Sponsored by:

Calling Stage 1Experts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Calling Stage 1Experts

Just had a Harley all the way Stage One done on my 2017 RK. High Flow Air Cleaner Kit. Street Cannons and the Harley tuner.

What am I supposed to feel different in the way it performs? I tested one before buying this one and it felt much more powerful from the get go. Is there a break in period?

The main thing I notice was much more pull in the 3000+ rev range. Not much other than that.

Comments welcomed.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:28 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 997 Likes on 593 Posts

Not much. There isn't much power gain in a Stage 1.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:40 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunlowrider
Just had a Harley all the way Stage One done on my 2017 RK. High Flow Air Cleaner Kit. Street Cannons and the Harley tuner.

What am I supposed to feel different in the way it performs? I tested one before buying this one and it felt much more powerful from the get go. Is there a break in period?

The main thing I notice was much more pull in the 3000+ rev range. Not much other than that.

Comments welcomed.
yup, a bump in midrange tq is primary benefit, and 950 rpm idle..I had mine then properly dyno tuned and it gained some tq lower in the rpm range as well as a couple more hp throughout and the overall throttle response and drive-ability improved..the S1 canned calibration gets it close..proper dyno punches it into the end zone for the score!..btw...I used the exact same SE stuff as you did

Old 04-24-2017, 07:49 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Not much. There isn't much power gain in a Stage 1.
Then why do it?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yup, a bump in midrange tq is primary benefit, and 950 rpm idle..I had mine then properly dyno tuned and it gained some tq lower in the rpm range as well as a couple more hp throughout and the overall throttle response and drive-ability improved..the S1 canned calibration gets it close..proper dyno punches it into the end zone for the score!..btw...I used the exact same SE stuff as you did
I'm heading to the rally in Texas next month. I bet some nice folks would be happy to dial it in for me!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

here's the improvements I got from having it dyno tuned after the S1 calibration..red is what you get with the calibration, blue is fine tuned..fine tuning it made a World of difference to me, and knowing it is as accurate as it can be with the EPA tuner feels great..I see no need to go further..it's a Touring bike, and does what I need it to happily

Attached Thumbnails Calling Stage 1Experts-img_0507.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
here's the improvements I got from having it dyno tuned after the S1 calibration..red is what you get with the calibration, blue is fine tuned..fine tuning it made a World of difference to me, and knowing it is as accurate as it can be with the EPA tuner feels great..I see no need to go further..it's a Touring bike, and does what I need it to happily
If I follow the on line tutorials can I "auto tune" with the Harley tuner and improve the performance?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

If I follow the on line tutorials can I "auto tune" with the Harley tuner and improve the performance?
that's the idea, and some folks here have reported successful and satisfying results so yeah, should definitely see improvements over the base calibration..I was too lazy to spend the time and effort and it was well worth the $325 getting it done right immediately..I'm impatient and willing to pay for instant gratification..wish marriage was that easy, whatever the Hell that means :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
BrokenAnchor (04-25-2017), cajunlowrider (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I have done auto tune three times thus far. The SE tuner will record about 15 minutes give or take before the buffer is full, so I plan out how I'm going to ride based on the tutorial. I don't put my bike through a ride like a dyno. I rarely accelerate to red line because a lot of my riding is touring.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by PeteF
I have done auto tune three times thus far. The SE tuner will record about 15 minutes give or take before the buffer is full, so I plan out how I'm going to ride based on the tutorial. I don't put my bike through a ride like a dyno. I rarely accelerate to red line because a lot of my riding is touring.
And? Good results?

Quick Reply: Calling Stage 1Experts