Sponsored by:

Windshields?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:02 PM
WmRickert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by el_diablo
I'm 6'2" and sit tall. I switched from an LRS to a Klockwerks 8" and like it much better. I look right over the top and it does it's job.
The stock shield is a 10" and I'm getting pegged mid nose & up. 90mph seems to be a sweet spot on these M8's so I'm looking for something to keep the bugs off and stop head buffeting. I just don't see how an 8" is going to help in my situation. I'm guessing our riding styles are a bit different. I updated my original post. Hope that helps.

Edit: I looked at your advice and figured I'd read some testimonials. Kind of hard to believe. Bordering on too good to be true. If I can wear a ball cap at 80 mph that would be darn near ideal. Don't like the look of the Klock flare though and that is a premium price for some heat molded plastic.

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Many times people change windshields, then get a new saddle only to have to replace the windshield again because of seat height.
Thanks and good point. I'm comin up from a '10 so the relative improvement is so great I don't see a need to upgrade the seat.

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
Bro, you are about to get a million answers because its so diff for everyone.....
I had that same exact thought when I asked the question. I'm mostly wanting to avoid the junk shields and limit my failed attempts. If I get very lucky I'll find someone here with the same goals when buying a shield. I'm thinking yours is the closest so far. Being 3" taller I'm thinking I might be happiest going for the 12" or I may be way off.

I really appreciate everyone's input so far. Keep em comming.

Last edited by WmRickert; 04-29-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:43 PM
el_diablo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WmRickert
The stock shield is a 10" and I'm getting pegged mid nose & up. 90mph seems to be a sweet spot on these M8's so I'm looking for something to keep the bugs off and stop head buffeting. I just don't see how an 8" is going to help in my situation. I'm guessing our riding styles are a bit different. I updated my original post. Hope that helps.

Edit: I looked at your advice and figured I'd read some testimonials. Kind of hard to believe. Bordering on too good to be true. If I can wear a ball cap at 80 mph that would be darn near ideal.

My '14 is a streetglide so different fairing. But, I'm convinced of Klockwerks design on a RG as well because everyone I run with that owns a RG also runs a Klockwerks windshield.

I wear a ball cap occasionally and have no problem cruising 90+. I nearly always prefer my full face brain bucket though.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:04 PM
103luckygreenDude
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On my SGS I have a Memphis Shade 6 1/2". I'm 5'8" and it has cut down the buffeting more than stock but not a huge amount.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:49 PM
rollonfreebird
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the clear view, not really any better than stock, should have left it alone

Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 PM
redrocket465
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm 6' I swear by klockwerks shields super smooth cool look. I have the 8 and the 11.5 I use two different seats one stock amid one heated. Stock seat with 8 and heated I use 11.5 both dark tints... I've purchased no less then 10 shields for my Harleys finally I found klockwerks.... best shields I've owned... designed for racing on salt flats...

Old 04-29-2017, 08:47 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Lots of places out there have demo shields that you can try out as long as you keep the film on the windshield. Your best bet is to try out a few different shields and see what suits your style and comfort. Just my two cents worth.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:39 AM
yowflhtk
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"I had that same exact thought when I asked the question. I'm mostly wanting to avoid the junk shields and limit my failed attempts. If I get very lucky I'll find someone here with the same goals when buying a shield. I'm thinking yours is the closest so far. Being 3" taller I'm thinking I might be happiest going for the 12" or I may be way off."

I'm 6'-2" as well and was experiencing the exact same as you with the 10" stock shield. I went with the Harley 12" and problem solved. It is contoured a little different from the stock and doesn't look as cool, but it works great. I ride mostly extended touring as well, and function/comfort trumps style very time.

Cheers,
Martin

Old 05-02-2017, 01:27 PM
101ABN_17FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Im 6'2" with a 32" inseam (Tall from the waist up) I got the 12" Long Ride Shield (LRS) Ultra Elite w/ medium tint and love it. I have about 2" clearance from eye level and the wind flows ~4" over my head. Add the price ($87.00 shipped) and its a definite winner.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:22 PM
WmRickert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 101ABN_17FLHTK
Im 6'2" with a 32" inseam (Tall from the waist up) I got the 12" Long Ride Shield (LRS) Ultra Elite w/ medium tint and love it. I have about 2" clearance from eye level and the wind flows ~4" over my head. Add the price ($87.00 shipped) and its a definite winner.
Think I'm leanin this way. I don't need to spend another C note for the same results. Don't make sense to me.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Nonskid
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocket465
I'm 6' I swear by klockwerks shields super smooth cool look. I have the 8 and the 11.5 I use two different seats one stock amid one heated. Stock seat with 8 and heated I use 11.5 both dark tints... I've purchased no less then 10 shields for my Harleys finally I found klockwerks.... best shields I've owned... designed for racing on salt flats...
What bike do you have? I am 6 feet tall with a stock seat on a SGS. I am looking at the 8" Klock Werks. Can you see over it ok?

Quick Reply: Windshields?