Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Flywheel ID

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Weed's Ironscoot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel ID

Mick, or anyone else. On my '83 Roadster that is supposed to have an 1150 kit installed, here are what marks I see as the flywheels come around. A single dot, then a vertical line or groove, then four holes-one right after the other and finally what looks like a number 8 laying on its side or horizontally.
Is there anything else I should look for?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:19 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

These are the timing marks from a stock flywheel. The line is the front cylinder advance timing mark, the dot is the front cylinder top dead center mark, the lazy eight is a rear cylinder timing mark; the holes are not significant AFAIK.

The next thing to find out is how much the cylinders have been bored. They could be STD [standard], or a multiple of .010 oversize up to .070 over which is the maximum. But to determine this you must remove a cylinder head; then either clean the top of the piston and see what is engraved there, or measure the cylinders/pistons. The usual procedure is to not do this unless there is another reason to pull the top end.

I have not done the calculations in a while, but i do not think you can get anywhere near 1150 by boring cylinders. And it is not a stroker crank.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Weed's Ironscoot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was skeptical when I bought the bike, but then I didn't buy it just because it was supposed to have the kit in it either. The more I tinker with it and look around at this and that the more skeptical I become. It just doesn't look like to me that it's been apart before....at least not for some time.
Unless something goes bad I don't really want to pull a head off just to look around.
As for my other not running right issues, I haven't had a chance to look at the carb yet. I have a new set of 1 3/4" pipes coming. I replaced the hard dried out plug wires and pulled the plugs to take a look at 'em. They actually looked ok, light brown or tan with just a little black carbon around the edges. They were gapped close though, like .018-.020. I cleaned them, reset the gap at .042 and put them back in. I didn't get to ride it today and try it out because I'm still fooling with those cheezy forward controls that I bought......hopefully tomorrow.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:40 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

The spark plug gap should be about .040 for electronic ignition. If it has been converted to points it should be about .030.