Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 11:54 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,640 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
fixed it for you

Many
Harley Davidsons have been here (Tail of the Dragon hotel) nice to see they have a dedicated Harley Parking Only area
No kidding!

Old 04-28-2022, 11:58 AM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 904 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I hate to say it but I am adding myself to the "still transferring after installing the primary vent" group... I thought for sure my time with transferring was over! I have 5000 miles on my primary and trans fluids, and that is also when I installed the vent. I checked fluid levels in all three holes per my 30,000 mile service before my 800 mile run through the Smokey Mountains and levels were good. I just checked the trans fluid level...Transmission dipstick showed nothing but a splash initially, then after wiping and reinserting it was bone dry (even when screwing it in all the way). Primary was actually at a good level... No issues with shifting or finding neutral, etc.

Lots of engine breaking and tons of shifting through the mountains, lots of high speed runs on the way back home. No obstructions in the vent that I could tell by sticking a screwdriver in it. I'm stumped.
That is a bummer. I have a 2019 FLHX with 18,500 miles and up until recently had experienced zero transfer. I noticed my transmission fluid was low and added some to get it back to normal (maybe 4 oz....im a finance guy not engineer so rounding is OK). I have not noticed it move again but will keep an eye on it. I leave for a 2,000+ mile trip in June and plan to make sure it looks good before I go.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:12 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Studlintsean
That is a bummer. I have a 2019 FLHX with 18,500 miles and up until recently had experienced zero transfer. I noticed my transmission fluid was low and added some to get it back to normal (maybe 4 oz....im a finance guy not engineer so rounding is OK). I have not noticed it move again but will keep an eye on it. I leave for a 2,000+ mile trip in June and plan to make sure it looks good before I go.
Just be careful to not let the primary get too full - you will have issues with shifting, finding neutral, and your clutch won't disengage (may notice bike wanting to move forward with clutch lever pulled in).

Old 04-28-2022, 01:43 PM
devron55
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I would like to know what did they change in the motor from the older 2019 M8 models to the newer 2019 and later models? Seems like the newer ones have less/none of these problems.

Just curious, did you replace the oil pump? I think that's one of the changes.

Dev

Old 04-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior

Just be careful to not let the primary get too full - you will have issues with shifting, finding neutral, and your clutch won't disengage (may notice bike wanting to move forward with clutch lever pulled in).
I haven't noticed any issues with shifting but curiosity got the best of me so I just went down to the garage to check. I put the bike level and sure enough my transmission level was a bit low. It was showing on the dipstick but below the "X". I then opened the primary and had some minor leakage when I undid the bottom bolts. Fortunately I put I box down. I used a turkey baster and pulled enough out of the primary to get back to the correct level per the FSM and added to transmission to bring that to the middle of the "X".
I normally do "all 3 holes" every 5K miles as I figure it is cheap insurance. I did my engine oil around 17,000 miles out of boredom this winter as it looked pretty black and my 15K service was done 1,0000 miles early before a long trip last year. I am going to make sure all oils are at the correct levels before I head out on my trip in June, monitor throughout, and I will dump everything and put clean oil when I get back. I guess I will keep a closer eye on my transmission level but I won't lose any sleep over it. I do not have the vent or the "rod" that was discussed here a couple years ago and unless it gets bad, I will probably keep it this way and hope things don't get worse.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:52 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by devron55
I would like to know what did they change in the motor from the older 2019 M8 models to the newer 2019 and later models? Seems like the newer ones have less/none of these problems.
Just curious, did you replace the oil pump? I think that's one of the changes.
Dev
Oil pump was to fix sumping. Separate issue.

I haven't noticed any issues with shifting but curiosity got the best of me so I just went down to the garage to check. I put the bike level and sure enough my transmission level was a bit low. It was showing on the dipstick but below the "X". I then opened the primary and had some minor leakage when I undid the bottom bolts. Fortunately I put I box down. I used a turkey baster and pulled enough out of the primary to get back to the correct level per the FSM and added to transmission to bring that to the middle of the "X".
I normally do "all 3 holes" every 5K miles as I figure it is cheap insurance. I did my engine oil around 17,000 miles out of boredom this winter as it looked pretty black and my 15K service was done 1,0000 miles early before a long trip last year. I am going to make sure all oils are at the correct levels before I head out on my trip in June, monitor throughout, and I will dump everything and put clean oil when I get back. I guess I will keep a closer eye on my transmission level but I won't lose any sleep over it. I do not have the vent or the "rod" that was discussed here a couple years ago and unless it gets bad, I will probably keep it this way and hope things don't get worse.
Just for clarification, tranny is checked while on the side stand and cold. Based on geometry, if you didn't get any fluid on the dipstick while upright, you wouldn't get any fluid on the stick on the side stand. I still don't understand how trikes have the same dipstick and they check trans fluid upright... Probably doesn't make much difference.
Primary is checked upright and at operating temp. It doesn't sound like you checked this level, but you would assume the primary is overfilled now.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:04 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior

Oil pump was to fix sumping. Separate issue.

Just for clarification, tranny is checked while on the side stand and cold. Based on geometry, if you didn't get any fluid on the dipstick while upright, you wouldn't get any fluid on the stick on the side stand. I still don't understand how trikes have the same dipstick and they check trans fluid upright... Probably doesn't make much difference.
Primary is checked upright and at operating temp. It doesn't sound like you checked this level, but you would assume the primary is overfilled now.
Yea I am an idiot. That said, all the above was done cold and upright/level. I just rechecked transmission (cold and on jiffy) and the level is still right on the X. I think I should be good.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:35 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Yea I am an idiot. That said, all the above was done cold and upright/level. I just rechecked transmission (cold and on jiffy) and the level is still right on the X. I think I should be good.
Yeah I don't think it makes much difference upright or on stand. Like I said, trikes are always measured upright and have all the same specs.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

Yeah I don't think it makes much difference upright or on stand. Like I said, trikes are always measured upright and have all the same specs.
it doesn't one bit..wife rides trikes and I have wondered the same and tested and the readings are identical either way

Old 04-28-2022, 04:19 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
it doesn't one bit..wife rides trikes and I have wondered the same and tested and the readings are identical either way
You were my source of that information MJ I remember you mentioning that before. Geometry has been proven false

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX