Sponsored by:

PSA: Don't buy a Craftsman jack

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:39 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 997 Likes on 593 Posts
Default PSA: Don't buy a Craftsman jack

So I was browsing Sears today looking for tools to piece together my new bike tool kit and I saw that they had their Craftsman jacks on sale for $100. I was holding out on some money from a TAD trip I took so I could buy a J&S jack but I figured I'd save some money and pick up one of these. I get it home, assemble it, and it won't fit under the bike. Even with the bike straight up the jack is too high. I measured and on the jiffy stand the frame is about 4 1/2" off the ground. The jack is 5 1/4" high. So I disassembled it and will be returning it tomorrow. Guess I'll be getting a J&S after all.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:42 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Hmm. My craftsman jack has been a champ for the last 6 years. Now that I have a lift, it only gets used for cleaning the wheels or tire changes, but I've never had a complaint.

The following users liked this post:
LXT (12-31-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 10:50 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Craftsman or Craftsman pro(yellow)?

Im guessing not pro...

I have the pro and it works great.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...p-00950191000P

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 12-30-2016 at 10:54 PM.
load97 (04-29-2018)
Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Mines the cheap red craftsman.

mastergunnera8 (12-30-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 AM
azthunt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWThomas
So I was browsing Sears today looking for tools to piece together my new bike tool kit and I saw that they had their Craftsman jacks on sale for $100. I was holding out on some money from a TAD trip I took so I could buy a J&S jack but I figured I'd save some money and pick up one of these. I get it home, assemble it, and it won't fit under the bike. Even with the bike straight up the jack is too high. I measured and on the jiffy stand the frame is about 4 1/2" off the ground. The jack is 5 1/4" high. So I disassembled it and will be returning it tomorrow. Guess I'll be getting a J&S after all.

If you don't want to return it, there are a number of threads on this forum that tell you how to modify the red craftsman jack to fit under all but the lowest Harley. All for about $10.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:41 AM
azthunt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azthunt
If you don't want to return it, there are a number of threads on this forum that tell you how to modify the red craftsman jack to fit under all but the lowest Harley. All for about $10.

I also forgot to mention that you can roll your bike up in a 1 inch thick piece of wood and the jack should roll right under since you only lack 3/4 inch for clearance.

BigDogIdaho (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 04:37 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I know many here use the Craftsman with good luck but I am not sure of the height with the jack lowered. The J&S price is a big chunk of change to spend on a jack but IMHO it was well worth it for me as I am very satisfied with my J&S.
You do have an option since it appears you are dealing with about 3/4" of space and that is to get a small piece of wood 3/4" and roll front and rear wheels on it to give your bike that extra height to allow the jack to roll under.
If you dont use the jack very often that may be a workable solution. For me I would see it as a pain in the *** as I would think it would require an extra set of hands each time you use the jack. One person to hold the bike steady and upright on the blocks unless you use a 3rd bock under the jiffy stand and the 2nd person to place the jack.

For me that is one of the great things about the J&S with the bike on the jiffy stand I just slide the jack underneath and jack it up off the jiffy stand. Its the same lowering the bike I just slowly lower the bike until it comes down and rest on the stand. I never have to touch or steady the bike in any way when I lift or lower.

On a side note I have found that after buying the J&S I use the jack way more than I even anticipated. Any time I want to wipe the bike down, detail it check air pressure etc... it is all much easier to do with the bike lifted and at eye level with me sitting on the stool

Old 12-31-2016, 05:33 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Position the jack on the right side of the bike.
Grab the right handlebar grip and pull the bike up off the kickstand.
Push the jack under the bike.

Jack it. Smoke a cigarette.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:45 AM
HotRodNut
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Since I got my J&S the Craftsman is off to side, makes a good place to hang a trash bag and set miscellaneous stuff on, lol. Although it is a good jack, there is nothing that I've had that compares to the J&S.

Attached Thumbnails PSA: Don't buy a Craftsman jack-20161230_171506.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 07:38 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I've had the red Craftsman jack for 10 years.

I have 2 small pieces of 3/4" plywood that I roll the front and rear tires on to, slide the jack under and jack it up.
Very easy and simple to do.
I've had great service from this inexpensive jack for years.

Quick Reply: PSA: Don't buy a Craftsman jack