Sponsored by:

Harley losing rentals

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 PM
bikermikee
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Harley losing rentals

Bought my new RGU today and while talking to my dealer he said that HD had just canceled 108 of his bikes on order because HD is getting out of the rental business and eaglerider was taking over all bike rentals so the 108 bikes were being reallocated to them.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:38 AM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bikermikee
Bought my new RGU today and while talking to my dealer he said that HD had just canceled 108 of his bikes on order because HD is getting out of the rental business and eaglerider was taking over all bike rentals so the 108 bikes were being reallocated to them.

could that possibly be just your dealer?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think they are getting out of rentals, just changing how they manage them. HD did sign an agreement with Eaglerider back in May. Eaglerider will run the rentals, you still pick them up and drop them off at HD dealers.

Here's an article from back in May

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...508-story.html

The following users liked this post:
bikermikee (06-10-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:52 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,311 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Good old Eaglerider, rented me a Road King with warped front rotors.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:02 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I was going to rent a Harley while in Philly a month or so ago and not one dealer had one to rent. I visited a dealer and when I asked why, I was told it's a bad business model for dealers that are not in "destination" cities. That they don't rent enough bikes often enough to make the monetary loss of slightly used bike worthwhile.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:39 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

The rental business worked when bikes were hard to get, held there value. Many dealers got hurt when the M8 was introduced. They had quite a few twin cams in rental service, many with 20 to 30 thousand miles. Some are still sitting, to many low mile trades available at bargain prices to make the rentals worth buying.

Rentals have to much downside potential to make the investment worth while. In my opinion, Harley needs to make major upgrades all at once vs upgrading one major component at a time. Look at how Yamaha introduced there new touring bike, that is how Harley should have done the Rushmore upgrade. It should have included the new M8 and a new frame along with all the other advances. Watch for a new touring frame in 18 or 19. When that happens all previous models will drop in value big time.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:28 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Harley is not losing rentals. The are giving control over to someone else that can better supply rentals in more areas. The system should improve making more rentals available at more dealerships. It should also eliminate issue that have come up with arriving and not getting the bike you wanted . The current system was not working except in some areas. T

Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I'm amazed HD ( or any other bike maker) sees any value in renting bikes at this point. Seems like more downside than its worth in this day and age.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:42 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Watch for a new touring frame in 18 or 19. When that happens all previous models will drop in value big time.
B.S. Just like when the M8 hit the market all twin cams were going to take a huge hit in value. Well that didn't happen and used values of previous year bikes hasn't changed much.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:47 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
B.S. Just like when the M8 hit the market all twin cams were going to take a huge hit in value. Well that didn't happen and used values of previous year bikes hasn't changed much.
Don't know how you figured? My personal experience says otherwise. The actual sale prices for twin cam touring bikes dropped significantly when the M8 was introduced. Anytime Harley upgrades a major component the previous model gets hurt.

Quick Reply: Harley losing rentals