Sponsored by:

Slip Ons for M8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:06 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by bzb123
Also, keep in mind, these are touring bikes.

You might have a dealer who bends the rules, but that does not help when you are 1000 miles away from home and have a problem with a dealer who sticks to the rules.

JMO
Yes, and since I traded the Street Glide in for the Ultra to do some long distance riding, I'm staying with all HD components

Old 10-12-2016, 12:22 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Yes, and since I traded the Street Glide in for the Ultra to do some long distance riding, I'm staying with all HD components

Same here, keeping this one all HD this time. Well, at least for two years.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:24 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't own a M8 at this point, I think if you want your Harley to sound like a Harley then put on
Harley's aftermarket Mufflers. While you are at it put in a K&N air filter in the air cleaner that is
sold by the dealer. {Part #29400247 $65.95} That Is not quite a Stage-I, and are still all Harley parts.

The Milwaukee 8 engine is the new kid on the street, at some point in time the EPA will have SMOG checks on Motorcycles. The Motor Company has put it's eggs into the M8 basket so to speck, it is coming sooner then you think.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:14 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by the feff
Hi All,
Need some direction - I keep reading if we change the exhaust on our M8s other than using Harley's pipes, tuner and air we will void our warrenty.
I want more noise/ rumble out of my bike - can I just add slips ons without any of the EPA issues and not have to tune the bike?
I've never heard a 107 with Street Cannons but I just picked up my Ultra Limited from the dealer after they installed the stage 3 kit with the Street Cannons. All I can say is the mechanical noise they quelled from the twin cam must have been a pretty significant contributor to the EPA noise tests. There's no doubt in my mind this setup is the deepest and loudest exhaust note Harley ever put out since EPA noise regulations went into effect. If you haven't heard a bike with the Street Cannons I wouldn't discount them until you did.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:49 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

We will have mufflers available in November with options that are 50 State Emissions legal, with NO affect on warranty.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I've had a set of Rineharts on mine since last week. Way better than stock,but that CAT is killing the sound.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Yeah. But it's a matter of your service manager's "opinion" also.

I know service managers at a couple dealers that WILL NOT put ANY aftermarket tuners on their bikes this year. Other service managers at two other dealers are doing everything as they did in the past.

Your warranty is provided through the factory, and only the factory. It's true that your local dealer (service manager) can "help" sometimes in this endeavor. But their help is limited through how they communicate with the factory. And it will ALWAYS be the decision of the factory that prevails, not the service manager. Unless of course you yourself have deep pockets and wish to test your position with your lawyer, concerning your choice of parts through the court system, arguing the Magnuson Moss act.

Frankly, every argument in any court comes down to "opinion" also. And opinions in court can be swayed with logic, money, argument, and politics.

With the recent EPA settlement by the factory, I do not believe it will be "business as usual" concerning OEM versus aftermarket parts, at least in the eyes of HD. No one on this or any other forum, nor any service manager, nor any attorney, can definitively tell you what argument may or may not win in court concerning these issues.

I'd say listen to the "opinion" of your service manager. Listen to the opinions of people on this and other forums. And listen to the "opinion" of any legal counsel you may have inexpensive access to. Then, make up your mind what level of risk you are willing to accept concerning your own pipes, A/C, tuner, cams, heads, et al.

I know that for the first time in riding Harleys for the last 30 years, I'm staying mainly HD for upgrades for the first two years. I do not have deep pockets, and I'm convinced that the legal and judicial climate in this country isn't one where common people have a high probability of success against the EPA in court.

Your opinion may vary.

Peace out....
The most logical thing said since all of this crap started!

Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

can I just add slips ons without any of the EPA issues and not have to tune the bike?

Yes you can.

Mufflers are not considered emission control devices. Not even here in CA. Several aftermarket companies (like RCX) already have them on their website. They only require CARB or EPA approval on some of the older HD models that had the thermal reactors in the mufflers. If you don't change the head pipe and leave the cat in place, you'll be fine. You won't void your warranty and the sky will not fall on you.

Keep in mind that the language in the EPA settlement only addresses the unapproved tuners.

Last edited by dribble; 10-14-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
can I just add slips ons without any of the EPA issues and not have to tune the bike?

Yes you can.

Mufflers are not considered emission control devices. Not even here in CA. Several aftermarket companies (like RCX) already have them on their website. They only require CARB or EPA approval on some of the older HD models that had the thermal reactors in the mufflers. If you don't change the head pipe and leave the cat in place, you'll be fine. You won't void your warranty and the sky will not fall on you.

Keep in mind that the language in the EPA settlement only addresses the unapproved tuners.
When EPA is mentioned we all think pollution (smog) .. EPA is very concerned about noice as well, A stock M8 puts out 70 decibles at a drive by at (i think) 55 mph.. M8 w SE Cannons is 80 decibles on the same drive by.. It is above 80 decibles if your in the throttle and as I understand 94 is maximum decibles allowed.

If you put "off road use only" exhaust like we always have you will not be EPA compliant, and if you drop a valve they will blame it on the slip-ons..

Those dealers that say business as usual I believe will be a short lived dealers. Dealers are not a franchise and are privately owned.. If the Mother says you will display your clothes like we say, and they ignore this advice they will not send them cloths.. as I see it the same applies w EPA ruling, this is why most dealers are not even stocking aftermarket none EPA, to keep the Mother happy.

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I have the Street Cannons on mine. I like the sound, not too darn loud but a nice Harley rumble.

Quick Reply: Slip Ons for M8?