Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Never2Late
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
I assume CNA is Cornerstone. If the rotor failed and the claim is worded as such and extended service contract can elect to replace them. Every extended contract I have ever read will not cover friction brake parts such as pads/rotors.
CNA is the warranty company that handles the Harley Extended Service Plan issues. lt is not Cornerstone. On both occasions the rotors were warped enough to have a noticeable pulsing in the brake lever rolling to a slow stop. But they were covered.

Originally Posted by checkers
Are you considering an M8?
For sure. Financially l can't swing it till Jan-Feb of '18. l would keep my 2011 for a little longer, but CNA ESP that would of lasted till 12/12/2017 expired early since they have paid out what the purchase price was, $23,699.00.

Plus both of my riding buddies purchased 2017's. So l am odd man out. But mine still runs great.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-23-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:09 AM
ChromeSporty
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Don't wanna lay the chance of any possible jinx on ya brother. I strongly believe that what goes around, eventually comes back to the flinger. And I'm more than happy that you and your new bike are happy. But be sensitive to others. Consider this thread as sought of therapy session for ppl going through a rough time. No one wants to get slapped by some happy go ****er.
Thanks for reading and ride safe.
BTW when I said 30k I meant to say 30,000 kilometers or 20,000 miles. The bike is 11 years old and definitely speaks of Harley Quality. From all the blogs I've read the M8 is a fantastic motor. It's a new product and is just having growing pains.

Out of curiosity I read the complete blog and have made up my mind to wait a couple of years before venturing into an M8. Also I am waiting to see if the're going to plant an M8 into a Heritage soft tail. I love the classic styling of the Heritage.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:13 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Well I damn sure feel for you Bob. While my issues haven't varied as much as yours I'm on my 6th visit to the dealer for the same issue. Oil being pushed into the air filter. Even a new engine and upgraded pump didn't resolve the problem.
Even worse I now also have oil leaking from between the front cylinder tappet block and the engine case. Is it coming from the cylinder base, tappet block gasket or a porous casting? Can't tell but it's running down the front of the engine and marking the garage floor. The factory reps have already been to my dealer twice and failed so far to fix the original problem.

I have no doubt this is all related to the sumping issues that the MOCO still can't get their hands around. For almost 30 years Harley and I have had a fair
relationship. They took my money and I rode their bikes with great reliability.

That's no longer the case.
Well I stopped by my dealer this morning to get an update. The service manager told me after sending the recent batch of photos to Harley they've approved a replacement bike. I can take a 2017 off the floor or wait until the first week in September when they receive their first 2018 Limited. I'll wait for the 2018. As incredibly frustrating as this has been Harley is doing the right thing.

Last edited by LA VIC; 07-22-2017 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Well I stopped by my dealer this morning to get an update. The service manager told me after sending the recent batch of photos to Harley they've approved a replacement bike. I can take a 2017 off the floor or wait until the first week in September when they receive their first 2018 Limited. I'll wait for the 2018. As incredibly frustrating as this has been Harley is doing the right thing.
Glad you're getting satisfaction. Nothing worse than taking a frustrated customer and making them a former customer.

Dealing with that with verizon who refuses to stand by their phone. Lol

Good,luck with that 18!

Last edited by teedoff65; 07-22-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:55 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeSporty
BTW when I said 30k I meant to say 30,000 kilometers or 20,000 miles. The bike is 11 years old and definitely speaks of Harley Quality. From all the blogs I've read the M8 is a fantastic motor. It's a new product and is just having growing pains.

Out of curiosity I read the complete blog and have made up my mind to wait a couple of years before venturing into an M8. Also I am waiting to see if the're going to plant an M8 into a Heritage soft tail. I love the classic styling of the Heritage.
sorry I that my multi quoted comment wasn't specific enough. I was pointing at this...
Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck You scare easy Boo
And not that Redrodyankneck was out of line or offensive, or anything like that. I understand where he's coming from. Just that not all of us are as confident as some when dealing with mechanical issues as he might be. Just that like some, I prefer to ride and not have worry about getting stranded.
And like you, I love softails.
In my honest opinion, the MoCo was behind schedule on developing a new motor and they knew it. The writing's on the wall. And I also understand that there's no such thing as perfect.
So questions I have. And they are... Did they rush into production?
Poor assembly?
Faulty electronic modules?
Improper applications of fasteners?
These are where most issues lean on.
Issues not worth scrapping the M8 motor IMO, because they do seem rather petty after all.
So yeah. I'm not afraid. Just sitting it out.

Last edited by splattttttt; 07-23-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:54 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Picked up my ultra limited from 1000 mile service on Saturday. Had them put my oils in. I will say this, as soon as I started it, felt different. Felt stronger on acceleration, and drove like a dream. I know my oils didn't do that, I was just saying I used my own oil. I laid into the throttle when I got on the expressway and it really felt great. I'm going to keep my eye on everything, but so far, so good.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:37 PM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
sorry I that my multi quoted comment wasn't specific enough. I was pointing at this...
Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck You scare easy Boo
And not that Redrodyankneck was out of line or offensive, or anything like that. I understand where he's coming from. Just that not all of us are as confident as some when dealing with mechanical issues as he might be. Just that like some, I prefer to ride and not have worry about getting stranded.
And like you, I love softails.
In my honest opinion, the MoCo was behind schedule on developing a new motor and they knew it. The writing's on the wall. And I also understand that there's no such thing as perfect.
So questions I have. And they are... Did they rush into production?
Poor assembly?
Faulty electronic modules?
Improper applications of fasteners?
These are where most issues lean on.
Issues not worth scrapping the M8 motor IMO, because they do seem rather petty after all.
So yeah. I'm not afraid. Just sitting it out.

Anyone who decides not to buy a new bike solely based on this particular forum, or any other forum that focuses on bad things only, is a moron. I know 3 other people besides myself who own Ultra Limiteds, plus have run into many more on the road who absolutely love them and have had zero issues. My biggest complaint, if you wanna call it that, is its not loud enough. I have the 4" Street Cannons with a stage one kit and tuner. I understand not buying for whatever reason someone may be waiting on, but, if it's only based on the small # of issues compared to the amount of these bikes sold, then that's just stupid. Before anyone cuts me down, I don't know the ratio of bikes sold with problems to bikes sold without problems. I am very curious if that info is available.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Thanks for the kind words bro. You're awesome

Old 07-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Rapperdog
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

So far...after 1800 miles on the M8 Ultra Limited, the only issue I've had is the water pump cover falling off. Bike runs great, loads of power. Probably the only Harley I've owned I'll be leaving stock as far as drive train. I have no need for more torque or HP.
The suspension is very different from my 2010 FLH. More stable and smooth.
Haven't been able to get into the dealer for the 1000 mile check. They are too busy. Got an appointment for next week. Will most likely have another 500 miles on by then. So far...steady as she goes...

Quick Reply: M8 problems