Sponsored by:

I want my Bike to rd and I would even like to be felt coming up

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:09 PM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I want my Bike to Roar and I would even like to be felt coming up

I passed a Fatboy S today on my way home to pick up my bike.

You could hear this Harley coming and you could feel a slight vibration almost in the road.

I LOVE THAT!!

My ROAD KING S has a set of Slip on Rineharts and while I like them . they are just slip ons and don't produce enough sound for me.

I would like to get more low end rumble and even have it where cars can feel me coming

More power for riding 2 up with wife as well.

More about clean but loud sound.. power is a plus.. but not trying to turn this bike into a race bike.. that's what my car is for.

What would I need to do to get there ?

I want clean power and torque not some fly by night set up.

What would you suggest ? I want to keep the slip ons but add to the bike.

Budget is 2,500. But would naturally prefer to spend less.

THANKS

THANKS

Last edited by FunnelCake Combo; 04-29-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:18 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Probably not going to get that with a 2-1-2 system of even the Reinhart slip on with a true dual. Pipes on the soft tail were probably something along the lines of short shots. D&D Draco or other 2-1 would be close.

The reason I say that is I am running rinhart's with an open header on a built TC 107 and it is not obnoxiously loud.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 PM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer

I'm not looking for obnoxious.. Maybe that's the picture I painted though. Just looking fur a louder deeper should that you can hear.

I swear sometimes you can't hear my bike St all. The rineharts sound good but quiet.

would a woods cam, tuner, air cleaner and head pipe give me a good deep should that's more noticeable?

I heard a street glide at Harley with rineharts stage 1 tuner and ventilator.. Not much difference from my bike a little.. but not much. Thought stage 2 but then thought if I need to go headpipe mine as well go fuel Moto or similar upgrades.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 PM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer

Apologize for spelling errors. I'm on my work phone and its clearly time for a replacement. Touch screen is getting shotty.

but just would like feedback.. I feel like all the M8's I'm hearing are far quieter than most TC's I hear ..

love my bike.. Wouldn't want anything else. Just desire more throaty rumbling its a Harley coming sound

Old 04-28-2017, 07:28 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd start with the most simple and inexpensive route by getting the cat out of the factory head pipe. You'll eek out a smidgen more power with a noticeable increase in sound. That'll cost you a little elbow grease or about $100 if you get someone to do it. Putting a better flowing A/C can also help, but you may be looking at tuning depending on what you do in that regard.

Here's an audio clip of my M8 from yesterday after I added true duals, slip-ons and a monster sucker a/c. Not for everyone, but there's no chance of not hearing me now!

Last edited by xnysgt; 04-28-2017 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FunnelCake Combo (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 04:09 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by FunnelCake Combo
I'm not looking for obnoxious.. Maybe that's the picture I painted though. Just looking fur a louder deeper should that you can hear.

I swear sometimes you can't hear my bike St all. The rineharts sound good but quiet.

would a woods cam, tuner, air cleaner and head pipe give me a good deep should that's more noticeable?

I heard a street glide at Harley with rineharts stage 1 tuner and ventilator.. Not much difference from my bike a little.. but not much. Thought stage 2 but then thought if I need to go headpipe mine as well go fuel Moto or similar upgrades.
Ok... lol That was the impression that I got from your description when you said feel the sound. My bike is loud with the build and the Rinharts but it's not loud like some guys I have ridden with. I definitely don't think that they are an overly loud muffler. I think the V&H mufflers i have had in the past are louder. The Rush mufflers I tried for a bit were more on the quiet side.

I agree with the other post. Get rid of the cat and see where you stand. The cat holds back a lot of sound.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:16 AM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer

Originally Posted by xnysgt
I'd start with the most simple and inexpensive route by getting the cat out of the factory head pipe. You'll eek out a smidgen more power with a noticeable increase in sound. That'll cost you a little elbow grease or about $100 if you get someone to do it. Putting a better flowing A/C can also help, but you may be looking at tuning depending on what you do in that regard.

Here's an audio clip of my M8 from yesterday after I added true duals, slip-ons and a monster sucker a/c. Not for everyone, but there's no chance of not hearing me now!
https://youtu.be/Ht1jNljutiI

Thanks this right up there with what I was thinking.. Your set up sounds Awesome. what tuner did you go with ? did you lose any power or torque with your set up ?

Old 04-29-2017, 06:41 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

The cat converter acts like a muffler. Until the cat is gone, the sound you may be looking for will be also. A 2-1-2 header pipe, using your current mufflers, is where I would start. If you have not visited www.fuelmotousa.com Start there and read what applies.
Also keep in mind, these upgrades "may" void your factory powertrain warranty on the 17's.

Last edited by checkers; 04-29-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:23 AM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks this right up there with what I was thinking.. Your set up sounds Awesome. what tuner did you go with ? did you lose any power or torque with your set up ?
I got a custom tune from Fuel Moto via Power Vision II. My buddy already had the tuner, so I just bought my own license specific for my bike from FM and now I get my own lifetime tunes and tech assistance for half the price.

I've only been on one brief highway run and a longer back roads run. Of course there's some difference, but for me it's negligible. The bike already had plenty of HP and torque for my style of riding and having done true duals on previous bikes, I knew to expect some difference. But it's not glaring and the bike still wants to go when I get on it.

Plus, I'm not cracking the throttle with the new exhaust set up because it really sounds off when the throttle is twisted with purpose. I wanted to be noticed in a good way, as in so drivers would hear it and know a bike is nearby, and they'd look around for me to improve my safety. I wasn't necessarily looking to be noticed with sneers of annoyance. I'm on the cusp, but 'ef it!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,626 Likes on 5,180 Posts

It is easy to make them loud. Just remember good hearing aids cost about $3500-$6000. You can now control them with your phone, yep there is an app for that.
And they last about 5-8 years if you don't lose one or both.
Up side to hearing loss you don't hear some the sound in the engine folks like to bitxx about.

Quick Reply: I want my Bike to rd and I would even like to be felt coming up