Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Weeks In with New 2017 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:18 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Get out and ride . The weight is meaningless. 200 miles that is a couple hours out the dealer door. You will adjust to the weight in a day or so of riding.
What you think now will change a 1000 miles and that will change again at 4-5000.
And when you hit 50-80,000 it will change again.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by paullavery
I've just ordered that fender in Laguna Orange, should be in the end of this month.
I'm looking forward to seeing that. We seem to have very similar visions for our bikes, and as much as I've looked, I haven't been able to find a RK with a standard 17" wheel and the wrapped fender.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:26 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
I'm looking forward to seeing that. We seem to have very similar visions for our bikes, and as much as I've looked, I haven't been able to find a RK with a standard 17" wheel and the wrapped fender.
Me neither, hopefully it won't look odd !

Old 02-14-2017, 11:36 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver

I've never heard ANYONE here talk about PROPER dealer prep including "fitting" the bike to the purchaser! I think that all (most?) dealers just take the cash and head you out the door as quick as possible. You should take your time to adjust handlebar angle and control lever angle to best suit you. Then you should adjust peddle controls to suit your body.

I ended up changing the stock seat to a Sundowner and the bars to the Heritage style bars to get a comfortable seating position. I also replaced the shift levers to the wider ones to get more foot room on the boards. At the same time I adjusted lever height to accommodate my boots. These are all things that a good dealer should do for you.

AND YES I AGREE - There is no way a Road King rides like a Cadillac! BUT I once tried out an Ultra seat on my bike! It was a much more "plush" ride than the stock seat.

Yeah, my dealer handed me the bike and went over the basics of function, thats it. I would have preferred the bars the SG comes with and may switch my RK's out to them at some point. I would have gladly paid $100.00 to have them do the swap before I took delivery though.

Last edited by stixvrad; 02-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Interesting that you commented about switching the Street Glide bars over to the Road King. I currently have a '14 Road King, sat on and road a new '17 RK. Felt the same essentially as my '14, sitting wise, that is. Sat on a new '17 Street Glide and fell in love with the SG's bars, would definitely switch them over........And add heated grips.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 PM
HDS&KZS
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found best bars putting hands in comfortable position

Tried khrome werks 2 up and 2 back 2+ 2 , very comfortable putting wrist in great position and height good , first tried them on 2011 streetglide and now have them on my 17 Roadking ,

By the way traded 14 RK in on 17 and ride and handling is night and day . 17 more comfortable and flip it around like a softail , did have to have the two oil hoses changed going to oil cooler but very happy with this bike .

Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
...I took the windshield off, and it's a completely different experience. I'll use it for interstate distance riding and extremely cold weather, but it'll remain off for all else.
I love riding my RK with the windshield off around town or on the backroads. Heck, even a short 10 mile jaunt done the interstate is ok w/o the windshield.

But whats even better is tossing that POS stock windshield out and replacing it with an aftermarket one.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:47 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
Interesting that you commented about switching the Street Glide bars over to the Road King. I currently have a '14 Road King, sat on and road a new '17 RK. Felt the same essentially as my '14, sitting wise, that is. Sat on a new '17 Street Glide and fell in love with the SG's bars, would definitely switch them over........And add heated grips.

Yeah the SG bars just fall perfectly.I Googled the 2017 RK and 2017 SG and kept switching between them on my computer... they both lined up in exactly the same spot on my monitor so it was like quickly flicking from one picture to the other .Gave me the chance to see where the grips fall on each one, and you see the seat height difference perfectly to.. The heateed grips are a must and I plan to do that too. Never thought I'd want them but after repeatedly putting each hand down on a cylinder towarm them up, its the way to go.

Street Glide http://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...tf9_jgWD_AEsDh

Road King http://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...=25&ajaxhist=0

Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Interesting on the SG bars. Anyone have any insight into how the RK Special bars vary from the stock bars?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a RK in earlier years (06) and loved that bike. I than went to a 12 SG and really loved the bike, but the bars are pretty low on both. I changed them to 10's on SG and felt much better. Now I am picking up my 17 SGS and hope to be just as happy. I liked the windshield in front on the RK, but the fairing with the radio and more wind protection for me was the way to go. They all sit on the same frame so somewhat similiar.

Quick Reply: 2 Weeks In with New 2017 Road King