Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Cv carb for ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cv carb for ironhead

I bought a late model CV Carb from a Canadian that wanted a S&S on his shovelhead, it has the adapter for my 81 on it already so it will bolt in to my intake, and he gave me with it a bracket for the air filter and many pieces including replacement jets.
Question is. The CV has 2 vacuum lines; my ironhead does not have any, CAN I JUST PLUG THOSE LINES, DOES THE LATE MODEL CV NEED THEM TO RUN PROPERLY??

Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

hey NEAL --I dont know the answer to your question sorry.I was just hoping when you get it squared away you would post how it runs compared to the s&s.I was told it was a big improvement by an old gray haired biker and it made me wonder what i was missing.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those vacumlines can be just pluged, if you are running points ignition. If you have electronic ignition there might be VOES switch in system that needs vacum, usually that has connected to manifold. Some tips from Affe page...
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~affe2/hdlo...tml#1093071854

Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

One vacuum line is for a vacuum operated fuel petcock, the other is for a VOES [Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch]. Like Sepi says you can plug these; just remove them and put a rubber cover over the nipple. You can buy these rubber covers at any auto parts store.

If you run an electronic ignition you can use a VOES to improve performance.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

Mine is an 81 electronic ignition but not running VOES, so i will plug them and put the carb on. yes i will post photos as soon as i put the carb on and will give you the real deal on the mod.
My stock carb is working about as good as i can make it work, but it has its litte issues

Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Default Update

The factory 81 cables will not work, i am sure i can cut the braided guard around the cable but dont want to. I will look for a cable from another sportster model so any ideas here are welcome.

I dont know why some others that have done this mod have trouble with tank fit UNLESS, i have the small tank and not the 3 gallon.

The carb with the intake adapter will bolt up no problems, once i take care of the cable it should be an easy mod

Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Default The CV Carb

I got around to working on the bike a little today, i installed the carburator, new fuel line, cap the vacum, i turned on the fuel and fuel satarted coming out the bottom of the carb, so i shut off the fuel.

I took out the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb and the gasked had some gasket sealer on it, a bad thing because it gives me the idea that it was leaking, but am only having some fun here, so i will get a gasket tomorrow and repeat the procedure.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it leaks again, try tapping on the side of the float bowl with the plastic handle of a large screwdriver, it sometimes helps seat the needle valve, if you are lucky.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neal Perez
I got around to working on the bike a little today, i installed the carburator, new fuel line, cap the vacum, i turned on the fuel and fuel satarted coming out the bottom of the carb, so i shut off the fuel.

I took out the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb and the gasked had some gasket sealer on it, a bad thing because it gives me the idea that it was leaking, but am only having some fun here, so i will get a gasket tomorrow and repeat the procedure.

I think that you need to check that float isn't stuck or it's in correct level to prevent leaking.
Needle valve may leaking or has "trash" on sealing surface, you can test it: remove bowl gently push float up and open petcock no fuel shouldn't leak.

If there isn't any visuable damages in sealing surfaces it should hold without sealer, only with gasket.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

I think that you need to check that float isn't stuck or it's in correct level to prevent leaking.

Needle valve may leaking or has "trash" on sealing surface, you can test it: remove bowl gently push float up and open petcock no fuel shouldn't leak.

SEPIXLH. When i push up the float and open petcock fuel run out with nothing stoping it, by the way i put a new gasket, also the needle valve looks beat up

If there isn't any visuable damages in sealing surfaces it should hold without sealer, only with gasket

Quick Reply: Cv carb for ironhead