Sponsored by:

aim clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 AM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default aim clutch

Looking to use the Aim vp024 sdr to help soften the clutch pull, has anyone tried it on the M8 with the assist and slip clutch? I have used them on my two other bikes and was very happy with the results. I am not looking for it to take tons of torque, just stock motor and want a lighter clutch pull.

The following users liked this post:
BigDogIdaho (01-07-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

The AIM SDR clutch for the H-D assist & slip clutch (2017 M8 & 13-up CVO) uses slider weights with factory coil style springs (various weights avail) for positive clutch engagement. Unlike traditional diaphragm spring style clutches in AIM-VP applications (or with our AIM/Fuel Moto clutch) the lever pull is not affected when installing the AIM SDR clutch; in this design lever pull is determined directly by the spring rate. To change the lever pull on H-D A&S clutch equipped bikes you need to simply change the springs, on the M8 bike you can use AIM part # AM-008-001 which is a 210lb spring set and will reduce lever pull by about 20%. Note these springs will only support Stock or Stage 1 power levels.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
Gadgetech (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 AM
ron1026
Tourer

thanks Jaimie, my thought was by using the lock up with the lighter spring the pull would be less and the clutch wouldn't slip do to the centrifugal force being applied.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ron1026
thanks Jaimie, my thought was by using the lock up with the lighter spring the pull would be less and the clutch wouldn't slip do to the centrifugal force being applied.
Correct; sorry I was not more clear with my initial response. If you reduce the spring pressure you will need the lockup for positive engagement, so you would be looking at springs & SDR kit.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:48 AM
ron1026
Tourer

Thanks, that's what I've done previous bikes and the results have been good just wasn't sure about it working with the a&s clutch

Old 12-29-2016, 11:02 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ron1026
Thanks, that's what I've done previous bikes and the results have been good just wasn't sure about it working with the a&s clutch
The AIM SDR clutch in itself does not change the lever pull, unlike other applications that use the AIM-VP clutches with the roller weights that change the leverage ratio applied to the diaphragm spring. Those are a win-win for sure.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The AIM SDR clutch in itself does not change the lever pull, unlike other applications that use the AIM-VP clutches with the roller weights that change the leverage ratio applied to the diaphragm spring. Those are a win-win for sure.
ALL AIM SDR and VP effect the lever pull! If they did not, it would not work. The earlier VP style acted on the diaphragm spring, as RPM increased it would apply increased pressure on the spring. So the level pull is directly effected by the RPM of the engine. The Newer SDR version acts directly on the clutch instead of the spring, increasing Lever pull is again directly effected by engine RPM. So if we pull the lever in with the engine off there are no changes unless you change the spring pressure, which you can for either style kit. As RPM increases more clamping force is applied to the clutch in both cases and as such, Lever pull increases as well. If you want to reduce Lever pull you will have to reduce the spring pressure regardless of which style you plan to use. In the older clutches (non AS) you could reduce the Lever pull by installing a "Clutch Wiz" as it reduced Lever pull

Old 12-30-2016, 03:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Is the clutch actuation device similar in the M8 equipped bikes? If so, then Burley might have an extension to bolt onto the lever at the trans.
That or reduce the distance between the lever pivot and the cable...

These will allow you to keep the springs and not worry about slippage.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Is the clutch actuation device similar in the M8 equipped bikes? If so, then Burley might have an extension to bolt onto the lever at the trans.
That or reduce the distance between the lever pivot and the cable...

These will allow you to keep the springs and not worry about slippage.
The M8 uses a hydraulic Assist and Slip setup like some of the earlier 2014 - 2016 Touring bikes. The only difference from the M8 to the earlier version is the 3 springs for clamping pressure used. The M8 starts with lighter springs than the earlier bikes used. The M8 spring has a white stripe on it and the early bike uses an Orangish Red colored stripe. There are a few different aftermarket spring kits to increase the spring pressure and Lever force but the M8 stock springs are the lightest ones I know of.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
ALL AIM SDR and VP effect the lever pull! If they did not, it would not work. The earlier VP style acted on the diaphragm spring, as RPM increased it would apply increased pressure on the spring. So the level pull is directly effected by the RPM of the engine. The Newer SDR version acts directly on the clutch instead of the spring, increasing Lever pull is again directly effected by engine RPM. So if we pull the lever in with the engine off there are no changes unless you change the spring pressure, which you can for either style kit. As RPM increases more clamping force is applied to the clutch in both cases and as such, Lever pull increases as well. If you want to reduce Lever pull you will have to reduce the spring pressure regardless of which style you plan to use. In the older clutches (non AS) you could reduce the Lever pull by installing a "Clutch Wiz" as it reduced Lever pull
Steve,

Don't agree with this.. Diaphragm spring VPs that worked added pressure the pressure plate directly and reduced lever effort by moving the contact point on the diaphragm spring inward.. Clutch Wiz simply reduced clutch effort by doing the same thing the diaphragmed VPCs did without the weights adding pressure at higher RPM..

It's my guess that since there is limited space, the newer VPC that uses coil springs can't take enough of the preload off the spring without using space or unloading the spring.. Lighter springs are needed.

Quick Reply: aim clutch