Sponsored by:

Slip on will void warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,656 Likes on 4,475 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I wonder how many dealerships are actually being fined for doing this. There seems to be MANY dealers doing this exact same thing. After all, the MOCO is in the business of making money as well. Void warranties = mo money. I think it may be kind of a "dont ask dont tell" situation. MOCO doesnt ask, and the dealers dont tell.
no idea, but our Service Manager said because of the fines they were told by the MOCO would occur, for each instance, and long term repercussions of repeated violations, they won't even consider doing any work on any bike for any customer that would put it out of compliance plain and simple

The following users liked this post:
Beerbar (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
no idea, but our Service Manager said because of the fines they were told by the MOCO would occur, for each instance, and long term repercussions of repeated violations, they won't even consider doing any work on any bike for any customer that would put it out of compliance plain and simple
Yep, that will become the standard answer for all HD dealerships if your bike is still under factory warranty. Once its free from the factory warranty through expiration or being voided, they will do whatever you want to your bike.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:16 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I wonder how many dealerships are actually being fined for doing this. There seems to be MANY dealers doing this exact same thing. After all, the MOCO is in the business of making money as well. Void warranties = mo money. I think it may be kind of a "dont ask dont tell" situation. MOCO doesnt ask, and the dealers dont tell.
My thoughts exactly during the conversation, they don’t kiss and tell

Wiz

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 08-14-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

What business owner is going to jeopardize their relationship with the company that allows them to exist? I have a HOG meeting tonight and the owner starts his piece off every month the same way. Warranty work is tight, if you care about keeping it, leave the bike alone for the first two years or settle for Screaming Eagle parts. We cant protect you.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:01 AM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of old ladies at a hog meeting. If you want to run your bike sounding like a sewing machine for two years because you're scared of your dealership that's your choice. I'll take the risk and put my slip ons on the bike (I did). I already bought a new air cleaner which I haven't installed yet and when I do I will get a tuner also. I bought a new Harley not a Toyota Prius. If the dealership refuses a warranty claim they'll lose my business forever. But I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm going to enjoy my new bike.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:07 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,284 Posts

The dealership doesn't make the decision about whether something is covered by warranty. Only Harley themselves can make those decisions.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:16 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by nferr
Sounds like a bunch of old ladies at a hog meeting. If you want to run your bike sounding like a sewing machine for two years because you're scared of your dealership that's your choice. I'll take the risk and put my slip ons on the bike (I did). I already bought a new air cleaner which I haven't installed yet and when I do I will get a tuner also. I bought a new Harley not a Toyota Prius. If the dealership refuses a warranty claim they'll lose my business forever. But I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm going to enjoy my new bike.
I did the same thing! New Rinehart mufflers and a Power Vision tuner. Runs like a top and its now the coolest running Harley I've ever owned. I fought with Harley over a speedo full of moisture. Got the typical park it in the sun and when the glass becomes too stained to be legible or if the moisture pools enough to ruin the electronics we can look at replacing it. I'm sending the speedo to a guy who fixes the issue and guarantees it after the riding season is over. If you have to battle every single warranty issue you'll never get the opportunity to enjoy your bike...

Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Its your bike. You paid for it and can do anything you want to it. But its HD’s warranty and they can decide if you’re in compliance with THEIR warranty terms. So long as you’re good with those basic facts and you understand that by addiing an aftermarket tuner you might have a $10,000 warranty claim for a sumped engine DENIED..... then go for it. Its your bike and you can do whatever you want.

The following users liked this post:
Beerbar (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Heatwave

Its your bike. You paid for it and can do anything you want to it. But its HD’s warranty and they can decide if you’re in compliance with THEIR warranty terms. So long as you’re good with those basic facts and you understand that by addiing an aftermarket tuner you might have a $10,000 warranty claim for a sumped engine DENIED..... then go for it. Its your bike and you can do whatever you want.

Exactly, insults from others aside, this is the main point the dealer is making at our meetings. Its HD's choice and the dealer will not go out on a limb not even for their best customers. Of course they can slip some things in but HD is getting involved more and more on lesser and lesser claims. Of course, Power vision away, but just hope you dont need any engine work done because its wont be covered. Me? I went with Vance and Hines Eliminator 400's (EPA Compliant) and SE stage 2. Plenty of power and warranty in tact.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser

right, cause youre a badass biker arent ya! My bike sounds fine with my Vance and Hines on it. Scared ? nope, just not stupid. I'd rather not have to go home and tell my girl I need to **** away 8000 on a new motor cause I just had to try and be cool. But hey, your money you do what ya want. My money, I do what I want.

Quick Reply: Slip on will void warranty