Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
I did a similar set up on my 2012 48 with the SE heavy breather. This one puked oil all over everything but it was due to an issue with the 88" kit that was installed that never got sorted out.

On the Roadster I just purchased an air cleaner that was properly set up with external breathers. Ran the hose forward and down along the frame tube and terminated just behind the front exhaust header with a filter. This one never had a drop out of it.

You can see the little filter behind the header here.

On the Fat Bob I had oil puking out of the air cleaner because so much oil was being pushed out of the breathers due to the old style of oil pump back plate. The dealer tried a simple fix of replacing the breather valves and it didn't help at all so they had to talk to the MoCo and ask them what to do. They replaced the oil pump plate to the updated version that has the seal on it and decided to install new cylinders and Pistons due to the excessive amount of build up on the pistons and the glazing of the cylinders due to the sheer amount of oil that was being pumped into the cylinders through the breathers. I wish I would have taken pictures of the pistons but I didn't. You can read more about it here.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...n-problem.html

Here are some pics of the oil that was coming out of the air cleaner after it got saturated.

Now with the updated oil pump plate with the seal, the breathers have not had any oil coming out at all. Just the normal oily mist that kinda puts an oil film on the back plate and the throttle body. I did have some of the yellowish crud that comes from cold weather riding the other day but nothing excessive. Now I am purchasing the DK Hi Flow 606 a/c with the premium descreet external breather and filter set up. Don't want that dirty air and crud going into my engine anymore.
You have an 88" sporty????

Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Is 5/32 I.D. hose large enuff?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by 58jdn58@gmail.com
You have an 88" sporty????
I did but not anymore. I had the dealer install a Zipper's 88" kit on my 2012 48 and it just had nothing but issues. Zipper's tried and tried to figure it out and never could get it right. I was tired of the bike being in the shop more than I rode it so I asked the dealer to give me a deal to trade it for the Roadster I had. They gave me a really good deal and a really good trade value for the troubles I had. They said that even after I traded it in Zipper's couldn't get it figured out so they supplied the parts to convert it back to a stock 1200.

Here she is the day before I traded her and at a pit stop while hitting the canyons as well as the only Dyno chart I was able to get on it. Zipper's said with my set up it should have been up around 120 HP and 130 ft/lbs of torque even at the altitude here, 7200 ft., they said they were being conservative with those estimates. It never even got close to that and the issues kept coming. It's strange to me that they put the speed on the X axis instead of the RPM's as usual...

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 01-17-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bowhunter8607
i did but not anymore. I had the dealer install a zipper's 88" kit on my 2012 48 and it just had nothing but issues. Zipper's tried and tried to figure it out and never could get it right. I was tired of the bike being in the shop more than i rode it so i asked the dealer to give me a deal to trade it for the roadster i had. They gave me a really good deal and a really good trade value for the troubles i had. They said that even after i traded it in that zipper's couldn't get it figured out so they supplied the parts to convert it back to a stock 1200.

Here is the only dyno chart i was able to get on it. Zipper's said with my set up it should have been up around 120 hp and 130 ft/lbs of torque even at the altitude here, 7200 ft., they said they were being conservative with those estimates. It never even got close to that and the issues kept coming. It's strange to me that they put the speed on the x axis instead of the rpm's as usual...

w o w !

Old 01-18-2019, 02:20 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I am not doubtng a word you said. Just that I never hears of a 1200 hit 129 ponies off a plain head swap. Which I’m assuming it was all Zippers could offer. Unless there is more than that I’m aware of. That is amazing. Tio bad they couldn’t hit their mark. Woulda been something

Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I am not doubtng a word you said. Just that I never hears of a 1200 hit 129 ponies off a plain head swap. Which I’m assuming it was all Zippers could offer. Unless there is more than that I’m aware of. That is amazing. Tio bad they couldn’t hit their mark. Woulda been something
Amen!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:51 PM
sstan
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 58jdn58@gmail.com
Is 5/32 I.D. hose large enuff?
The DK Customs catch can I bought has a 3/8” Nipple so I went with a 3/8” ID hose. After seeing some of the snot I’m glad I did go this big. It doesn’t need to get plugged up.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:20 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Went ahead and ordered a DK Customs breather bypass kit for my wife’s x bones and a can of CRC intwke valve cleaner

Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Yes it would have been nice for it to hit the mark they said it should. The kit was a performance kit with ported heads and throttle body, higer flowing injectors, larger valves, Redshift Cams and a ThunderMax ECM.

I noticed they have since changed the dyno chart they display on the website for this kit because they were advertising this kit to produce quite a bit more power than they are now. Even the guy I spoke to from Zipper's was telling me to expect at least 120 HP. Oh well....
https://www.zippersperformance.com/z...-carb-kit.html

Hammer performance has a bolt on 1275 kit that is advertised as a 120+ HP package and it has proven to be able to produce 130+ HP. Forum member madnss, not sure if thats how he spells it, has one of their previous 1250 kits that was hitting over 120 HP and his 1275 kit was over 130 HP the last I saw. Hammer Performance was able to get 132 HP and 96 ft/lbs torque out of this 120+ kit on their shop mule. Pretty crazy power for the Sportys there. That was the route I wanted to take my Roadster in but the Fat Bob bug bit me hard before I could. Was hoping Hammer Performance was producing big bore kits for the M8's but none so far.

http://hammerperf.com/883conversions.shtml#120hp

Sorry for going off subject here. I will be going with DK's air cleaner and external breather as well. They have always been great to great to deal with and their products are top notch.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 01-18-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

That is impressive for a sporster to be able to run reliably while hitting those numers.
Had a kit been around like this when I road raced during the later part of the eighties and into the ninties. I would have built one to compete in a few seperate classes. Assuming I would have been able to build a suitable chassy to support that kind of power at a road race track environment.
And yes to DK Customs for all their bolt in kits and enginuity and skills. That combined with their 5* tating. It’s no wonder why they’re steadily becoming a world wide favorite go to for innovative designs of bolt on kits

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?