LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire Wanna ride Livewire.......it's comin to Clevelend.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
The obvious question is why wouldn't HD make the brake light come on when heavy deceleration begins?
Originally Posted by load97
Why don't they do it to the current ones as well, right?
I could see the "need" on an electric bike. It's slowing quickly, just like braking, when you let off the power.....

On a regular bike, I don't see the "need". I wouldn't want it... just another electronic do-dad to have issues with.....

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (10-24-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by CRocks
Rode today + it was INCREDIBLE! Did the static test first, then watched a vid, then did a 20 min test ride. Handles like a DREAM! Acceleration instantaneous as is the deceleration. Don't really need to use the brakes, but flashed the back lites so the bikes behind me knew I was stoppin. So kewl not havin to clutch/shift/brake. Even like the the turbine like sound. The forward seating position not friendly to this old body, but probably necessary or the damned thing would flip right over on acceleration. Only other complaint, rear view mirrors were worthless, showed my hands, nothin on either side of me. Overall, ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, don't miss it if you get the chance to ride one.

Hmm. Deceleration is so fast you had to flash the brake light so you didn't get hit from behind, seating position is not comfortable and the mirrors are worthless. All that and you still "ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT?"
Judging by your comments and the swarm of attendees at the big demo it looks like Harley has another winner on their hands. One thing though. If they paint the gray frame and the triple trees flat black and get rid of the red accents that just might be the cherry on an otherwise stale cupcake.

Last edited by Hey Man; 10-15-2018 at 04:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (10-24-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 11:16 AM
yzracer2
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to ride a production model. Also curious to find out the real world specs on cost and battery capacity.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:12 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Well more info will be released at the CES in Vegas. From a salesperson I spoke with, only certain dealers are able to sell the Livewire due to the investment it takes to install a level 3 charging station along with having a service station set up. Lots of investment. This would be great for those that own an EV vehicles because it will lure new customers into HD dealerships.

Im just hoping the price is going to be reasonable. Im hoping under 20K with a 200 mile range.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:59 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Well more info will be released at the CES in Vegas. From a salesperson I spoke with, only certain dealers are able to sell the Livewire due to the investment it takes to install a level 3 charging station along with having a service station set up. Lots of investment. This would be great for those that own an EV vehicles because it will lure new customers into HD dealerships.

Im just hoping the price is going to be reasonable. Im hoping under 20K with a 200 mile range.
I hope the same! But i feel it is not gonna be cheep. A lot of money are going to be spend by HD to market this baby, so i think yhis first one is going to cost a lot.
I signed up to test ride one but hd never called me back... probably is going to arrive later here in Italy

Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb

I'm hoping that as well, but...

I think that is bit far fetched. The prototype Live Wire had a maximum range of 50 miles in the lower powered mode and 40 miles in the fun mode. I'd be surprised if the MoCo could quadruple that. But who knows, the top of the line Zero SR has a claimed range of 223 miles in the city, 112 miles highway at 70 MPH and 150 mile combined with the extra charge tank the price comes in just under $20,000.

If I used one for commuting I'd get the rapid charger instead of the power tank since my office building has the high speed chargers in the parking garage (for free)

I'm betting the live wire comes in with a city range of 100 miles and a price just over $30,000. In which case I'd get a Zero instead.

Last edited by VAFish; 01-07-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:56 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e.../livewire.html

Right from the MoCo's website. STARTING at $29,799, "coming" August 2019, 110 mile range. Just for Ch!ts and giggles, I looked at dealers near me in NJ and FL, and neither of my dealers are among the "anointed" ones. Too bad.

And, if was was going to spend north of $25K for an electric bike, I'd buy one of these sexy Eyetalian beeyatches...https://www.energicamotor.com/energi...ic-motorcycle/. I'm signed up (on the waiting list, anyway) for a test ride at the dealer nearest to me (150 miles!!) in the next month or so.

I hope the MoCo does well with it, but it may have just priced itself in for a big flop.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 01-07-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
I'm hoping that as well, but...

I'm betting the live wire comes in with a city range of 100 miles and a price just over $30,000. In which case I'd get a Zero instead.

Originally Posted by shorelasHD

Right from the MoCo's website. STARTING at $29,799, "coming" August 2019, 110 mile range. Just for Ch!ts and giggles, I looked at dealers near me in NJ and FL, and neither of my dealers are among the "anointed" ones. Too bad.

.......:
Damn I called that one close. Within 10 miles on the range and $200 on the price.

I'm 8 miles from one dealership and 11 miles from another, and both of them seem to allow pre order of the livewire.

Last edited by VAFish; 01-08-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:15 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD

And, if was was going to spend north of $25K for an electric bike, I'd buy one of these sexy Eyetalian beeyatches...https://www.energicamotor.com/energi...ic-motorcycle/. I'm signed up (on the waiting list, anyway) for a test ride at the dealer nearest to me (150 miles!!) in the next month or so.

I hope the MoCo does well with it, but it may have just priced itself in for a big flop.
Ya, 30k is too much for that mile range. What's the mile range on the Energica? Components are top notch, i am really impressed with the project

Old 01-23-2019, 04:40 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
Damn I called that one close. Within 10 miles on the range and $200 on the price.

I'm 8 miles from one dealership and 11 miles from another, and both of them seem to allow pre order of the livewire.
Your guess doesn't count when it's made after they already announced the details... Just saying.