Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:02 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Looks like that inner ring/lip where the pushrod runs through (where the putty is) would be about perfect for collecting moving oil and directing it right onto the exposed pushrod end.

Remove that, and there is no cavity for oil to collect nor for oil to be directed. Just machine the face of that thing right off.
You must have been writing your post while I was working on mine. We’re on the same page. I don’t see that the barrier does anything good. Now it could if it sealed the mainshaft end from the rest of the transmission. Then you would have to drill a hole on outside to vent the primary.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:24 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
You must have been writing your post while I was working on mine. We’re on the same page. I don’t see that the barrier does anything good. Now it could if it sealed the mainshaft end from the rest of the transmission. Then you would have to drill a hole on outside to vent the primary.
I think that would work, but I did notice that the 2013 and below Hydraulic actuator plates have the same barrier without the same issues.
So I wonder if it's really the missing oil slinger deal that is the main culprit. Guy on the, "There is a fix!" thread seems to think so... interesting.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:48 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by lp
I think that would work, but I did notice that the 2013 and below Hydraulic actuator plates have the same barrier without the same issues.
So I wonder if it's really the missing oil slinger deal that is the main culprit. Guy on the, "There is a fix!" thread seems to think so... interesting.
Well I think you meant 2013 and newer have the same plate. And according to the bulletin put out by the MOCO some of them experienced transfer. I don’t know why the 2013’s weren’t included on that bulletin. There is something about the M8 that’s making it more prone to do this. Possibly the scissor first gear pushes more oil, maybe the level of oil in the transmission, but if that’s the case I think it would stop after it transferred enough to drop the level. Steve Cole has seen them transfer all but about 4 oz., so it’s not stopping when the level drops. It only makes sense that if the oil is kept from collecting at the mainshaft end the chance of transfer should cease or be severely reduced.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:57 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Settertude
After reading the last few pages, I'm beginning to think that all of the bikes have the potential of transferring. If that is the case (mine isn't yet), shouldn't there be a general recall?

2017 Ultra Limited.

By the way--I would love for the fix to be changing to a cable clutch and the MoCo doing that at no charge.
The MoCo can't recall the bikes if they don't know how to fix the problem or even what's causing it, for that matter. Apparently, their "new product testing" involves riding the bike around the block and if it makes it back to the factory door, then it's good to go.

That's a pretty pathetic state of affairs right there. Business as usual for the ol' MoCo, of course.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:25 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
Does this forum have an ignore idiot button anywhere?
Yeah, it's in the user CP. I use it all the time!

It doesn't use the word "idiot", but I think it's implied.

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-20-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Well I think you meant 2013 and newer have the same plate.
Sorry, that's what I meant. 2013 an newer. Yeah, 2013 was not on the bulletin so I wonder if it was just an oversight or something was somehow different.
The 2014-2016s didn't have the first gear scissor gear so we know that's new.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by lp
Sorry, that's what I meant. 2013 an newer. Yeah, 2013 was not on the bulletin so I wonder if it was just an oversight or something was somehow different.
The 2014-2016s didn't have the first gear scissor gear so we know that's new.
So from what I can tell the scissor gear is on the countershaft. If it is pushing more oil than the previous gear that could be blocking the oil around the mainshaft end from draining or even pushing oil into that space. The thread that was started yesterday mentioned baffles which is basically something I suggested on a previous post by cutting stainless steel sheet metal washers that cover the bearings and slow the flow of oil through the bearings. From what I can see this isn't something that they have had previously, but I don't see how it could hurt anything. Eighteen or twenty two gauge metal would probably work and it is not very thick. Eighteen is 3/64 and twenty two is 1/32". That in conjunction with machining away the barrier might be the ticket. The thing we don't know is what the engineers at Harley have already tried that hasn't worked. From what we have been told by members that have had an attempted fix at a dealer, I don't think this has been attempted yet.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,260 Likes on 3,630 Posts

What I propose Max is machining out what you have circled in yellow in the first image. If you look closely at the clay you will see that the end of the mainshaft goes into the hole and is flush with the other side of that barrier. There is a little space between the barrier and the actuator where oil can collect and then be pulled through the mainshaft into the primary. At high rpm the bearing might be pushing oil into the cavity and through the mainshaft. It might be that’s the case at all rpm, although if that’s true then it should happen on all M8’s. Machining that out will let the oil drain back into the transmission case. I suspect that when the transmission is in motion the oil level should drop somewhat because oil is being picked up by the gears, this should allow for oil to drain back into the case. A slinger could help by throwing oil away from the mainshaft end or it may end up being another collection point. Just have to see.
You say machine from the inner part only out to the the ring?? You only make the chamber bigger by doing that.. You still don't give the oil a way out.. The clay basically defines the chamber.. Yes the mainshaft and nut extend int the cover slightly.. If anything machine the outside to an OD say 1/4 inch smaller than the clay (1/8 per side). Give the oil a way to leave the area.. I would not machine the inside section where the red arrow points. Keep that close as any oil entering that area should be flung out by the spinning nut.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:50 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You say machine from the inner part only out to the the ring?? You only make the chamber bigger by doing that.. You still don't give the oil a way out.. The clay basically defines the chamber.. Yes the mainshaft and nut extend int the cover slightly.. If anything machine the outside to an OD say 1/4 inch smaller than the clay (1/8 per side). Give the oil a way to leave the area.. I would not machine the inside section where the red arrow points. Keep that close as any oil entering that area should be flung out by the spinning nut.
Originally Posted by Max Headflow

Ok, so what I am proposing is taking out the material circled in yellow or just a little less. If you look at the parts drawing which is a view from the other side, what this does is open the hydraulic actuator pocket so that there is no partition or barrier holding oil between it and the actuator. This allows oil to drain freely. Could it lead to other problems? Maybe. I have no idea what purpose the engineer that designed this had in mind for the barrier. If it was meant to keep oil away from the mainshaft end it seems it may be doing the complete opposite.

The following users liked this post:
lp (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,431 Likes on 1,577 Posts

As I said long ago, the real problem is how much oil is being pushed into the area. This is why I have been looking for a sealed bearing. This would stop all the oil being supplied from the bearing itself.

The ring area where Max has circled is only 0.040" from the machined surface on the bearing plate when installed. I took the bearing plate and machined it to gain clearance to allow the oil a way out. I removed ~ 0.125" from the bearing plate in this area which is about as far as you can. If you were to cut anymore away you cut into the snap-ring area. I also made small bevel cut around the the outer edge of the circle Max drew to open the clearance as much as I could on that side. The problem is those areas on the cover are very thin and not much can be removed or you break through to the outer side. Since the newer slave does not have the o-ring seal I did not want to break into that area. I also made a new gasket out of 1/8" material to space the cover away from the bearing plate, again to gain clearance for the oil to get out.

All of this with the slinger ring installed did not stop oil transfer. So I then moved into the oil balance hole that is in the bearing plate, thinking it might be not allowing the oil back through the plate fast enough. Made a deflector cover that would stop or at least slow that from happening and installed it. No change from the previous testing.

There has been a few more things that showed no promise in testing, so I will not bother talking about those but this is a bigger problem than many would think. The sealed bearing is the next thing that I feel needs testing.

I have a Baker cover that Mark from Baker has supplied and it has much more open area in it and I will try that as soon as I can get back onto it. If and when I can get a sealed bearing that will be tried as well.

The following users liked this post:
lp (10-20-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?