Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

76 XLCH smoking

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM
dukester
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask the seller about the history of the bike, any repairs, problems?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM
sanmanbob
2nd Gear

Today I took off the exhaust pipe and fount there to be no seal thats #1, #2 is I took out the plugs and they were pretty burnt up. I know these are fairly new plugs. It smokes more when I give it throttle. The miles are unknown. The guage was replaced after 1300 miles. The original owner put a S&S shorty carb and aircleaner on it . He also painted the cylinders without cleaning it up. Kinda looks like grease build up (poor job). It idles at 1500 when choke is at half, when choke is dropped all the way it jumps to about 2000rpms is this normal? I got a pic of it in my album I dont know how to insert it over here yet. Thanks alot guys for all the info already left for me. I appreciate all the help.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

There are no exhaust seals on IronHeads.

Normal idle is ~1000 RPM warmed up. Choke 1/2 out 1500 would be reasonable. 2000 probably OK for full choke.

But should not use any choke except to start, then shut choke off as soon as possible, like less than a minute. Otherwise will foul the plugs.

Greasy filth is not a problem - just needs TLC.

Smokes when given throttle probably not a serious problem. Perhaps rings are getting worn. It will need a rebuild some time but that can wait until other stuff is sorted out. JMO. See what others say about this as i am not expert.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

Can you not read?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sanmanbob
Today I took off the exhaust pipe and fount there to be no seal thats #1, #2 is I took out the plugs and they were pretty burnt up. I know these are fairly new plugs. It smokes more when I give it throttle. The miles are unknown. The guage was replaced after 1300 miles. The original owner put a S&S shorty carb and aircleaner on it . He also painted the cylinders without cleaning it up. Kinda looks like grease build up (poor job). It idles at 1500 when choke is at half, when choke is dropped all the way it jumps to about 2000rpms is this normal? I got a pic of it in my album I dont know how to insert it over here yet. Thanks alot guys for all the info already left for me. I appreciate all the help.
Most Sportsters with a few miles (or more) on them will smoke a little.
Yours may just have some wear which your anticipated top end rebuild at the end of the season will take care of. Meanwhile, just run the bike and enjoy it. If the oil burning gets really bad you may begin to oil foul the plugs.
Should that happen, try a set of plugs one heat range warmer. Another trick you can do is install a thick copper washer under each plug. You can get them at an auto parts house. This raises the plug up off the piston just a bit and the result is a warming heat range. The best option though is to simple get a warmer set of plugs.

Here is how you post a pic.....

pg

Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 PM
sanmanbob
2nd Gear

Hey DynaMan, I dont know if that last comment was aimed at me but, I did read your post and I appreciate your help. I am not ignoring your information you have given me. This is my first HD. I never worked on a bike and I plan on riding this bike 160 miles a day to and from work. I'm just putting out additional concerns. I'm not here to waste anyones time. I'm here to learn from experienced riders and builders. Thank you again for your help its very much appreciated. Would you put your *** on a bike that was smoking and stalling and ride it 160 miles? Thank you IronMick for your help and thanks to everyone that gave me positive info. Cheers

Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
sanmanbob
2nd Gear

Thanks Piniongear. Much appreciated

Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

I have definitively answered your initial question.
After that, others post as if they could not even read the initial question.
You do not have to be especially nice to me, nor explain yourself. I will help you anyway.
And for the record, the statement "There are no (valve) seals on Ironheads" is just plain wrong.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
I have definitively answered your initial question.
After that, others post as if they could not even read the initial question.
You do not have to be especially nice to me, nor explain yourself. I will help you anyway.
And for the record, the statement "There are no (valve) seals on Ironheads" is just plain wrong.
I hope you were banned for being too hard-headed to know that EARLY IRONHEADS DON'T HAVE VALVE SEALS, unless somebody has reworked them. Can't you read?