Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,451 Likes on 3,744 Posts

Originally Posted by compros
Bought the bike Jul 29th. Road it with out any issues until about 700 miles. Started it one morning (and yes it was cold out) seemed to idle higher then normal. Then idled down so thought nothing of it. When coming home that afternoon noticed the bike idles at 1500 RPMs when rolling but 1000 at a complete stop. Took it in for the 1000 service and told them about it and they said they did not see an issue?? (I do have some parts added to the bike - FP3, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and RCX 4.5 slip-ons) I did use the tuner to set it for the add on parts per Vance and Hines prior to this happening. Went back Sat and asked to take a bone stock Ultra out for a ride. No issue with idle drops right back to about 1000 RPMs. So talked to service again and told them the issue. They blamed the FP3 and the tuning. I said I had already returned the bike to the stock MAP and still had the issue. So they next said they wanted to flash the ECM back to factory so they did. They rode it and said I see you do have an issue. We will call Harley about it this week. So I took the bike home and parked it. Got on it Sunday to ride a little and now it wont even start. Had to have it trailed back the dealer. Waiting for the dealer update now. Very frustrated. currently 1044 miles on the bike. Another quick note with in 200 miles of buying it the BOOM Infotaiment system went completely blank. No radio, NAV, nothing. Left it over night and worked again. Told the dealer and the answer again was they flashed the firmware (not an update just the same version)
FP3 voids your warranty.. I think the motor is supposed to high idle until stopping. Its a smog thing..

Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Small issue probably but just have a question none the less. After my 5K service I found my front break lever sticking so now I have to push it back to release it. My question is can I try spraying some lube in it by the pin or is it more complex than that like the pressure in the hydraulics isn't pulling it back out? Maybe a stupid question but I just don't know and don't want to gum it up and make it worse by spraying silicon or something else in that area. Thanks

Old 08-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,451 Likes on 3,744 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
Small issue probably but just have a question none the less. After my 5K service I found my front break lever sticking so now I have to push it back to release it. My question is can I try spraying some lube in it by the pin or is it more complex than that like the pressure in the hydraulics isn't pulling it back out? Maybe a stupid question but I just don't know and don't want to gum it up and make it worse by spraying silicon or something else in that area. Thanks

Take it back to the dealer.. There is supposed to be a spring in the master cylinder that pushes the lever back.. Sounds like the lever somehow got tweaked and is binding up..

The following users liked this post:
mchertel (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM
TAKITO SEXY
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
FP3 voids your warranty.. I think the motor is supposed to high idle until stopping. Its a smog thing..
^^^that, my M8 with little over 5k miles does the same from time to time, even my old Yamaha did it.

My 2007 Toyota Sequoia has like a second air filter box on top of the engine, supposed to burn the left over carbon/emissions/smog or some chit like that, revs up a little bit before coming to a complete stop.

Same difference, keep us updated.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:40 AM
reimerj
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Same issue started at 5500 miles.

Originally Posted by compros
Bought the bike Jul 29th. Road it with out any issues until about 700 miles. Started it one morning (and yes it was cold out) seemed to idle higher then normal. Then idled down so thought nothing of it. When coming home that afternoon noticed the bike idles at 1500 RPMs when rolling but 1000 at a complete stop. Took it in for the 1000 service and told them about it and they said they did not see an issue?? (I do have some parts added to the bike - FP3, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and RCX 4.5 slip-ons) I did use the tuner to set it for the add on parts per Vance and Hines prior to this happening. Went back Sat and asked to take a bone stock Ultra out for a ride. No issue with idle drops right back to about 1000 RPMs. So talked to service again and told them the issue. They blamed the FP3 and the tuning. I said I had already returned the bike to the stock MAP and still had the issue. So they next said they wanted to flash the ECM back to factory so they did. They rode it and said I see you do have an issue. We will call Harley about it this week. So I took the bike home and parked it. Got on it Sunday to ride a little and now it wont even start. Had to have it trailed back the dealer. Waiting for the dealer update now. Very frustrated. currently 1044 miles on the bike. Another quick note with in 200 miles of buying it the BOOM Infotaiment system went completely blank. No radio, NAV, nothing. Left it over night and worked again. Told the dealer and the answer again was they flashed the firmware (not an update just the same version)
I bought my '17 Ultra Limited May 16 and have just about 6k miles now. At about 5500 miles I started experiencing this same issue. When coasting to a stop for a light or turn my idle will rev up to around 1400 RPM unless I pop it into neutral and release the clutch. It also returns to the normal 950 RPM as soon as you come to a complete stop. The Service Manager at my local HD tells me he hasn't heard of anything like this yet but to keep an eye on it. I do have a stage 1 installed, Freedom Performance True Duels and the SE Ventilator Air Cleaner Kit tuned by the HD SE Street Turner Pro. My bike has been running very well except for this issue. Please post if you get a solution to this issue and I will do the same.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:55 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I don't think bike revving higher while coasting's an issue. Done it before my stage one and bikes always run purrrfeft

Old 08-22-2017, 01:05 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by reimerj
I bought my '17 Ultra Limited May 16 and have just about 6k miles now. At about 5500 miles I started experiencing this same issue. When coasting to a stop for a light or turn my idle will rev up to around 1400 RPM unless I pop it into neutral and release the clutch. It also returns to the normal 950 RPM as soon as you come to a complete stop. The Service Manager at my local HD tells me he hasn't heard of anything like this yet but to keep an eye on it. I do have a stage 1 installed, Freedom Performance True Duels and the SE Ventilator Air Cleaner Kit tuned by the HD SE Street Turner Pro. My bike has been running very well except for this issue. Please post if you get a solution to this issue and I will do the same.
sounds like the clutch switch is failing, next time the idle acts up see if your bike will start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

reimerj (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:29 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
My twinky does thT coming to a stop where id ideles to about 1400 and settles at 1000 when stop in completed
Don't see that as an issue as my bike runs perfect
My TC RK does the same thing and I also have my second TC with an Fp3, it is not an issue for me. Other riders have reported similar with other tuners.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:01 PM
jprunner
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the exact same issue from the beginning. This is my first Harley ('17 RGS) and I had the 4.5" RCX pipes and SE air cleaner installed before I took delivery. I assumed the problem was related to whatever they did with the tuner, but 2000 miles later they finally figured out that the intake seals were leaking. Once they were replaced, the bike began running how I believe it's supposed to - when you let go of the throttle, the revs drop. It also had a tendency to stall out coming to a stop, but that doesn't happen anymore either. I can only assume it came from the factory that way since the bike only had 20 or so miles on it and I was the first owner.

Have the dealer (or do it yourself) look for slow or minor oil leaks (if there is such a thing) - that seems to be how they found the problem. I wish I could tell you more, but I am now really enjoying the bike like I hoped.

reimerj (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:08 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you flash the ECM with the Stage I update using your SE Pro Street Tuner? If you did that then you should probably take the bike out on the road with the tuner plugged in and do two or three smart tunes. That usually makes a pretty big improvement over just the basic Stage I update. The Screaming Eagle Tuning manual recommends that you further tune with a dyno or use the smart tune function of your tuner. My experience is that it does improve the overall performance a bunch. I too had the issue where it developed a fast idle when coming to a stop. My fast idle had me going about 20 mph when I was trying to stop the damn thing. Not good!

reimerj (08-23-2017)

Quick Reply: M8 problems