Sponsored by:

Heat issue for passenger

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM
MovedtoSyracuse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat issue for passenger

Took the wife for a ride yesterday for the first time on my 2017 CVO street glide. She complained that the heat on her right foot was 25X worse than the 2008 Ultra I had previously. Surprise given the exhaust ports are water cooled coupled with oil cooling. The right floorboard isn't even close to the header pipes. I can only assume that 6 inches below her foot is a catalytic converter which is producing the heat. Anyone heard this complaint from a passenger? Opening the vents on the lower fairings helped a lot, but it seems to me the only viable solution is aftermarket pipes. Would love to hear some comments.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

think you're correct about the cat proximity to her foot..there's a few things you could do..buy the cool flow fan and mid frame deflectors but that isn't pinpointing the ankle area heat..put the SE High flow exhaust system on which has the cats relocated in the mufflers further back behind her foot..or go with catless headpipes, but after you purchase and tune all that and kick your warranty to the curb the expensive SE exhaust might not sound so bad especially if it mitigates or eliminates the problem, but doubt it'll be 26 X's better than your 08..:-)

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:01 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I know it may not look ideal but has anyone tried wrapping the cat area with thermal exhaust wrap? Its meant to contain the heat.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/m...cing-pipe-wrap

Last edited by stixvrad; 06-19-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:09 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I know it may not look ideal but has anyone tried wrapping the cat area with thermal exhaust wrap? Its meant to contain the heat.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/m...cing-pipe-wrap
interesting thought..just thinking out loud and no idea if any of this has any merit..but if it 'contains' the heat could that increase EGT's, tuning, discoloring the pipe..just wondering if that might introduce some other undesirable effects or not..dunno'

Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
interesting thought..just thinking out loud and no idea if any of this has any merit..but if it 'contains' the heat could that increase EGT's, tuning, discoloring the pipe..just wondering if that might introduce some other undesirable effects or not..dunno'
I've used it in the past for sportbike headers. Works well at keeping the heat from melting fairing parts when they are close. As for discoloration, well, if you keep it wrapped, I guess whats the difference if the factory cover gets discolored. Its covered by the wrapping. When you wrap it correctly it doesn't look all the bad too.As for tuning, it shouldn't have any effect on that. If anything it should help make the cat perform better by keeping it as hot as possible.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I have heard the MOCO has slip-ons with the cat for catless headers to move the heat back.

Beary

Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Granted it cost me my warranty, but I went with a cat-less head-pipe and Rinehart 4.5's. Runs better, sounds awesome and no more heat.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Fuel moto says their catless pipe or decatted stock pipe will reduce heat by 40-50% on that side. I didn't notice a heat problem on mine anyway so I can't confirm what they said.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:30 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Fuel moto says their catless pipe or decatted stock pipe will reduce heat by 40-50% on that side. I didn't notice a heat problem on mine anyway so I can't confirm what they said.
It works.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
It works.
I didn't notice a heat problem on mine but losing the cat changed the tone quite a bit, still deciding if I like it

Quick Reply: Heat issue for passenger