Sponsored by:

Stock headers or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:26 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stock headers or aftermarket?

Been debating if the substantial price cost of an aftermarket header system is worth it. Looking to improve not only performance on my new M8 RGS but also sound. A forum member that I'm familiar with has a nice setup with the Bassani Duals over and under headers and the DNA mufflers and the setup sound bitching nice!

However, the header along cost approx $550 not including the muffler, tuner cost etc. So right there I'm looking at 1k or more to invest and at the moment I want to invest on other goodies instead of dropping 1k or more on just the exhaust system. Curious, and silly question. If I remove my stock headers, and modified them by removing the catalytic converter, cleaning the internals and resoldering the system back up getting an aftermarket tuner such as the FP3 and DNA mufflers and aftermarket performance intake will I gain any additional extra torque & hp compared to an aftermarket header system? I'm sure I will, but I'm not sure how much? Comparing to an full aftermarket headers? Or will it be better to just get an aftermarket header after all? Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Old 05-27-2017, 06:22 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Fuel Moto has a really nice header and you use your stock heat shields so you save a bit that way. Also, Fullsac has developed a new header for the M8 which is supposed to be b*tchin. Fullsac also has an OEM replacement kit for mufflers whereby you remove the stock baffles and replace them with 2" or 2.25" cores, improving sound and performance. The beauty of Fullsac is the replacement kits is far cheaper then new mufflers and is very easy to install, with the added advantage that you get similar performance results for about half the price of new mufflers.

As for cutting out the Cat and then soldering the header back up, the results are still out on that one from what I've read. You will definitely notice less heat but sound and performance may be compromised. I'd call Steve at Fullsac and talk about their X-pipe header for the M8 and the OEM replacement kit for your mufflers if it was me. Good luck and keep us posted (pardon the pun, lol).

The following users liked this post:
chgofirefighter (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Headers and the expense- It's a good question and one I have been researching for awhile now. Headers are too expensive imo for what I've seen so far from performance. So far, being the key words... There are very few dyno sheets out there to begin with, and the few that I have seen, have incorporated other performance variables in the mix. A few guys on this board have added fuel moto's so they maybe one of them have a dyno sheet of just what the header itself added. Vance & Hines has headers, Rinehart, RCX and probably a few others, but none are advertising the actual gains to my knowledge. Fullsac was showing some big increases in tq & hp just from headers, however is apparently still working on theirs as its not f/s on their website.

I added the stage 3 kit. Got a smoking winter deal and great gains for the $$$ with mine. Stock tq 100, stage 3 w 447 cam 118, stock hp 80, mine with stage 3 is now 98.

Last edited by Bannana Boat; 05-27-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:51 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
Fuel Moto has a really nice header and you use your stock heat shields so you save a bit that way. Also, Fullsac has developed a new header for the M8 which is supposed to be b*tchin. Fullsac also has an OEM replacement kit for mufflers whereby you remove the stock baffles and replace them with 2" or 2.25" cores, improving sound and performance. The beauty of Fullsac is the replacement kits is far cheaper then new mufflers and is very easy to install, with the added advantage that you get similar performance results for about half the price of new mufflers.

As for cutting out the Cat and then soldering the header back up, the results are still out on that one from what I've read. You will definitely notice less heat but sound and performance may be compromised. I'd call Steve at Fullsac and talk about their X-pipe header for the M8 and the OEM replacement kit for your mufflers if it was me. Good luck and keep us posted (pardon the pun, lol).

Thanks, do you have a website link or contact telephone number or better yet an email to Fullsac? I am very intrigued~

Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Been debating if the substantial price cost of an aftermarket header system is worth it. Looking to improve not only performance on my new M8 RGS but also sound. A forum member that I'm familiar with has a nice setup with the Bassani Duals over and under headers and the DNA mufflers and the setup sound bitching nice!

However, the header along cost approx $550 not including the muffler, tuner cost etc. So right there I'm looking at 1k or more to invest and at the moment I want to invest on other goodies instead of dropping 1k or more on just the exhaust system. Curious, and silly question. If I remove my stock headers, and modified them by removing the catalytic converter, cleaning the internals and resoldering the system back up getting an aftermarket tuner such as the FP3 and DNA mufflers and aftermarket performance intake will I gain any additional extra torque & hp compared to an aftermarket header system? I'm sure I will, but I'm not sure how much? Comparing to an full aftermarket headers? Or will it be better to just get an aftermarket header after all? Thoughts? Thanks guys!
Great question. My 2017 RGS came with RC slip-ons, a Screaming Eagle breather and an HD Stage One tune. I bought a stock de-catted head pipe for $149 net from Ebay and had my dealer install it. Love the sound and performance. Given the fact that the header was HD, everything fit perfectly.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:14 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

According to my butt dyno there is a difference between stock & aftermarket headers. I had Street Cannons and stage 1 intake from the dealer on my Road King. Now Vance & Hines power duals and Titan 450's are on it. My lady's Road Glide Special had completely stock exhaust and intake when she picked it up and now the same set up as mine. She noticed a difference as well.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:59 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Thanks, do you have a website link or contact telephone number or better yet an email to Fullsac? I am very intrigued~
Here is the link to the main site: https://fullsac.com

Here is the recore kit link: http://fullsac.com/product/oem-hi-flow-muffler-kit/

He doesn't have the M8 X-pipe listed yet but they should be listed on his site soon.

His email is:gofaster@fullsac.com

Number is: 928-505-2912

They also offer 10% discount to forum members.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:59 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 590 Likes on 358 Posts

I just installed the Bassani 2x2 which is just like a stock decatted headpipe with bassani design that equals/direct the output more evenly. Best part is that it sounds absolutely sick with my Thunderheader slip-ons and it only cost $400(headpipe). Install was a breeeze. I'll post a video later when I get a chance. You can search my previous posts that I posted a vid of just the Thunderheader slip-ons. Loudest slip-ons I've heard for the M8 so far.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...y-touring-2017

Old 05-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_fan
I just installed the Bassani 2x2 which is just like a stock decatted headpipe with bassani design that equals/direct the output more evenly. Best part is that it sounds absolutely sick with my Thunderheader slip-ons and it only cost $400(headpipe). Install was a breeeze. I'll post a video later when I get a chance. You can search my previous posts that I posted a vid of just the Thunderheader slip-ons. Loudest slip-ons I've heard for the M8 so far.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...y-touring-2017
I would love to hear this new setup. Just a start and stand behind video would be perfect.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:02 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 590 Likes on 358 Posts

Here you go. freshly uploaded. Sorry no stand behind on this vid as the location of my contour roam2 is right above the right saddle bag. Ride from Dudley Perkins HD to my home. The vid camera records low so turn up the volume ;-)

Bassani 2x2 headpipe, Thundereader mufflers, Arlen Ness monster sucker intake and powervision tune.

The following 2 users liked this post by HD_fan:
chgofirefighter (06-01-2017), roadkinglobo (06-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Stock headers or aftermarket?