Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

12,000 miles on my bike now and not an ounce of fluid transfer. Doesn't burn any oil either.

The following 3 users liked this post by SWThomas:
G'day (12-14-2017), mjwebb (12-03-2017), sixguns (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:51 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,693 Likes on 4,493 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
12,000 miles on my bike now and not an ounce of fluid transfer. Doesn't burn any oil either.
wanna' work a trade? lol...glad to hear..mine have been pretty minimal on both and completely manageable/tolerable after over 16,000 miles..love riding it more and more each time..by far my best Harley riding experience ever

The following users liked this post:
SoCalHDMC (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
In the meantime you need to start carrying a spare quart of Formula Plus and a turkey baster in your saddlebag if you are going to take a trip. That is what we all signed up for when we bought these new bikes, isn't it?
Yikes.. Guess I won't make that mistake again

Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 AM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"In the meantime you need to start carrying a spare quart of Formula Plus and a turkey baster in your saddlebag if you are going to take a trip."

I remember in the 1960's reading a article in HD's old "Enthusiast" that the tourpac was to be packed with your bike's away-from-home tools, rags, small air pump, patch kit, spark plugs/wires, chain lube/links, carb filter/jets, oil filter, and spare quart cans of oil. The article even had a picture of a tourpac loaded with those items.

God I'm getting old

Old 12-03-2017, 06:34 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mjwebb
wanna' work a trade? lol...glad to hear..mine have been pretty minimal on both and completely manageable/tolerable after over 16,000 miles..love riding it more and more each time..by far my best Harley riding experience ever

Your Harley experience must really suck. Not surprised as you were one of the head cheerleaders at the beginning...remember the millions of miles of testing, years in development, more power etc. ??? My guess is that you find it acceptable for the moco to tell touring owners to take their bike in every 1K miles. Most bestest ever ha ha ha!!! I would be pissed if I owned one of these defective machines. Oh well, sis boom bah........

Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,693 Likes on 4,493 Posts

Originally Posted by confederate
Your Harley experience must really suck. Not surprised as you were one of the head cheerleaders at the beginning...remember the millions of miles of testing, years in development, more power etc. ??? My guess is that you find it acceptable for the moco to tell touring owners to take their bike in every 1K miles. Most bestest ever ha ha ha!!! I would be pissed if I owned one of these defective machines. Oh well, sis boom bah........
nice try, but yet another lame failed attempt...no looking back for me, not a fan of downgrading

Old 12-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
We’re really not assuming anything, there is conjecture about what causes the transfer problem. There are a few of us that have tried to solve the problem, but as of now we have not done so. The clutch itself is not really being considered as the cause, it has been used in CVO’s for a few years without transferring. The actuator in the ‘17 touring models is a new design and I for one think there’s a connection between it and the transfer problem.
I hear what you're saying. I never had a single issue with any of my previous HD's. Truthfully I have buyers remorse on this M8. I should have kept my '16 twinkie and not looked back.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:14 PM
tenn volunteer
Tourer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

300 miles into my new Limited, a rocker box oil leak. I lost nearly all of September with the bike at the dealership for that repair. First, a revised rocker box cover gasket. A week later, HD elected to replace the rocker box, after the gasket was a short lived repair

2700 miles since the first fluid change, Trans. Fluid is just touching the bottom of the dipstick. I pulled the derby cover and got out the turkey baster. Great !!! I talked to my HD mechanic while the cover was off. He is calling corporate and will get back to me. This problem will have to wait until April. We winter in Florida, looks like I should pick up several derby gaskets for backup.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:19 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tenn volunteer
300 miles into my new Limited, a rocker box oil leak. I lost nearly all of September with the bike at the dealership for that repair. First, a revised rocker box cover gasket. A week later, HD elected to replace the rocker box, after the gasket was a short lived repair

2700 miles since the first fluid change, Trans. Fluid is just touching the bottom of the dipstick. I pulled the derby cover and got out the turkey baster. Great !!! I talked to my HD mechanic while the cover was off. He is calling corporate and will get back to me. This problem will have to wait until April. We winter in Florida, looks like I should pick up several derby gaskets for backup.
Nah! The derby gasket (o-ring type) can be re-used hundreds of times. Lucky you. Right?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:29 PM
tenn volunteer
Tourer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh, by the way. I still love this bike. I normally trade every two or three years. My last two motorcycles; 13 CVO Ultra and 15 Limited Low have been flawless. I have very good confidence in my servicing dealership that this new Limited will work out just fine.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?