Test rode a Milwaukee 8 Road King yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:12 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts
Default Test rode a Milwaukee 8 Road King yesterday

Greetings,

Was at my local HD dealer yesterday, looking to use a HD gift card. When leaving I saw a 2017 Superior Blue and Billet Silver Road King sitting in the parking lot waiting for a test ride. It sat there.......taunting me. I went for a test ride!

Once I filled out the waivers and was adorned with the very fashionable blaze orange vest with the dealer plate showing on the back of the vest, I mounted this beautiful steed, gave it a little gas....and almost dropped it in the parking lot since I couldn't find the engagement zone on the clutch. It catches at the very far end of the throw of the lever. Once I found the friction zone, I meandered out of the parking lot and zipped up and down some local roads.

The good....

The engine......ROCKS!!!! I had installed Andrews 57H cams on my bike over the summer. Granted, I'm using the FP3 powered tune for the cams and I don't think the tune is all it can be, but according to my buttdynometer, the 107 has more pull from down low than my bike and the pull goes much further into the rev range than a stock 103. The RK felt faster than my bike from low to mid revs. The Rk is now over 100lbs heavier than the FLD and it feels gutsier than a Dyna with cams off the line to midway up the rev range. I don't know how the engine would translate in a Dyna, but it was.....smoooooooooth! NICE!

The suspension......is MUCH BETTER than previous. While it's not Ohlins level, the RK's suspension felt pretty damn nice for an HD. I purposely went hunting for road imperfections and it was not bad. You knew you just hit a pot hole, but the shock didn't jolt you nor did it make you feel like the bike might go out of control. Front end had less brake dive than a stock FLD, and from what I remember of the RK test ride 3 years ago, that RK had more front end dive

Transmission - I did not get the clunk going into 1st gear that is typical of just about every HD I've ever experienced. Very very smooth shifting.

Overall - Everything about the Milwaukee 8 RK reeks of refinement. The brakes are Brembo and A LOT better than the FLD's. The motor is smoooooooth and has really nice power. I was most impressed by how the bike handled though. When I was in bike buying mode at the time of the FLD purchase, I had test ridden a 2014 RK (1st Rushmore year). The take aways were, it handled really well, it was big and heavy bordering on ponderous. Perhaps from now owning a cruiser for 3 years this month, I'm more used to a heavier motorcycle because I did not get the "big and heavy" sensation as experienced from my previous RK test ride. I felt fully in control of the bike and never did I feel like I was in trouble with the weight. Turns felt a smidge more planned than my FLD, but stable and smooth.

The bad.....

The aforementioned clutch lever. I DID NOT like that the friction zone was all the way at the end of the throw. My fingers aren't long and don't feel natural trying to modulate the clutch at that distance. I do not know, but believe the RK now has a hydraulic clutch. I followed the clutch lines and did not see the cable adjuster. I'm guessing there is either an HD or aftermarket clutch lever that has adjustment in the throw. Having said all that, this wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Not necessarily a bad thing but I noticed the floor boards are positioned to the rear a bit more than the FLD's. The rear brake lever was definitely closer to the rider

Other - Overall, I REALLY like this bike. I'm not ready to get rid of my FLD yet, the RK really has me itching.

Last edited by rauchman; 10-02-2016 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
saddlebag (01-22-2021)
Old 10-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks for posting your impression, Harley has done a nice job with the new motor and upgraded suspension.

The following users liked this post:
saddlebag (01-22-2021)
Old 10-02-2016, 03:17 PM
NoLimitz
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I test rode the road glide ultra and absolutely was amazed. Coming from my wide glide my first thought upon saddling up i thought wow what a big bike. Once on the road the "big" bike wasnt big at all and manuvered very well. The motor had great power and not even trying i found myself cruising down i70 over 100 not even realizing it. I have no experience on a 16 model and couldnt compare. I am in the market for a road glide, wasnt even considering an ultra but am now. I now know that my new bike will be a 17. Great all around. I, myself didnt seem to notice the clutch issue you mentioned. Truley an amazing bike. I want to ride a road glide special and then the ultra again before i buy ( which is hard finding a 17 special around here) but definately now know that a new m8 is gonna be my new bike.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:14 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,309 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Since I have the 17 RK, with regards to suspension and such. This bike is actually tossable. Try that with my previous 16 SG and I would scare the **** out of myself.

You get used to the clutch but I do think it needs a wider engagement band as I find myself looking silly in some low speed take offs where if I have to hard turn at the same time.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:40 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
Since I have the 17 RK, with regards to suspension and such. This bike is actually tossable. Try that with my previous 16 SG and I would scare the **** out of myself.

You get used to the clutch but I do think it needs a wider engagement band as I find myself looking silly in some low speed take offs where if I have to hard turn at the same time.
The handling of this bike impressed the hell out of me. It didn't feel 106lbs heavier than my bike. When I had gotten my 2013 FLD, I had also test ridden the 2014 RK, as well as a Street Bob, Fat Bob and a 2005 Super Glide. On the same road doing left right transitions, the RK did it easier than the Fat Bob. Amazed at that.

The balance of the RK is superb and the bike feels very forgiving. I can not express enough how impressed I was with the overall bike.

I'm sitting here at my wife's computer as type this with multiple windows open to sights showing Road Kings. I dream of a Road King purchase and my wife sighs in the background....

Last edited by rauchman; 10-02-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:36 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Greetings,

Once I filled out the waivers and was adorned with the very fashionable blaze orange vest with the dealer plate showing on the back of the vest, I mounted this beautiful steed, gave it a little gas....and almost dropped it in the parking lot since I couldn't find the engagement zone on the clutch. It catches at the very far end of the throw of the lever. Once I found the friction zone, I meandered out of the parking lot and zipped up and down some local roads.
Been riding bikes for more than 30 years (yep I am an old man) and I did the same thing. Actually scared the crap out of me and was embarrassing. Had my feet up on the bike and it was still standing still for Christ sake. But I pulled the trigger, traded in the love of my life and bought a 2017 Ultra Limited. The bike is amazing. You can still feather the clutch but it takes some getting used to. By the way the techs said there is not way to adjust it.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:21 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Been riding bikes for more than 30 years (yep I am an old man)
When I had been riding bikes 30 years I was in my mid 30s. How old are you?

Old 10-03-2016, 02:21 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Test riding one on Thursday afternoon, hopefully I'll be impressed as considering trading in my slim S

Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
When I had been riding bikes 30 years I was in my mid 30s. How old are you?
That is funny, not saying.... Lets just say I am a late bloomer to motorcycles. Ride Safe.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:56 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
,,,, You can still feather the clutch but it takes some getting used to. By the way the techs said there is no way to adjust it.
I expect there will be a way in time. That is the first serious shortfall I've read about with the 2017 M8's and IMHO it IS serious. Clutch play, and the ability to adjust it, is a big deal.

Quick Reply: Test rode a Milwaukee 8 Road King yesterday