Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Rewiring a 74 Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 PM
droff85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewiring a 74 Sporty

I am trying to rewire my 74 sporty but I have no idea were the brake light switch for the rear brakes go. If anyone can show me a picture it would be a great help. The location is the biggest problem I have. I have looked all over and cannot find a mounting location. I bought a "factory" type replacement but I have never seen one so that will help too. Thanks again.

Droff

Old 10-01-2009, 10:15 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by droff85
I am trying to rewire my 74 sporty but I have no idea were the brake light switch for the rear brakes go. If anyone can show me a picture it would be a great help. The location is the biggest problem I have. I have looked all over and cannot find a mounting location. I bought a "factory" type replacement but I have never seen one so that will help too. Thanks again.

Droff
Here is a pic of an original that came on a 1971. The 1974 should be the same. A tab mounts on the metal brake rod (bolts around it).
On the swing arm there should be a tab with a hole in it. This is where the switch mounts.
To activate the switch, the brake lever is applied and the bolt on tab on the rod moves away from the switch, allowing the spring loaded button to come out and this switches on the brake light.
Let go of the pedal and it returns to home position and shuts off the brake light............ pg

Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 PM
droff85
Advanced

thanks for the pic. that tells alot. now I wonder how this will work with aftermarket forward controls that use a cable to actuate the rear brake.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Forward controls or not, same case that switch is in rod that goes to reardrum parallel with swing.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks for the pic. that tells alot. now I wonder how this will work with aftermarket forward controls that use a cable to actuate the rear brake.
If the cable goes all the way to the rear brake this is not going to work. However, if you have a steel rod on the back of the system then it will.
As I said, the factory set up has a tab welded on the right side of the swing arm section, just in front of the right shock.
Many times a 'so-called customizer' will cut off this tab in an attempt to 'clean up the frame'............. pg

Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I expect you the Daniel Boone forward controls. These are a very bad design. Lots of discussions on various forums about these. They break at the welds; they are, IMO, dangerous - your foot does no sit over the pedal so that in emergency stops as you have to lift your foot completely off the peg and bring it around to the brake pedal to stop.

IMO trash them; order the ones from KC International, KCINT on eBay. $169 plus shipping. These are the very best forward controls for 1957 to 1974 XLs. And you brake light switch will install correctly.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM
droff85
Advanced

Sounds good but I have already bought the Daniel Boone FC b/c they were the only ones I could afford at the time. So unless someone wants to buy the ones I've got so that I can buy those then I'll just have to make due.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
judge33
Stage II
Default your brake switch

have you gotten the info; u need , if not call me 972-887-3107 i'll send you photos &walk u thru it "brakeswitch" judge

Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
droff85
Advanced

hey piniongear I am to the point were I am ready to mount the brake light switch. Can you show me a picture of what the bracket for the switch looks like. Someone cut the one off of my frame so I am going to have to make one and welded it on myself. Also would you include the distance of how far the tab is from either the back or the front of the swingarm. I think measuring from the back would be easier.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

hey piniongear I am to the point were I am ready to mount the brake light switch. Can you show me a picture of what the bracket for the switch looks like. Someone cut the one off of my frame so I am going to have to make one and welded it on myself. Also would you include the distance of how far the tab is from either the back or the front of the swingarm. I think measuring from the back would be easier.
I will try to take a pic or two this afternoon and get the info to you.
pg

Quick Reply: Rewiring a 74 Sporty