Sponsored by:

Ohlins review

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I find the tires OK but I'm a real stickler for monitoring traction and most of the roads are around here are pretty good as far as traction goes.. Some of it might simply be that they are not smooth and they bite into the tires. Tires don't last here. I find the brakes good also but then I didn't get ABS.. What handed to make you believe that the rear end wasn't that good?
Sorry for my tardy response. A very good friend was found dead last Thursday evening. So needless to say I've been hooked up.

The front dove really hard but did not bottom out as I was at the very edge of traction on the front. But I could feel the rear end loading and unloading in a vertical way with the rear wheel changing camber. The rear was not jumping left to right. I could feel the left rear shock working with the forks, frame and brakes. But the right shock was totally lost. This action was flexing the swing arm and bushings. There was no balance in the rear end. It felt like the wheel bearings in the rear wheel were completely shelled out. As the rear brake started trying to balance the bike out you could feel the right rear side of the bike collapse and what braking power there was in the cold tire went away. And the result was a pogo effect. It was really messed up.

Understand the tires were cold. I do have to be fair about that. They had about two miles on them since I left the house in 48F air temp. The surface was very clean and level concrete.

I had made my mind up to throw the bike down. Just as I stomped on the brake pedal to kick the *** out and get away from it. Enough heat got into the front tire that it did a stopie about three feet from the rear wheel of the car. *** end of the RK was up in the air and the wheel locked up. When it came down the rear end of the bike squatted to the left. I figure that happen because of the damned lame duck right shock and the rubber mounted swing arm bushing. OOO I was doing 45 mph when I had to make the stop. I didn't even have time to down shift. She knew she had ran the light then locked up her brakes. If she would not of hit her brakes crossing in front of me it would have been a nonevent.

I haven't ridden the bike since. May ride to work Thursday.

Last edited by psyshack; 02-21-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,281 Likes on 3,642 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Sorry for my tardy response. A very good friend was found dead last Thursday evening. So needless to say I've been hooked up.

The front dove really hard but did not bottom out as I was at the very edge of traction on the front. But I could feel the rear end loading and unloading in a vertical way with the rear wheel changing camber. The rear was not jumping left to right. I could feel the left rear shock working with the forks, frame and brakes. But the right shock was totally lost. This action was flexing the swing arm and bushings. There was no balance in the rear end. It felt like the wheel bearings in the rear wheel were completely shelled out. As the rear brake started trying to balance the bike out you could feel the right rear side of the bike collapse and what braking power there was in the cold tire went away. And the result was a pogo effect. It was really messed up.

Understand the tires were cold. I do have to be fair about that. They had about two miles on them since I left the house in 48F air temp. The surface was very clean and level concrete.

I had made my mind up to throw the bike down. Just as I stomped on the brake pedal to kick the *** out and get away from it. Enough heat got into the front tire that it did a stopie about three feet from the rear wheel of the car. *** end of the RK was up in the air and the wheel locked up. When it came down the rear end of the bike squatted to the left. I figure that happen because of the damned lame duck right shock and the rubber mounted swing arm bushing. OOO I was doing 45 mph when I had to make the stop. I didn't even have time to down shift. She knew she had ran the light then locked up her brakes. If she would not of hit her brakes crossing in front of me it would have been a nonevent.

So you are thinking a set of Olin shocks would have kept you from going down?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,099 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend...A stoppie on a RK?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 602 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Sorry to hear about your friend...A stoppie on a RK?
Wheel-hop for sure. Stoppie? It would be the first one I've ever heard of. Too heavy in the rear which would cause front wheel lockup and slide prior to raising the rear end into the air like a sportbike can.
Tossing the bike on the ground to alieviate a crash has rarely, if anytime, lessened an incident's result.
I believe every safety as well as performance instructor will always say to stay with the bike maneuvering, including throttle and brake work, to avoid impact. I don't know of any time it is best to abandon attempt for control in hopes for a better outcome.
JME,
Bob

Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bwoltz
So you are thinking a set of Olin shocks would have kept you from going down?
I didn't go down. The front tire grabbed on the concrete surface finally and I had a stopie moment just as I locked up the rear to throw it down.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:20 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Wheel-hop for sure. Stoppie? It would be the first one I've ever heard of. Too heavy in the rear which would cause front wheel lockup and slide prior to raising the rear end into the air like a sportbike can.
Tossing the bike on the ground to alieviate a crash has rarely, if anytime, lessened an incident's result.
I believe every safety as well as performance instructor will always say to stay with the bike maneuvering, including throttle and brake work, to avoid impact. I don't know of any time it is best to abandon attempt for control in hopes for a better outcome.
JME,
Bob
A RK will do a stoppie.

The lady was stopped at the light then just ran her red. No time to down shift , maneuver. Just grab all the brake you can. Throwing the bike down would darn sure keep me from hitting the car and getting shot over it. I'd hit the ground going twice the speed the bike was going it the bike had hit the car and tossed me.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,099 Likes on 3,331 Posts

A RK will do a stoppie.

The lady was stopped at the light then just ran her red. No time to down shift , maneuver. Just grab all the brake you can. Throwing the bike down would darn sure keep me from hitting the car and getting shot over it. I'd hit the ground going twice the speed the bike was going it the bike had hit the car and tossed me.

With the Brembos on the RK, if you "grabbed all the brake you can" enough to induce a stoppie , your forward progress would be slowed enough that "laying it down" would not be needed. Nicky Hayden and others routinly trail brake with the rear end slightly off the ground, but thats at better than 125 or so on a 300 pound bike with a steep steering head angle and forward static weight bias.. Your on an 800 pound bike, with more on the rear than the front going maybe 60 mph. I'm sorry, I just dont buy it..

Last edited by stixvrad; 02-23-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

A Touring model Harley-Davidson will not do a stoppie, for four reasons:

1. Touring bikes have a very long wheelbase compared to sport bikes, and this means significantly more torque around the center of mass is necessary to cause the bike to rotate.

2. Touring bikes have a very low center of mass, which results in shorter lever arm distance, which requires significantly higher forces to cause the bike to rotate.

3. Touring bikes are very heavy.

Therefore:

4. The front tire will lose traction before enough forces are generated to lift the rear end off the ground.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 02-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
no complaints with my OEM shocks on the King but for Ohlins that's a complete no brainer
No complaints on the new OEM setup either. Not motivated to spend any more money... But thats just me.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 AM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Ive been looking at a set of 13" premium OEMs from horny toad HD, well under 400 delivered, but the 2-2 ohlins might be the ticket at 5ish...I cant go to 800 for the 159s...

I also changed out my OE dunlops for the american elites and the difference is huge...

Quick Reply: Ohlins review