Sponsored by:

Harleys fan-assisted-oil-cooler-kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 03:49 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,099 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Originally Posted by squiggyreck
can someone tell me if the Harley Fan assisted oil cooler push the air through the oil cooler, or doen it suck/pull the air across the cooler??

thanks
The fan is behind the cooler so it draws air through it.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:05 PM
sctrcks17
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the fan assist cooler. 10,000 miles in the Arizona scorching heat and I honestly have no idea if it makes any difference or not. Last week it was 121 degrees on my 40 mi ride home from work Today is was a cool 109 no sweat.
No temp gauge on this thing you know What I do know is my legs are way less baked on the RGS than they were on my last bike a water cooled Kawasaki Vaquero with two fans on the radiator blowing that hot air over the motor and onto my legs I'm telling you this air cooled Harley is leaps and bounds cooler running so my legs gauge tells me don't worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by WingsMC
Does anyone that has a 2017 touring bike have this kit on their bike? And is this fan assisted oil cooler worth it? I live in South Florida where it is always really hot and heavy traffic has become the norm. Thanks
I live and ride in Arizona. In 110+ degree heat, oil now runs at or below 240.......this part is a no brainer if you live in a hot climate.

YMMV

Lon

The following 2 users liked this post by Teufelhunden:
jp814 (10-03-2017), mjwebb (06-28-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 AM
PHX M8
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I too ride in 110 plus heat in Phoenix

I have the 2017 Road King Police that comes with the fan assited oil cooler as Standard Equiptment. I notice my new M8 runs wayyyy better than my TC88 in my old 06 in the hot temps. Harley Claims a 50F reduction in oil temp with the Oil cooler fan on the Police Bike part of thier web site. If you live in a hot place like Phoenix I say get one of these fans.
PHX

The following users liked this post:
jp814 (10-03-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Because I disabled my EITMS I had the fan assisted oil cooler kit installed for peace of mind. Not sure if it makes a difference though. It's only a small fan that blows air towards the lower front section of the engine. If it didn't have that fan, wouldn't air hit that section anyway once you're out riding? I guess it's more for when you're stuck in stop and go traffic. It's suppose to cool the engine by 50 degrees. Can't tell without a true temp gauge. The rear cooling kit, in comparison, is not an engine cooling kit. It only draws heat away from passengers to keep them cool. Nothing to do with cooling the engine.

If I had to do it again, yes, I would still opt for the fan assisted oil cooler. Peace of mind.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,598 Likes on 4,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
Because I disabled my EITMS I had the fan assisted oil cooler kit installed for peace of mind. Not sure if it makes a difference though. It's only a small fan that blows air towards the lower front section of the engine. If it didn't have that fan, wouldn't air hit that section anyway once you're out riding? I guess it's more for when you're stuck in stop and go traffic. It's suppose to cool the engine by 50 degrees. Can't tell without a true temp gauge. The rear cooling kit, in comparison, is not an engine cooling kit. It only draws heat away from passengers to keep them cool. Nothing to do with cooling the engine.

If I had to do it again, yes, I would still opt for the fan assisted oil cooler. Peace of mind.
supposed to lower the oil temp up to 50 degrees, not engine temp tho 50 degree lower OT should help ET in theory I suppose

Old 06-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
supposed to lower the oil temp up to 50 degrees, not engine temp tho 50 degree lower OT should help ET in theory I suppose
As well as helping the additives in the oil to last/work better/longer due to not being exposed to the extreme heat, theoretically extending engine life......

YMMV

Lon

Old 06-29-2017, 11:49 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
As well as helping the additives in the oil to last/work better/longer due to not being exposed to the extreme heat, theoretically extending engine life......

YMMV

Lon
yup, which is why I'm sticking with HD360 instead of synthetic which is much less a necessity now

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-29-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 PM
CheefASRC
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I love Amsoil, I put severe gear in the primary and the Amsoil trans fluid. My hogs always run smoother and cooler YMMV.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CheefASRC
I love Amsoil, I put severe gear in the primary and the Amsoil trans fluid. My hogs always run smoother and cooler YMMV.
your engines have always run cooler with Amsoil in the primary and trans?

Quick Reply: Harleys fan-assisted-oil-cooler-kit