Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Harttoo
I wasn't charged included in sales price.
Oh, I think you were charged all right. It just wasn't itemized. They slipped it in elsewhere. These vehicle dealers are some of the most slippery kind of people on the planet. The easiest place to slip it in on you at a Harley store is in the Freight and Set up charges.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Oh, I think you were charged all right. It just wasn't itemized. They slipped it in elsewhere. These vehicle dealers are some of the most slippery kind of people on the planet. The easiest place to slip it in on you at a Harley store is in the Freight and Set up charges.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:43 AM
imchuckm
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harttoo
Had My 5k service done.They used Syn3 in engine but Formula plus in primary and transmission.5K is supposed to be engine oil only.Why would They change primary and trans fluid?Trans had Syn3 since 1k miles.First thing I noticed is that trans did not clunk into 1st.Looked at the paperwork when I got home and saw that They changed all fluids.Were They just being nice or do They know something I don't know?Like mixing Syn3 and Formula plus is a bad thing.
Why don't you just ask the dealership?

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 AM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Could it be that the trans oil can leak into the primary because of damaged inner trans mainshaft support bearing? I do have a whining noise mainly on decel in 3rd and 4th gear. Aren't the shiftable sprockets of the 3rd and 4th gear located on the mainshaft?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Peter Goodes
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I know is that HD appear to be slow at leading the charge here. They will probably wait until it's broke.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,622 Likes on 5,178 Posts

Check mine again still no changes in levels in primary and trans.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:29 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Exactly 37 ounces. Trans looks good.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
TI purchased a in house maintenance deal that changes all fluids every 2500 miles !
why the heck would you change them every 2500? even in the old days people went 3k, and that is excessive.

I would hate to be going to the dealer so much. That would drive me nuts. Maybe that is just evey year or two for some, so no big deal.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by fwj
Could it be that the trans oil can leak into the primary because of damaged inner trans mainshaft support bearing? I do have a whining noise mainly on decel in 3rd and 4th gear. Aren't the shiftable sprockets of the 3rd and 4th gear located on the mainshaft?

Not sure what you mean by "shiftable" as non of the sprockets slide but only 5th and 6th are controlled by clutch dogs on the mainshaft. 1st through 4th are done on the layshaft.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I own two of them one was purchased in August last year and the other in December of last year. They both do it when testing above 3500 RPM, below that not enough to notice. As I've stated all along you must be running the engine above 3500 and closer to 4000 RPM to see transfer and running down the highway at 70 - 90 mph in high gear isn't going to show you much, as your not even close to 4000 at those speeds. I ride a little harder than some of you as I use the engine to compression brake when were running the canyons, so the engine will run from 3500 - 5000 when were playing for 1/2 and hour or more at times and this is where the trouble is. If you do not run it above 3500 for a period of time (>5 minutes) your not going to see too much.
Steve really hits the nail on the head here. It's really all about how much load you are putting on the bike. I ride two up all the time. I am 250 lbs and the wife is 140 lbs. We mostly ride on the mountains/hills and country road. The average load on my bike is going to be a little higher than most, which is probably why I am seeing higher levels of transfer.

Right now I currently have 2500 miles on my M8. I wasn't paying attention at first but after seeing this HDforum post(thank you MJWebb), I started watching the tranny levels. After having to add twice in the 2500 miles, I decided to drain the primary. With the bike upright, I started taking the derby cover off and immediately oil started gushing out (with the plug still in). All my fears of what I had been reading suddenly hit me. This is real. At this point I turned it into a bit of a science experiment and measured everything that came out of the primary. I ended up having 48 oz of oil in the primary. Spec is 34 dry.

From here I think all we can do is inform everyone we know who has an M8 to monitor their transmission level. Even if they are getting ready to take it in for a 1k or 5k within a few hundred miles, check your transmission level. I personally think the 1k and 5k are "masking" why we haven't heard more about this. Customers just aren't checking their levels or monitoring this to the degree we have. They bring it in to the dealer and the dealer dumps all three holes. Level doesn't get checked until they fill them back up. Not saying this is right or wrong, but when the bike comes in running great, there is little reason for the dealer to monitor what comes out of the primary or tranny.

If you end up seeing your tranny go low a time or two, dump the primary and measure what comes out. Shouldn't be much more than 32-36 oz. Then notify your dealer. HD isn't going to rush out a fix if dealers aren't seeing the problem.

The following 3 users liked this post by Macrunner:
FM500 (06-12-2017), Nickatnyt (06-11-2017), rockymtman (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?