"Whining" Noise on 2017 FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:28 PM
LANCER8FLHXS
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide whine in 5th

Originally Posted by marc gagnon
was just wondering if you ever resolved the issue with whining in 3rd and 4th. Mine does the same thing but even worse in 5th. Thanks
Same issue in 5th gear only. The sound is very pronounced.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 AM
sprintrps
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having same issue, any answers yet on this? Thanks
Unfortunately, after the 1K servic and switch to synthetics there is really no reduction in the whining noise. However, there is a major reduction in my wallet as the 1K service was $442.00 Outrageous !

Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Taking mine in Wednesday to have the whine looked into to. Due for an oil change so I will probably go with Syn to see if it helps.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:00 PM
marc gagnon
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprintrps
Unfortunately, after the 1K servic and switch to synthetics there is really no reduction in the whining noise. However, there is a major reduction in my wallet as the 1K service was $442.00 Outrageous !
Sorry to hear that! Well I'm at a hundred miles it's at the dealership now getting a new oil pump and a new cam as per instructions from the MOCO. Hope you dealership called Harley for protocol. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
My Riding partner had to have the transmission worked on because his '17 tri was whining from the trans.
Was talking to my bud yesterday about his tri and the whine. The dealer ordered new inner parts for the trans, it seems that the MOCO changed vendors for the transmissions somewhere in mid stream and the Transmissions that were built by it had some inferior parts. Our dealer looked at the Trans numbers and found his Trans was built by the vendor with the funky parts so they replaced the inners of his trans and no more Whine.
Wow, imagine that! The MOCO using the cheapest Chinese-junk parts they could find in these (supposedly) premium bikes and then having to spend much more replacing them with slightly less crappy Chinese-junk parts.

Yawn. So, what else is new?

FYI, Redline Shockproof tranny oil might well eliminate or at least significantly reduce gear whine in those '17's. It completely silenced the "normal" 1st. gear whine in my '15 Ultra.

Personally, I wouldn't put that syn3 **** in my lawnmower, let alone something as expensive as one of these bikes!

Last edited by jpooch00; 04-18-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 AM
marc gagnon
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Wow, imagine that! The MOCO using the cheapest Chinese-junk parts they could find in these (supposedly) premium bikes and then having to spend much more replacing them with slightly less crappy Chinese-junk parts.

Yawn. So, what else is new?

FYI, Redline Shockproof tranny oil might well eliminate or at least significantly reduce gear whine in those '17's. It completely silenced the "normal" 1st. gear whine in my '15 Ultra.

Personally, I wouldn't put that syn3 **** in my lawnmower, let alone something as expensive as one of these bikes!
Just a thought... MoCo went after the oil pump and I understand why. They are losing engines over it over this inferior part. Whether it's from CHINA or not remains to be unknown... aside from that I still speculate my issue is not related to the oil pump due to my symptoms. (3rd,4th,5th gear heavy loud whine upon acceleration) I will wait and go thru the proper warranty channels that the MoCo has in place. My oil pump should be in today and I had them upgrade the cam as well to rule that out. I still think it's in the tranny like your buddy with the trike, just makes sense in my limited knowledge...

Old 04-18-2017, 09:06 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Just a thought... MoCo went after the oil pump and I understand why. They are losing engines over it over this inferior part. Whether it's from CHINA or not remains to be unknown... aside from that I still speculate my issue is not related to the oil pump due to my symptoms. (3rd,4th,5th gear heavy loud whine upon acceleration) I will wait and go thru the proper warranty channels that the MoCo has in place. My oil pump should be in today and I had them upgrade the cam as well to rule that out. I still think it's in the tranny like your buddy with the trike, just makes sense in my limited knowledge...
Agreed. The oil pump issues are a totally separate problem, again, with the MOCO's poor design and third-world-made parts.

They never learn - and never will!

Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,733 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Agreed. The oil pump issues are a totally separate problem, again, with the MOCO's poor design and third-world-made parts.

They never learn - and never will!
Gezuz you're a whiner. You're the "Whining Noise" on nearly every thread...

For Heavens sake buy a Honda and move along you little baby.

The following users liked this post:
sixguns (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM
cmc seabee
Cruiser

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Gezuz you're a whiner. You're the "Whining Noise" on nearly every thread...

For Heavens sake buy a Honda and move along you little baby.

I got rid of the whine on my 2015 by leaving her at home.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 3,814 Posts

Originally Posted by sprintrps
After 1K Service and switch to Synthetics, it seems to me that the "whine" is much less noticeable than the initial few hundred miles. Just IMHO.
I am assuming you did Synthetics in all three holes as commonly said. Sure there is a call out for first and second choice for oils. A few years ago, it was SYN in all three holes. Then, they went back to straight 50W non-detergent gear oil for primary and transmission and SYN as a second choice except in the CVO manual. SYN as the first choice in the engine only. What does you's say?

Quick Reply: "Whining" Noise on 2017 FLHR