M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 02:49 PM
lfb54570
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool M8 stalling

Originally Posted by hardheaded
post problems with the new M8 engines here.
Inquiry; Is anyone else experiencing stalling issues on the M8? 2017 TriGlide I'm having intermittent stalling with clutch pulled completely in and coasting. Weather slowing down to crawl over a speed bump or driveway, make a sharp turn or just stop and go traffic. Isn't setting any DTC's and dealer wasn't able to find a problem. 1300 miles on bike and it's been going on since about the 600 mile mark. thought it might have been bad gas, but 4 tanks later still happening. I only found one other report of this problem on YouTube.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 833 Likes on 498 Posts

Hey Bigiron, Could you give us more detail about the "bad cam run" and part number? Do you have a stock 107 or a stage kit? How do you identify the cam part number?

Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is what the Svc. Mgr. told me. There may be a service bulletin about it, or it may be a "super secret" memo from HD. When I picked up my Trike I forgot to ask for a copy of the work done. My bad. I'll ask for a copy the next time I stop by the dealership. Build date on my Trike was 8/02/16, indicating an early production. Trike is in stock configuration, until warranty runs out.

Last edited by Bigiron; 09-04-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Biskit69
Stage II

just picked up a slightly (8k miles) used 2017 road glide with a M8. The only thing i have found is occasionally it lopes, when at the light like it is hitting on only one cylinder but it goes away and stabilizes at 1K rpm.

Anybody else have these issues ?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM
TBennett1962
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Biskit69
just picked up a slightly (8k miles) used 2017 road glide with a M8. The only thing i have found is occasionally it lopes, when at the light like it is hitting on only one cylinder but it goes away and stabilizes at 1K rpm.

Anybody else have these issues ?
It is designed to do that if you have the EITMS is enabled. You can disable it if you choose. I keep mine enabled to help keep the engine cool when idling for extended periods of time.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Biskit69
Stage II

Ok that sounds good. The issue is that when that happens the RPM bounce from 650 - 1000 creating that loping effect.

But now that i know what it is i can probably work around it.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:58 AM
TBennett1962
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Biskit69
Ok that sounds good. The issue is that when that happens the RPM bounce from 650 - 1000 creating that loping effect.

But now that i know what it is i can probably work around it.

Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. It does kind of freak you out when it happens and you don't expect it.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,339 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Originally Posted by TBennett1962
It is designed to do that if you have the EITMS is enabled. You can disable it if you choose. I keep mine enabled to help keep the engine cool when idling for extended periods of time.
Does nothing for the motor.. Supposed to cool things for the riders.

BTW you can change it buy simply rolling the throttle off past it's normal stop.. Cruize will light up and either orange or green when the change takes and you can stop twisting the throttle.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:26 PM
TBennett1962
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Does nothing for the motor.. Supposed to cool things for the riders.

BTW you can change it buy simply rolling the throttle off past it's normal stop.. Cruize will light up and either orange or green when the change takes and you can stop twisting the throttle.
Not trying to start an agument on here but it does help the engine too according to this:
Explanation of EITMS in biker terms:

When engine temperature reaches a predetermined point at idle, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become an “air pump” which will work to cool the engine. The cylinder will suck in air to cool the engine. The only reason I bring it up was because a saleman told one of my buddies that bought a new Road Glide he left his off because people looked at him funny when it kicked on at a stoplight. I'd rather keep my engine cooler if possible rather than worry about what a person thinks of my bike running funny.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,339 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Originally Posted by TBennett1962
Not trying to start an agument on here but it does help the engine too according to this:
Explanation of EITMS in biker terms:

When engine temperature reaches a predetermined point at idle, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become an “air pump” which will work to cool the engine. The cylinder will suck in air to cool the engine. The only reason I bring it up was because a saleman told one of my buddies that bought a new Road Glide he left his off because people looked at him funny when it kicked on at a stoplight. I'd rather keep my engine cooler if possible rather than worry about what a person thinks of my bike running funny.
And you believed the salesman??

From the owners manual..

The Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) can provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder for riders who frequently find themselves in prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion. Riders can enable or disable EITMS to complement their riding style.
It's doesn't really cool the motor overall. It pushes the heat to the front..

Quick Reply: M8 problems