Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on these mods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

All good points. I would lean towards trying to save warranty. To do so, have Harley install the SE stage II kit, and full headers w/o cat. (not the SE headers w/cat in mufflers)
You need to ask them about headers though, and follow their lead. If they sell them and install them for you then they need to support it and honor the warranty. That's what the manager at my local shop said. Add an SE heavy breather intake, SE tuner, and call it a day.. The SE tuner is key if you're going to keep warranty. You will be happy with the results and still maintain warranty. I have that same setup and it keeps Harley happy. It's a win win. Stage II is more than enough for these bikes. Great sound and plenty of power. No heat once you lose the cat. Spent days in traffic in 90+ weather and no issues at all. Adding the fan assisted oil cooler helps too!
all cheap mods that will improve quality of life.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

One local HD shop in my area will install anything you ask them to, however, they have a form that you must sign stating that you fully understand your warranty is voided if its not approved parts. Not sure how many dealers are doing this but I would avoid those guys at all cost and never sign anything. I was going to have them install my 21 front and 18 inch rear wheels and they would not do so it until I signed the form agreeing that my warranty would be voided. The reason given was "HD does not offer a 21 inch wheel on a street glide therefore full warranty would be voided" Thanks but no thanks!!! Non EPA tuner or other engine mods I accept all responsibility if warranty is gone but a front wheel???? Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

that sucks.. you do need to shop around for a good dealer. Till recently I was the type that did all of the work myself. That changed with the new m8. I now will only get parts from them, and have them install it.. yes, it costs a bit more but in the end I have their support should I need it. MOCO only knows what is reported to them. My local shop has done the 21" wheel, V&H headers, ape bars, and aftermarket lights. Bike is nowhere close to the stock configuration. I've had issues come up from time to time (nothing major) and they never hesitated. For these bikes, the main concern is engine reliability because of its new design... Those are the warranty repairs you want to protect and right now the only way to do that is to use their tuner. They don't care what exhaust, handlebars, or wheels you've installed.. It's not an EPA thing, it's who covers the cost of an engine repair. Use their parts for those things and you'll be fine..

Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2Be1
Something I've learned about this warranty fiasco, ask the dealer you bought the bike from if they install the items you want will they cover you on the warranty. MoCo won't cover it if there is a "footprint" and yes you can flash back to stock but the ECM does have memory and will be readable, IF, MoCo comes to inspect the claim.
Thats all well and fine if someone never leaves town. Good luck on a road trip trying to get another dealer to do warranty work if you break down.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Thats all well and fine if someone never leaves town. Good luck on a road trip trying to get another dealer to do warranty work if you break down.
It's real simple, ANY non EPA or ARB approved part on ANY 2017 (not just M8)and Moco can and will void the powertrain warranty. That means slip-ons, Catless header, Tuner, Cam, Air Cleaner ect. Now the dealers can help if they want too but if caught Moco will make them pay it. Once the EPA/ARB approved parts start coming out, who knows what Moco will do then, but remember it is a limited warranty and any fight over it will be between you and the Moco.

If you want warranty you have only 60 days from delivery to get things installed and covered under the factory warranty, as long as it's installed at the dealership. After 60 days from delivery, even if its HD parts they are NOT covered under the 2 year factory warranty!

The following 4 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Eccool (06-23-2017), Max Headflow (06-21-2017), psyshack (06-21-2017), rigidthumper (06-27-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:38 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
It's real simple, ANY non EPA or ARB approved part on ANY 2017 (not just M8)and Moco can and will void the powertrain warranty. That means slip-ons, Catless header, Tuner, Cam, Air Cleaner ect. Now the dealers can help if they want too but if caught Moco will make them pay it. Once the EPA/ARB approved parts start coming out, who knows what Moco will do then, but remember it is a limited warranty and any fight over it will be between you and the Moco.

If you want warranty you have only 60 days from delivery to get things installed and covered under the factory warranty, as long as it's installed at the dealership. After 60 days from delivery, even if its HD parts they are NOT covered under the 2 year factory warranty!
Steve is telling the truth! I've been there. When the Harley man showed up to void my warranty he honestly did not want to meet me, shake my hand or tell me his name and there was no business card. All he shared with me is call me Dano. Dano the dick head was how our meeting ended. And I'm grateful I left the Glock 29 locked up in the truck. I'd hate to be in jail over him and the MoCo.

I asked my dealer where I could rent a trailer. Lets inventory the parts and I will pack it all up and get my bike out of your shop. I can store it until S&S makes a crate motor. But I will not pay for parts that HD ****ed up to start with. The dealer owner asked me to leave it with him and he would make it right. The FP3 did not fubar the oil pump and the junk over bore the MoCo put in the jugs. To Dano the dick heads credit he did all but admit it was HD's fault. No tuner, new motor. I wanted a new bike after the **** heads screwed around with it 7 weeks.

Money was not a issue it was how the tards in Milwaukee and Dano the dick head handled it. Told Dano he and his boss's were Obummer EPA dick suckers. If money was a issue I wouldn't have left the HD dealer and went and paid cash for a 2017 FJR1300ES. If that dealer had been a Hammer dealer I would of bought it from him. I just did not want a Suzuki or Honda.

Get back with me when the warranty hits the can. Share your emotions, ideas, and forward thought processes. If you buy a new HD and mod it and not be under the HD shingle it will screw your head and wallet right up if your dealer does not have your back....

Old 06-22-2017, 05:33 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

I'm not sure how someone can be so angry when it's your own fault your warranty was voided. Did you not read the warranty info that came with the bike's paperwork? Had you not read the numerous posts here about this exact topic? If you feel HD overstepped their bounds, sue them. It's almost like your mad because you got caught.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
Eccool (06-23-2017), Max Headflow (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM
ral819
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is definitely educational. I bought the extended warranty for out to 5 years.
(I can cash it in correct ?) The source I spoke with said as long as this upgrade wasn't reported to MOCO... I guess that means they would stand by it. But like you all are stating, out on the road, etc ? The SEPST just doesn't stand up to the TTS. Is it good enough of a tuner is my question ? That way the MOCO stays happy. Warranty is good. Any problems I'm covered... This doesn't seem to be about the exhaust, mainly Cam and Tuner, Correct ???

Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by ral819
This is definitely educational. I bought the extended warranty for out to 5 years.
(I can cash it in correct ?) The source I spoke with said as long as this upgrade wasn't reported to MOCO... I guess that means they would stand by it. But like you all are stating, out on the road, etc ? The SEPST just doesn't stand up to the TTS. Is it good enough of a tuner is my question ? That way the MOCO stays happy. Warranty is good. Any problems I'm covered... This doesn't seem to be about the exhaust, mainly Cam and Tuner, Correct ???
WRONG, this is about ANY non EPA or ARB approved part on a 2017 HD. Problem is I do not know if the extended warranty will even cover the HD parts when added to the 2017's. I do know that if added after 60 days from delivery, HD will not cover them, so I would guess the extended plan will not as well.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 PM
blackeg84
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after posting and following on this thread I chose to do something I never thought I would do and that is pick buy the SE tuner lol... This warranty talk specially on how there is memory now in the ecm for the 2107's had to me too worried. So I will play there game for 2 years at least.

Quick Reply: Advice on these mods...