"17 Tri going into an almost Limp mode 4 times now Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts
Default "17 Tri going into an almost Limp mode 4 times now Help

fixed

Last edited by santajim; 05-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:19 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,654 Likes on 4,474 Posts

well, first things first, start at the beginning...at what mileage did he go with the PV and at what mileage did it begin exhibiting this behavior..how many miles did he ride it completely stock and did it do this during that period? want to rule out any obvious direct correlation between the timing of the problem and after market tuner install for initial troubleshooting right? if it behaved normal stock, then didn't after ECM changes, I would think the next step would be to restore ECM to factory settings and see if the problem disappears.....doubt the dealership would pick up the tab on that tho...of course it may be something completely different that others here may have seen or heard of and will chime in..good luck

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-30-2017 at 08:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
santajim (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 10:11 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

fixed

Last edited by santajim; 05-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.
mjwebb (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:43 PM
azjohnryan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Reply to mjwebb

Last edited by azjohnryan; 05-19-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,654 Likes on 4,474 Posts

Originally Posted by azjohnryan
mjwebb my name is azjohnryan and it is my bike that santajim posted about. When I first attached the powervision at about 2000 miles I was using it for gauges only and had made no changes to the computer and all equipment on the bike was stock. We were on a ride to the East valley when this first happened and I had to limp the bike back to Phoenix watching the engine temp on the powervision to keep it from getting too hot. This time it was still having power loss the next day when I took it into the dealer. They had it for a couple of days and when I went in to pick it up They said that there was nothing wrong with it. The only thing they did was update the ecu map from an A map to a newer B map and they assumed the map had become corrupted and they had it fixed. I do not think they diagnosed any components. It was not fixed. This has happened a total of four times now with both the powervision on and off the bike. the last three times it did this after the bike returned to room temp the problem resolved on its own. It has never thrown an error code. After the third episode I replaced the spark plugs and thought I had the problem fixed. It ran great for about 300 miles then crapped out again. I let it cool off for a couple of hours at santajims house then it ran fine coming home, aprox. 30 miles. This is where I am at at present. I do not think the dealer can find the problem without error codes but at the same time no error codes the way the bike was running is a very big clue. What do you think?
I'm not a tuner nor do I play one on the internet...wish I could offer more but have no experience with the electronics..one thing about this forum tho is there are many here that have seen and dealt with all kinds of issues so hopefully somebody can offer up advice..my response above was just being curious about the genesis of the trouble and timeline of changes as a place to understand where to even look to start troubleshooting..good luck!

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-30-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
It is my riding partners '17 Triglide.
Let me throw some info at you guys and see if any of you are having the same issue and what they have done to cure it.
4 times now we have been riding along and his bike will start running rough and lose alot of throttle control. It doesn't go clear into the "limp mode" because he can still get the bike to run at highway speed but the throttle looses the roll on power like when it running right. He has a power vision on the bike and the head temp will run way up and the coolant temp too but dosen't puke fluid. We will pull over and stop and the engine is running very rough almost like the etms has taken over but it is dis enabled. After it has cooled down it will "fix" itself and run fine for a while and then it will do it again. He has had it into the dealer each time but like I said it will fix itself and the strange thing is it never has thrown a code of any kind so it makes it hard to diagnose. We have gone over each of the systems and tried to figure it out ourselves and every time we think we have it dialed in it fools us.
Yesterday we were coming home from Laughlin river run and had put 400 miles on and it started again so he called the dealer and this time they want him to write down everything that has happened so they can take the info to the MOCO but I am asking all of you out there has anything like what I tried to explain happened to any of you and what cure did you find.
We are planning a 3k trip next month but may have to cancel if we can't figure this out. I have told him this thing is almost a Lemon Law thing now.
Thanks for any info.
Santa

Since it is still under warranty, and the dealership cannot replicate the problem. Next time it happens, take a video (with audio) of it...also show the PV engine temp read out in the video.

That way they know there is a problem that needs resolving, even if they cannot replicate it, they have the video, and will need to keep digging until they find the issue.

Also, since it has gotten so hot, insist that they do a Leak-down test to see if the engine is still within spec, or if they need to do some warranty work on replacing parts that have been damaged from the heat.

You are in a hot part of the country, and these things run too hot for their own good. Once they get it fixed, under warranty, you may want to do some things to keep it running cooler. Here is a LINK with good info on the subject.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

I personally wouldn't show a video or take a picture of the Vision anywhere near my bike is i was going to attempt a warranty claim. Why give them any reason at all to deny? The bikes covered, return it to stock form and let the dealer figure it out.

Last edited by Wide Open Cycles; 05-01-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

fixed

Last edited by santajim; 05-21-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
I personally wouldn't show a video or take a picture of the Vision anywhere near my bike is i was going to attempt a warranty claim. Why give them any reason at all to deny? The bikes coveted, return itty to stock form and let the dealer figure it out.
Originally Posted by santajim
I agree don't give the dealer anything that would show you made any alterations to anything.
I mis-read...I thought they already knew it was being used to monitor.

In any case, next time it happens video it...then make them fix it...or go to a different dealership that will.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,455 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Well here is a couple things you could try. Take the air filter assemble off and check to see if the engine temperature sensor it tight. It is located behind the Air cleaner assemble in the front area of the rear cylinder head. Just forward of the pushrod tube. If this is not tight it can do what you describe.

Another thing, if you can, is to try and cool the ECM. If you have a bottle of water and a rag, once it happens pull over and remove the seat. Lift the ECM from where it's snapped in place but DONOT remove the connections! Wet the rag and then wrap the ECM case with the wet rag. This will pull the heat from the ECM quickly, start the bike back up and see if its fixed. If so, you have a bad ECM and its failing under high temperature operation

Last edited by Steve Cole; 05-01-2017 at 06:22 PM.
azjohnryan (05-01-2017)

Quick Reply: "17 Tri going into an almost Limp mode 4 times now Help