Sponsored by:

Best $ 800 Farkle for your M8 - Ohlins Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
You'really kidding yourself if you think the 13" harley shocks are anywhere near the aftermarket 13" shocks. There are some extra travel 12's that can work IMO unless you absolutely can't reach the ground stick with 13's
Uh, yes the 2017 13" hand adjustable rear shocks with 23-click adjustment (I ordered the individual part numbers vs the HD premium on website) are a substantial upgrade on my 16 Ultra. Of course mine had air shocks. They are better than the progressive 944s I had on my last bike..and way easier to adjust for 2 up riding

I really think upgrading the forks is money and that is what makes the most difference in the ride. My total parts outlay was around $725. The difference is ridiculous...I really dont get why the cartridges cant come stock on other bikes than the low..The difference is like changing the stock boom system to an 8 speaker setup with amps..

I would have gone Ohlin or legend, but my budget wouldnt allow for front and rear and I wanted to do both at once....I am happy every time I ride it...which is daily...

If I had a 17 I would put cartridges in the front first and see how it rides..and go from there...

Ride safe all!!!

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 04-28-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

You'really kidding yourself if you think the 13" harley shocks are anywhere near the aftermarket 13" shocks. There are some extra travel 12's that can work IMO unless you absolutely can't reach the ground stick with 13's
no, not kidding myself, have upgraded all my Harleys with aftermarket suspension because the stock ones all sucked..I kept the OEM's on my 2017 Road King because they are better than the Progressive 944's I had on my 2015 Road King. Same with the forks, as good as Progressive Monotube fork kit I have used before, no need to upgrade those again...when i ride my 2017 I don't ever think about the suspension, prior to now I couldn't think about anything else until I upgraded. I have no problem spending money on my bikes, if I felt for a second it was inadequate it would have been replaced immediately. My first set of Ohlins were on my 1978 Husky 250 when I was racing motocross starting back in the 1970's..I have a little bit of experience with motorcycle suspension over the last 40 years..

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-28-2017 at 10:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
cajunlowrider (05-04-2017), lp (04-29-2017), Wmoor004 (04-03-2018)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 PM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I have found

that the suspension on my 08 is much better than my 13. Think they got worse until 2017.

Ben

Old 04-29-2017, 12:16 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on a lowly 2015RGS and suspension is one of the reasons I have yet to move to the M8 as I have Ohlins on mine already. Just a bit better engine wasn't enough of a reason..

Old 04-29-2017, 03:54 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I have a little bit of experience with motorcycle suspension over the last 40 years..
I am only 50 but riding my whole life so you have a few years on me because I wasn't fiddling with suspension at 10 years old as if it makes a difference. LOL

If you were into motocross at all as was I than you have probably talked to George at Pro Action. That is where I got the rears for my 2010. The 17 that I have sitting next to it in the garage has no where need the ride that the 10 has dispite endless fiddling. Both are late model frames. I thought I would give Ohlin's a shot this time around to give an apples to apples of pro action to Ohlin's and am awaiting their arrival. YYMV but I know that for me and especially the mrs. there is a substantial difference between the two.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:57 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
Uh, yes the 2017 13" hand adjustable rear shocks with 23-click adjustment (I ordered the individual part numbers vs the HD premium on website) are a substantial upgrade on my 16 Ultra. Of course mine had air shocks.
I won't doubt that over the air shocks. Some can make them work but I never had much luck with them 2 up. Solo I could tolerate it. You also have the leaking air and having to carry a pump so I can see where you are coming from.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I am only 50 but riding my whole life so you have a few years on me because I wasn't fiddling with suspension at 10 years old as if it makes a difference. LOL

If you were into motocross at all as was I than you have probably talked to George at Pro Action. That is where I got the rears for my 2010. The 17 that I have sitting next to it in the garage has no where need the ride that the 10 has dispite endless fiddling. Both are late model frames. I thought I would give Ohlin's a shot this time around to give an apples to apples of pro action to Ohlin's and am awaiting their arrival. YYMV but I know that for me and especially the mrs. there is a substantial difference between the two.
I'm 55, started riding about 10, started mx racing at 15 and quit at 25...used all kinds of different forks and shocks combinations...Ohlins, Fox Air Shocks, White Brothers, Works Performance...once you got good, suspension was the #1 improvement to become a better racer... and then continued riding in the mountains, woods, tracks anywhere, then got back into Vintage MX racing in my mid 40's until age 50...point being I understand the importance of properly set up suspension for handling etc. and the garbage that came on all my Harley's prior to the M8 had to go immediately, pleasantly surprised to not have that feeling for the first time

Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

I understand where you are coming from but with your background you then understand that a good portion of the time when you add more spring the compression and rebound damping come into play. When we road MX our weight remained constant only the track conditions varied but all 3 adjustments still made a difference. Same went for track days on my sport bikes. Enter into the Harley world where our loads vary greatly sometimes as much as 200lbs more spring is needed to support the load and adjustments to the damping to compensate.

Where I am coming from is that the HD shocks with preload only are not in the same league as higher end shocks that are adjustable. Are they way better than the air shocks of the past yes.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:59 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I understand where you are coming from but with your background you then understand that a good portion of the time when you add more spring the compression and rebound damping come into play. When we road MX our weight remained constant only the track conditions varied but all 3 adjustments still made a difference. Same went for track days on my sport bikes. Enter into the Harley world where our loads vary greatly sometimes as much as 200lbs more spring is needed to support the load and adjustments to the damping to compensate.

Where I am coming from is that the HD shocks with preload only are not in the same league as higher end shocks that are adjustable. Are they way better than the air shocks of the past yes.
yup, I spent a lot of time adjusting preload, rebound, damping, moving the forks up or down in the triple clamps..I've just come to the point that after 5000 miles, much which includes riding on unprecedented terribly deteriorated pot hole infested roads and highways we have seen from one of the worst Winters on record here, that my bike feels stable and compliant and hard braking doesn't make the front dive like my bikes of the past...are there better products, sure...mine's good enough to keep me from feeling like I need to throw beaucoup bucks at a problem I don't perceive that needs to be addressed..I know what shitty suspension feels like, my RK suspension isn't shitty..others may be more discerning and their results may vary

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-29-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:53 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

My first set of Ohlins were on my 1978 Husky 250 when I was racing motocross starting back in the 1970's..

^5 ! My first Husky was a 1968 360 8-Speed Desert Racer and it promptly got a set of Girling's suspenders on the back. After that one, a 1970 400 Cross (wish I had kept that one, aka the Steve McQueen / Malcolm Smith bike). then a 1973 250 CR Husky. They always got suspension improvements - what great bikes. I'm too old to race those anymore, but have fond memories of many an MX race and Hare Scrambles.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Best $ 800 Farkle for your M8 - Ohlins Rear Shocks