Sponsored by:

2017 Engine Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,999 Likes on 17,504 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Don't know your background.. Do you work in manufacturing or repair when it comes to mechanics? My point was simply, was it a contaminate that got in during assembly, or something that broke off from somewhere during assembly or was it something shredding itself.. First 2 are common production issue on start up.. Later implies destruction / engineering issues.
40 plus years in various mechanical trades including 30 odd building bikes & engines particularly evo & older harleys both professionally and as a hobby. My pro side is kicking in here, failure analysis is one the things I do so all kinds of red flags are going up so to speak. The pics in here and a few other tech forums I haunt show serious pitting damage to a heavy gear face, residual machining chips or shaving in small ports on an aluminium valve body cannot account for what I see.

I've dealt with high speed oil bearing turbines and high pressure hydraulic systems in dirty environments so you get a feel for contaminate or foreign body damage on hard parts. Something sizable and hard went though that pump, question remains what was it and where did it come from.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,309 Likes on 3,660 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
40 plus years in various mechanical trades including 30 odd building bikes & engines particularly evo & older harleys both professionally and as a hobby. My pro side is kicking in here, failure analysis is one the things I do so all kinds of red flags are going up so to speak. The pics in here and a few other tech forums I haunt show serious pitting damage to a heavy gear face, residual machining chips or shaving in small ports on an aluminium valve body cannot account for what I see.

I've dealt with high speed oil bearing turbines and high pressure hydraulic systems in dirty environments so you get a feel for contaminate or foreign body damage on hard parts. Something sizable and hard went though that pump, question remains what was it and where did it come from.
Ok so your're the repair type.. Not the production type..

Thanks..

Old 09-30-2016, 08:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,999 Likes on 17,504 Posts

Ok so your're the repair type.. Not the production type..

Thanks..
Wrong again spent the last 26 at 2 car plants if being involved with shoving 400,000 cars a year out the door efficiently isn't production I can't imagine what is. Presently neck deep in ramping up for the future production line and developing processes for our new Model 3 at Tesla. I do everything from design, fabrication and in a large part solving production issues with numerous processes around the plant for the Model X and the flagship P85 sedans. Very familiar with sub standard inventory from suppliers, half my times spent figuring out ways to rework it till the issues solved at the source. It's a never ending process.

Quit trying to find a box to corner me in, you'll be looking a very long time with little success. And you are still avoiding my questions......

Old 09-30-2016, 09:54 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,745 Likes on 1,559 Posts

It's been a long time since georotors in a HD oil pump have been quarter sized. They ride on the crank. Kinda bigger than the crank.

Last edited by lp; 10-01-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
After looking at the 2017 Touring Parts Catalog, it shows 4 O-rings that are used to mount the coolant line assembly to the heads on both the oil cooled & twin cooled engines. Both motors used the same part number o-ring and Boardtracker HD list the part for $0.84 each. It also looks that these O-rings would be needed if the rocker box gaskets needed to be replaced. It a shame that the dealer does not have these in stock or that the factory would not sent them out with a new replacement motor. I guess the tech are still learning!!!
I'll bet they got T shirts and poker chips in stock though.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:50 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I'll bet they got T shirts and poker chips in stock though.
Now that is funny! Sad but true...

Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 AM
mlhampton13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlhampton13
As told to me by tech, metal piece was found at top of item 2 in parts photo. Keeping valve open, affecting oil pressure and causing oil light to come on. I have no problem with getting new engine. That's about all I can say on this subject.
Got my bike back, new engine. Runs great.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,309 Likes on 3,660 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Wrong again spent the last 26 at 2 car plants if being involved with shoving 400,000 cars a year out the door efficiently isn't production I can't imagine what is. Presently neck deep in ramping up for the future production line and developing processes for our new Model 3 at Tesla. I do everything from design, fabrication and in a large part solving production issues with numerous processes around the plant for the Model X and the flagship P85 sedans. Very familiar with sub standard inventory from suppliers, half my times spent figuring out ways to rework it till the issues solved at the source. It's a never ending process.

Quit trying to find a box to corner me in, you'll be looking a very long time with little success. And you are still avoiding my questions......
Not wrong, just not getting enough information.. Not trying to box you in.. Do feel like you either get off miss informing or are a little insecure about your position.. Ok so you've worked in a manufacturing environment. Can I question if you worked in the QA part?

I'm just trying to get a discussion going as to how serious the issues might be.. Not trying to corner you.. So far they look most of the issues I've seen are productions startup issues.. What are your ideas on the subject other than you are concerned?

It would be nice to see an intelligent discussion.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:57 AM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Not wrong, just not getting enough information.. Not trying to box you in.. Do feel like you either get off miss informing or are a little insecure about your position.. Ok so you've worked in a manufacturing environment. Can I question if you worked in the QA part?

I'm just trying to get a discussion going as to how serious the issues might be.. Not trying to corner you.. So far they look most of the issues I've seen are productions startup issues.. What are your ideas on the subject other than you are concerned?

It would be nice to see an intelligent discussion.
On this board????????????
Too many children with adult delusions and solutions.............

Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 PM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

May get mine back Tue. Tired of waiting. I just want to ride again before Fl. Trip
Tue morning got a call. Bike not being worked on because original mechanic is off today. So still waiting. Bike has been there since Sept.19th.
They've had the new motor since Sept. 27 th. I see plenty of other mechanics back there, why not let someone else finish this install that's been dragging on for 5 days?

Sorry boys I'm just at the end of my patience, thanks for letting me vent. Called the Mother Ship after that last phone call. They called the dealer service manager and called me back.
So now maybe Wed?

Last edited by StevieRay59; 10-04-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Engine Oil Light