Sponsored by:

EPA Deal in the works?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default EPA Deal in the works?

Finally got out on my bike yesterday after 2 ft of snow here in NEPA so i stopped at the dealership to spend some gift cards.

I had a long conversation with the Service Manager (Who I know well) about what they would actually let me get away with as far as stage 1 on my 17 flhtk without voiding the warranty. He went on to tell me that HD was trying to work out a deal with the EPA as to certain criteria with exhaust and aftermarket performance. He was saying something was supposed to be ironed out in February but it ran into some issues. He was saying now by july if it goes through. From what I got, it all hinged around having 1 common part which was the now EPA compliant Harley Tuner. Any other parts were ok but the tuner was the crucial part. My guess is they want to control the tune as far as emissions and no matter what the part combo, that will suffice the EPA. Take it for what its worth, it's the first time hearing anything like that.

Smitty

Old 03-30-2017, 01:50 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like it could happen or not, who knows. One thing I do know is you will never see a Harley tuner on my bike. I have read to many **** stories about them. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that they are only going to go so far with there tunes to keep them in spec. You add one of the other brands of tuner and you will see the best your bike can run besides having someone professionally tune it. Mine runs fantastic to say the least.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:53 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I agree with goose. When I do put a tuner on mine it won't be one of the Harley models.

I've used the power vision and the FP3 and either one will give you results heads and shoulders over what the Harley tuners will do

Old 03-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

If You compare the AFR numbers from HD Street tuner to V&H FP3.They are identical.So how many of You that love Your aftermarket tuners are running EPA compliant?

Old 03-30-2017, 06:25 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

When you say the AFR numbers are identical, how do you mean that? For a canned map? An auto tune session? After adjustments?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Harttoo
If You compare the AFR numbers from HD Street tuner to V&H FP3.They are identical.So how many of You that love Your aftermarket tuners are running EPA compliant?
I can attest to all SE Stage 1 parts with Pro Street Tuner and dyno tuned by a truly competent tech and I have the most incredible drive ability I've ever experienced on a Harley..$1500 later and 'only' 84 and 105 and all legal and covered under warranty and as reliable as you'll get..it's been way more than satisfying for me..100 ft lbs of tq at 2000 rpm's feels real good in the M8 107..I think people underestimate the MOCO proprietary builds..I'm done throwing tons of money around with aftermarket head pipes, cams, tuners this that and the other thing....I realize Harley culture and ownership is different, but times have changed..how many people hop up their new cars..still a lot of carryover mentality from the days of anemic performance from stock Harleys, and if it ain't loud I ain't proud way of thinking...but these new engines have at least gotten to the point where the stock performance is beyond acceptable IMHO...these ain't 'Your Father's Oldsmobiles'..but because of the Harley culture, no matter what they do to improve we'll never 'leave well enough alone' and modifying them is fun, cool and good for the business and economy so ride on and enjoy

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-31-2017 at 08:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
saafrican (03-30-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

It is a done deal last year. All over the news then. H-D paid EPA $12 million for a fine and $3 million for purchasing alternative furnaces for folks with wood burning ones.

H-D must report all warranty work to EPA for their monitoring compliance with the consent decree.

For its part H-D denied any wrong doing but legal fees to challenge EPA would take years and cost far more than the settlement.

The legal levels of stages for the M8 develop strong power and still remain emissions compliant.

And just how long do you think the other tuners will face EPA sanctions?

Cobra gave up on it's closed loop tuners several years ago. Their latest model only runs when in open loop.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-01-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:09 AM
Bruesw
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
It is a done deal last year. All over the news then. H-D paid EPA $12 million for a fine and $3 million for purchasing alternative furnaces for folks with wood burning ones.

H-D must repost all warranty work to EPA for their monitoring compliance with the consent decree.

For its part H-D denied any wrong doing but legal fees to challenge EPA would take years and cost far more than the settlement.

The legal levels of stages for the M8 develop strong power and still remain emissions compliant.

And just how long do you think the other tuners will face EPA sanctions?

Cobra gave up on it's closed loop tuners several years ago. Their latest model only runs when in open loop.
I don't think you are going to see anymore of those sanctions. Trump is cleaning house at the EPA.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

This is the best stock running Harley I've owned 4th Harley. I did stage one on two Harleys and stage 4 on my Lowrider. The M8 runs fantastic stock and may make changes in future but so far 3,200 miles runs fantastic and believe it keeps getting better!
Love it!

Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

a deal with Harley to allow other tuners and head pipes? naw I doubt that one. why on earth would Harley want to open the door for the aftermarket to make money on stuff that Harley sells? If anything, they would be working on getting that fine money back. This kind of deal would have to come from the aftermarket suppliers if from anyone. Harley in essence has somewhat of a monopoly on turners enforced by the epa. no way would they want to give that up.

Quick Reply: EPA Deal in the works?