Sponsored by:

2017 Engine Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,998 Likes on 17,504 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
First it don't look like a metal shaving. Second, it really depends on where the particle came from..
Kinda my point , it would take a healthy chunk of something to trash a gear face that large trust me. Oil pumps on the old bikes have gears a little smaller than a quarter with small teeth and I've seen cam bearing & lifter roller parts go through and not chew them near as bad.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,302 Likes on 3,658 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Kinda my point , it would take a healthy chunk of something to trash a gear face that large trust me. Oil pumps on the old bikes have gears a little smaller than a quarter with small teeth and I've seen cam bearing & lifter roller parts go through and not chew them near as bad.
The problem is that you think it came from inside the motor after assembly..

Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The scavenge pump side and the feed side on the oil cooled models look the same. While they are different it's not by much and would be hard to tell in a photo.

It looks like mlhampton13 has a Limited which should be a twin cooled engine. Does that make a difference in the oil pumps and what the pictures are showing?

The following users liked this post:
jgrohio (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,998 Likes on 17,504 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
The problem is that you think it came from inside the motor after assembly..
You related to my ex wife by any chance ? She thought she knew what was thinking all the time too or tried putting words in my mouth just like that.

Let me ask this again s l o w l y this time so all the short buss kids can catch it " Where did it come from in the first place and what was it ?" Don't presume to know what I think you don't know me nor my background in the mechanical fields. Nobody seems to asking this question, too many of this specific failure to be a outside introduced foreign contaminate in EVERY case.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:29 PM
mlhampton13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlhampton13
New engine on hand and photos of damage. Work being done here at Lone Wolf Harley Davidson, Spokane. Good crew there.
As told to me by tech, metal piece was found at top of item 2 in parts photo. Keeping valve open, affecting oil pressure and causing oil light to come on. I have no problem with getting new engine. That's about all I can say on this subject.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Engine Oil Light-20160930_060028.jpg  

Last edited by mlhampton13; 09-30-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:24 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,449 Likes on 1,586 Posts

This is just why HD is replacing motors as they want it all back to determine where it came from. What I have heard is they had a supplier issue not cleaning the parts out well enough and it was trapped inside the assemble when the engine got assembled. Once it was ran for awhile it came out and got caught in the relief valve after it had gone through the pump.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Bigiron (10-07-2016), Gamma742 (10-08-2016), mlhampton13 (10-01-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You related to my ex wife by any chance ? She thought she knew what was thinking all the time too or tried putting words in my mouth just like that.

Let me ask this again s l o w l y this time so all the short buss kids can catch it " Where did it come from in the first place and what was it ?" Don't presume to know what I think you don't know me nor my background in the mechanical fields. Nobody seems to asking this question, too many of this specific failure to be a outside introduced foreign contaminate in EVERY case.
Don't know your background.. Do you work in manufacturing or repair when it comes to mechanics? My point was simply, was it a contaminate that got in during assembly, or something that broke off from somewhere during assembly or was it something shredding itself.. First 2 are common production issue on start up.. Later implies destruction / engineering issues.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
This is just why HD is replacing motors as they want it all back to determine where it came from. What I have heard is they had a supplier issue not cleaning the parts out well enough and it was trapped inside the assemble when the engine got assembled. Once it was ran for awhile it came out and got caught in the relief valve after it had gone through the pump.
That's what I would think.. Also, they may have started stocking bins at different times in preparation for the builds.. Most of the stuff I've seen is startup manufacturing issues.. Heck they could have done a small pre production run and gotten 0 defects. Contamination could have happened as stuff is being moved around for final production line start..

Old 09-30-2016, 06:24 PM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like the same problem with mine, according to the service manager when he called saying I was getting a new motor. Motor is here but no O rings to mount the water pump. So still can't ride and I'm booked for a trip to Biketoberfest Oct 12-16th. Daytona Beach Fl. Grr!! Leaving from dealers lot in a tour bus. Bikes going by semi. Damn I need to ride a couple hundred before, make sure stuffs ok. Not happy that's for sure.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieRay59
Sounds like the same problem with mine, according to the service manager when he called saying I was getting a new motor. Motor is here but no O rings to mount the water pump. So still can't ride and I'm booked for a trip to Biketoberfest Oct 12-16th. Daytona Beach Fl. Grr!! Leaving from dealers lot in a tour bus. Bikes going by semi. Damn I need to ride a couple hundred before, make sure stuffs ok. Not happy that's for sure.

After looking at the 2017 Touring Parts Catalog, it shows 4 O-rings that are used to mount the coolant line assembly to the heads on both the oil cooled & twin cooled engines. Both motors used the same part number o-ring and Boardtracker HD list the part for $0.84 each. It also looks that these O-rings would be needed if the rocker box gaskets needed to be replaced. It a shame that the dealer does not have these in stock or that the factory would not sent them out with a new replacement motor. I guess the tech are still learning!!!

Quick Reply: 2017 Engine Oil Light