Slip Ons for M8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:41 PM
the feff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip Ons for M8?

Hi All,
Need some direction - I keep reading if we change the exhaust on our M8s other than using Harley's pipes, tuner and air we will void our warrenty.
I want more noise/ rumble out of my bike - can I just add slips ons without any of the EPA issues and not have to tune the bike?

Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

If or when you need warranty work you will have to go through a dealer, I would ask them and avoid the Jail house lawyers.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:02 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by the feff
Hi All,
Need some direction - I keep reading if we change the exhaust on our M8s other than using Harley's pipes, tuner and air we will void our warrenty.
I want more noise/ rumble out of my bike - can I just add slips ons without any of the EPA issues and not have to tune the bike?
You are asking 2 separate questions here. Any non EPA approved muffler (Noise) could be subject to fine or citation. Warranty issues directly proven to be caused by an aftermarket part can be subject to claim denial. This would be my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Hi All,
Talk to the service manager at your dealer. Answers to this question on the forum is a matter of opinion.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:02 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi All,
It's so early in the game since Harley had its knuckles whacked by the EPA the dealers are likely waiting to see how things unfold. I will offer a few points to consider which are pretty straight forward that most folks can agree on.

1) Now that Harley has been busted the last thing they want is a second round tangling with the EPA.
2) Dealers have been falsifying warranty claims for years to help their customers, and themselves because they were modifying bikes. Harley knew about it and turned a blind eye.
3) Up to this point Harley has show zero interest in validating any other company's tuning software or performance products.
4) In light of the fine and the terms of their agreement with the EPA scrutiny of engine related warranty claims is bound to change. Falsifying a warranty claim is fraud.
5) Harley really doesn't want to **** off its customers by pulling the EPA card to deny unrelated claims.
6) This isn't going to just blow over. Business as usual for franchised dealers is going to be different.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Talk to the service manager at your dealer. Answers to this question on the forum is a matter of opinion.
Yeah. But it's a matter of your service manager's "opinion" also.

I know service managers at a couple dealers that WILL NOT put ANY aftermarket tuners on their bikes this year. Other service managers at two other dealers are doing everything as they did in the past.

Your warranty is provided through the factory, and only the factory. It's true that your local dealer (service manager) can "help" sometimes in this endeavor. But their help is limited through how they communicate with the factory. And it will ALWAYS be the decision of the factory that prevails, not the service manager. Unless of course you yourself have deep pockets and wish to test your position with your lawyer, concerning your choice of parts through the court system, arguing the Magnuson Moss act.

Frankly, every argument in any court comes down to "opinion" also. And opinions in court can be swayed with logic, money, argument, and politics.

With the recent EPA settlement by the factory, I do not believe it will be "business as usual" concerning OEM versus aftermarket parts, at least in the eyes of HD. No one on this or any other forum, nor any service manager, nor any attorney, can definitively tell you what argument may or may not win in court concerning these issues.

I'd say listen to the "opinion" of your service manager. Listen to the opinions of people on this and other forums. And listen to the "opinion" of any legal counsel you may have inexpensive access to. Then, make up your mind what level of risk you are willing to accept concerning your own pipes, A/C, tuner, cams, heads, et al.

I know that for the first time in riding Harleys for the last 30 years, I'm staying mainly HD for upgrades for the first two years. I do not have deep pockets, and I'm convinced that the legal and judicial climate in this country isn't one where common people have a high probability of success against the EPA in court.

Your opinion may vary.

Peace out....

Old 10-12-2016, 05:00 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I would think it's gonna be a issue of the cat and factory settings for warranty. I don't
think mufflers are gonna be a federal reporting issue. Couple dealers I asked said when the aftermarket
company's are out they will install them but noting to do with non cat head pipes or
non epa tuners.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:54 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by LA VIC
It's so early in the game since Harley had its knuckles whacked by the EPA the dealers are likely waiting to see how things unfold. I will offer a few points to consider which are pretty straight forward that most folks can agree on.

1) Now that Harley has been busted the last thing they want is a second round tangling with the EPA.
>> Agree
2) Dealers have been falsifying warranty claims for years to help their customers, and themselves because they were modifying bikes. Harley knew about it and turned a blind eye.
>> Agree. Guy at Harley basically said the same thing. All my after market was installed at the dealer on previous bikes.
3) Up to this point Harley has show zero interest in validating any other company's tuning software or performance products.
>> I have heard conflicting info on the this one. Will wait and see.
4) In light of the fine and the terms of their agreement with the EPA scrutiny of engine related warranty claims is bound to change. Falsifying a warranty claim is fraud.
>> Agree
5) Harley really doesn't want to **** off its customers by pulling the EPA card to deny unrelated claims.
>> Agree. The guy from Harley said the same thing. He also said Harley has no interest in pissing off their after market parts folks either. Sure they compete with them, but they know most of the after market parts are installed by dealers and most of the dealer cash flow comes from service. So we will see how they play this balancing act between the EPA and the company. I am sure some high priced lawyers have language buried somewhere in the settlement that gives Harley a loophole.
6) This isn't going to just blow over. Business as usual for franchised dealers is going to be different.
>> Agree. Will wait and see how this plays out.
Please see comments above. This is based on conversations I have had with after market tech support and tech support at mother Harley.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:43 AM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, keep in mind, these are touring bikes.

You might have a dealer who bends the rules, but that does not help when you are 1000 miles away from home and have a problem with a dealer who sticks to the rules.

JMO

Old 10-12-2016, 09:45 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by bzb123
Also, keep in mind, these are touring bikes.

You might have a dealer who bends the rules, but that does not help when you are 1000 miles away from home and have a problem with a dealer who sticks to the rules.

JMO
That is something I did not consider. Another guy said the same thing and I think it is a good point.

Quick Reply: Slip Ons for M8?