Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 09:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,675 Likes on 4,482 Posts

damn Brandon..if I lived in an area where environmental contamination and corrosion was largely out of my control, or require serious time and effort to maintain to avoid it from happening.... I would never buy a new Harley that's for sure, rather search for the best valued deal on used bikes I could possibly find..that's brutal to look at !!! wonder if you could find a Harley salvage parts place somewhere far away and get OEM takeoff replacement parts for dirt cheap and just refresh everything you can, within reason

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 05:14 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
After spending my spare time over the past couple weeks replacing the shocks and struts, brakes, brake fluid, and engine oil in my car, and then putting up the Christmas tree and decorations, I finally had time to take the front end of the Harley apart for my Pro-Action fork kit install.

Before taking the forks out, I measure from the top of the fork tube to the top of the upper bracket: 4mm on the left fork, 5mm on the right… Maybe that is why my bike always pulled hard to the left?

Here are some pics of the situation I started with. I’m embarrassed at how filthy my bike is. The forks and wheels are awful.

Some people have riders, and some people have show bikes. Mine is a rider too, and is a solid 25 footer. Don't be embarrassed because you have a rider, that's what they're for.

The following 3 users liked this post by 702:
BrandonSmith (12-04-2023), Fireball Jack (12-04-2023), strokelessone (04-29-2024)
Old 12-04-2023, 06:14 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 668 Likes on 286 Posts

I bought a bike to flip a few years back from a guy that was getting a divorce and needed some cash. The fork legs and wheels weren't quite that bad, but they were pretty bad. I had everything powder coated and it looked pretty damn good. I imagine that long term powder coat would hold up pretty well too. A lot less maintenance than trying to keep everything polished.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:22 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
damn Brandon..if I lived in an area where environmental contamination and corrosion was largely out of my control, or require serious time and effort to maintain to avoid it from happening.... I would never buy a new Harley that's for sure, rather search for the best valued deal on used bikes I could possibly find..that's brutal to look at !!! wonder if you could find a Harley salvage parts place somewhere far away and get OEM takeoff replacement parts for dirt cheap and just refresh everything you can, within reason
I lived in a near-superfund site for 5 years and relied on a tent shed for a garage. I've got some work to do.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 12-04-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:26 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by 702
Some people have riders, and some people have show bikes. Mine is a rider too, and is a solid 25 footer. Don't be embarrassed because you have a rider, that's what they're for.
True. And that's been my perspective all along. Until I walked past my bike sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks and a new bit of bug spatter, corrosion, or scratch popped out at me every day! .
I probably should wash the bike more often than once a year.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:30 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
I bought a bike to flip a few years back from a guy that was getting a divorce and needed some cash. The fork legs and wheels weren't quite that bad, but they were pretty bad. I had everything powder coated and it looked pretty damn good. I imagine that long term powder coat would hold up pretty well too. A lot less maintenance than trying to keep everything polished.
Yeah I looked into chrome and powder coat. I want to keep the polished look on the forks. Matches the bike better overall.

strokelessone (04-29-2024)
Old 12-04-2023, 08:48 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I lived in a superfund site for 5 years and relied on a tent shed for a garage. I've got some work to do.
aahhh, well that didn't help, I thought maybe you lived along the Gulf Coast and parked it on the beach just be glad you didn't buy a brand new CVO I guess

Old 12-04-2023, 08:56 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb;[url=tel:21476868
21476868[/url]]aahhh, well that didn't help, I thought maybe you lived along the Gulf Coast and parked it on the beach just be glad you didn't buy a brand new CVO I guess
It was a “near-Superfund” because a certain group doesn’t want to admit the contamination levels surrounding the certain group’s nuclear activities. And it was also near the coast 😂.

Could you imagine this on a CVO? Ouch! And think of the depreciation, worth $15k less just rolling off the lot! 😉

Old 12-04-2023, 09:01 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

It was a “near-Superfund” because a certain group doesn’t want to admit the contamination levels surrounding the certain group’s nuclear activities. And it was also near the coast 😂.

Could you imagine this on a CVO? Ouch! And think of the depreciation, worth $15k less just rolling off the lot! 😉
no $h!t .. for anyone not named Bezos or Musk it'd be like

Old 12-04-2023, 12:22 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

I will also be replacing all 6 wheel bearings. The 2 bearings in the sprocket look like a treat. Saving these two links for future use when I replace the sprocket bearings. ​I bought the Pit Posse bearing remover/installer. Using SKF 6205-2RSJEM bearings.

Rear wheel sprocket bearing - Harley Davidson Forums (hdforums.com)
how to remove stuck rear wheel bearing 2012 Ultra (non-ABS) - Harley Davidson Forums (hdforums.com)

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX