Sponsored by:

Best $ 800 Farkle for your M8 - Ohlins Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Best $ 800 Farkle for your M8 - Ohlins Rear Shocks

First ride today (into work) on the Harley with the new rear Ohlins shocks on my 2017 Road Glide Special. What a difference. My spine is no longer being hammered into my brain stem over irregular pavement. I purposely rode to work on the worst roads in order to feel the difference,and it was amazing. The bike just glides over the repaired potholes now without rattling my eyeballs, like silk.

Harley puts a cheap, trash suspension on their bikes - even though they like to sell the 2017's as having this wonderful new system. The bikes - and their customers - deserve better from the factory. I took the OEM shocks off and they were about half the weight of the Ohlins, the spring 1/2 the size in the coils, and their dampening is a joke. In fact the right side one is not even adjustable, its just a slave to the left one on the OEM shock. Typical Japanese-made cheap shocks, they probably paid about $ 18 for each one.

When my budget recovers, I will put the Ohlins fork kit in the front. That will be another $ 600 and require a front end teardown. The back end of the bike is more important though, at least for comfort - and that's now fixed. If you do the install yourself, you will need to be able to jack the bike up and get the rear wheel off the ground. Don't attempt it on the Jiffy Stand.

Ohlins model # 159, set the sag at 1/2" (15mm), your compression dampening at 20 clicks and off you go. $ 765 for the pair + $ 30 ship from Kyle Racing in CA is where I bought mine. Not sure if that's the lowest price - that lunatic in Florida may be less - but who needs the hassle? Kyle can answer your questions and get your order done without any drama. http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/Ohlins-M...pension_c2.htm

Last edited by drcollie; 04-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by drcollie:
Eccool (04-03-2018), G'day (04-29-2017), hog95023 (08-01-2019), Nickatnyt (04-30-2017), psyshack (04-29-2017), roadkinglobo (05-15-2018), smokingjoe (04-28-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 AM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Never had that big of a problem with the shocks.

For me, 800 would be better served going towards a better seat, windshield and backrest and hwy pegs.

Ben

Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

there is zero question that Ohlins are far superior to the OEM's on the SGS, but the 13" shocks on the Road King closes the gap...that extra inch of travel makes a huge difference on how much more compliant the rear suspension works

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-29-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 PM
jcarruth
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

What length are your new Ohlins?

Old 04-28-2017, 01:31 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We must have better roads in Georgia. I've been pretty happy with the factory suspension on my 17 Ultra. I removed the Ohlins off of my 2013 before I traded it in and I believe they would go right on the '17, but at this point I haven't done so. Only got about 5,000 miles on the factory setup so I'll give it a little longer before I decide to change them out or not (I already got several requests for my ohlins from a previous post but not interested in selling them, yet)

Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop
For me, 800 would be better served going towards a better seat, windshield and backrest and hwy pegs.

Ben

And that's exactly why HD continues to put dog-**** suspension components on their bikes. Too many people either accept that an HD is supposed to ride that way (because they don't know any better), or they buy other stuff like seats to help cover up the actual issue...... shitty suspension.

The following users liked this post:
roadkinglobo (05-15-2018)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:50 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
First ride today (into work) on the Harley with the new rear Ohlins shocks on my 2017 Road Glide Special. What a difference. My spine is no longer being hammered into my brain stem over irregular pavement. I purposely rode to work on the worst roads in order to feel the difference,and it was amazing. The bike just glides over the repaired potholes now without rattling my eyeballs, like silk.

Harley puts a cheap, trash suspension on their bikes - even though they like to sell the 2017's as having this wonderful new system. The bikes - and their customers - deserve better from the factory. I took the OEM shocks off and they were about half the weight of the Ohlins, the spring 1/2 the size in the coils, and their dampening is a joke. In fact the right side one is not even adjustable, its just a slave to the left one on the OEM shock. Typical Japanese-made cheap shocks, they probably paid about $ 18 for each one.

When my budget recovers, I will put the Ohlins fork kit in the front. That will be another $ 600 and require a front end teardown. The back end of the bike is more important though, at least for comfort - and that's now fixed. If you do the install yourself, you will need to be able to jack the bike up and get the rear wheel off the ground. Don't attempt it on the Jiffy Stand.

Ohlins model # 159, set the sag at 1/2" (15mm), your compression dampening at 20 clicks and off you go. $ 765 for the pair + $ 30 ship from Kyle Racing in CA is where I bought mine. Not sure if that's the lowest price - that lunatic in Florida may be less - but who needs the hassle? Kyle can answer your questions and get your order done without any drama. http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/Ohlins-M...pension_c2.htm

You got a Road Glide so the front forks are a piece of cake. When you get to the point where you wanna install the Ohlins catridges, let me know and I'll send you the special tools you'll need for the install. Only thing I ask in return is that you send them back.

There are not a lot of people out there that have posted info about the Ohlins cartridges. I remember reading about a guy who installed them and was very disappointed. He had purchased them from a vendor who only distributed them and did not service them. He claimed there was ridiculous brake dive and the overall handling was really mushy. They were blowing through almost the entire stroke. Whether or not he boogered the install is unknown. Howard saw the post and got ahold of him. He had the guy send him the cartridges, he re-valved them, and sent them back. Apparently the guy was really happy after that.

I got my Ohlins catridges and rear shocks from MM and I'm very happy with both. I had the same rear shocks on my previous bike so I knew what to expect, but the catridges were new to me. Very easy though.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

I have a picture on the wall of my taking a corner on the Dragon and the front of my RK is sagging into the road. I remember the rear end was so harsh. What's wrong with putting a good set of forks and some inches of suspension in the back? It's one thing to personalize your ride. It's another thing to need to change out essentials.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:39 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
there is zero question that Ohlins are far superior to the OEM's on the SGS, but the 13" shocks on the Road King closes the gap...that extra inch of travel makes a huge difference on how much more compliant the rear suspension works
You'really kidding yourself if you think the 13" harley shocks are anywhere near the aftermarket 13" shocks. There are some extra travel 12's that can work IMO unless you absolutely can't reach the ground stick with 13's

Last edited by todd-67; 04-28-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:25 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Speaking of cheap crap harley puts on their bikes includes the dunlop drive outs, man what trash, I bought a 2017 Road Glide and the damn thing beats me to death.
First I put a set of Michelin commander 2's on it and the difference is nite and day
I have a Hammock seat coming in the mail, then a set of ohlins, that outa do it, but honestly men the way harley rips us has me thinking another brand.
joe.

Quick Reply: Best $ 800 Farkle for your M8 - Ohlins Rear Shocks