Sponsored by:

Wood WM8-222 cam initial review

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Wood WM8-222 cam initial review

So I got my bike back after having the stage 2 upgrade performed at my local mechanic. I opted to go with a custom map from Fuel Moto instead of paying for a dyno tune. I did about 80 miles and my initial impressions are a little mixed. The bike is SLUGGISH below 2500 RPM. In order to get out of 1st gear from a dead stop, you really have to rev the throttle before letting the clutch out and even then the bike is slow. Stock was definitely much smoother and quicker. The good news is, once you get over 2500 the bike pulls hard and has plenty of power. Also, the bike sounds a lot more aggressive with the new cam.

150 miles after running autotune and updating the map and the bike is still sluggish as hell below 2500 rpm. I even managed to stall the bike coming out of my driveway and I can't think of the last time I have stalled a motorcycle...it's been years at least.

So far, the improved power above 2500 rpm does not justify the crappy performance below. From a dead stop, I have to CREEP through an intersection before I have the power to really take off, so for me that is a big safety concern because I want to have the option to be able to zip out of a tight spot if some idiot cager is barreling towards me.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:53 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Seems most cams are performing worse than stock below 3000 rpm

Old 06-24-2017, 06:01 PM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davewear
Seems most cams are performing worse than stock below 3000 rpm
I've heard that too, but my particular bikes seems worse than expected. Pulling out from a stop makes it feel like I'm starting in 2nd gear.

The following users liked this post:
MTBIG G (06-29-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Mine pulls like a train from opening the throttle at a stand still. SE447 cam, Bassani header, SE heavy breather, 4 inch Rineharts and a full dyno tune. (97 HP 109 ft/lbs TQ)

It's a massive improvement right across the rev range from stock so I'd suggest a good dyno tune or vary your setup. Good luck.

CageyKG (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Most performance cams add valve open overlap, this causes some loss of dynamic compression, resulting in the low rpm power loss.
The way to get around this is by either bumping up the compression , or increasing displacement to compensate.
For example; the SE stage 3 & 4 kits, increase compression to 11:1 from 10:1 stock.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Call Fuel Moto. May need to tweak timing and VE tables some to get that low end better. But, looking at the dyno charts, that cam seems to be lower than the stock cam, but then pulls like mad.

CageyKG (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
Call Fuel Moto. May need to tweak timing and VE tables some to get that low end better. But, looking at the dyno charts, that cam seems to be lower than the stock cam, but then pulls like mad.
Yeah, I am definitely calling Fuel Moto. The map I'm using is theirs and I'm sure Jamie will be able to figure it out. I knew the numbers were a little lower than stock, but the difference is small enough that a "butt dyno" shouldn't feel it. The issue I'm having is more of a performance issue (that's what she said) not a power issue. I shouldn't feel like I'm in 2nd gear when I'm trying to move from a stop.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:15 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Unfortunately folks are under the impression a canned map (calibration made for a different bike) is the way to eliminated a proper recalibration of YOUR bike and its production variables.
Variable such as injector output (+/- 10%), exhaust airflow (every pipe design flows differently), along with port flow and cam timing variances, produces different A/F requirements.
Taking the bike to a competent tuner will correct all variances to precise A/F running.
FWIW, you are certainly not the first to believe the advertising hype that a canned nap will make your bike run perfectly.
Fuel Moto can only produce calibrations for the bike they are testing at that point.
IMO, canned maps are good enough to get to the the bike to the tuner for fueling recalibration (corrections) as well as maximizing timing advance for best performance and mileage.
Sorry you feel a negative to proper recalibration (dyno tune). Your bike will never run to its potential until it's tuned.
JME, Bob

Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Unfortunately folks are under the impression a canned map (calibration made for a different bike) is the way to eliminated a proper recalibration of YOUR bike and its production variables.
Variable such as injector output (+/- 10%), exhaust airflow (every pipe design flows differently), along with port flow and cam timing variances, produces different A/F requirements.
Taking the bike to a competent tuner will correct all variances to precise A/F running.
FWIW, you are certainly not the first to believe the advertising hype that a canned nap will make your bike run perfectly.
Fuel Moto can only produce calibrations for the bike they are testing at that point.
IMO, canned maps are good enough to get to the the bike to the tuner for fueling recalibration (corrections) as well as maximizing timing advance for best performance and mileage.
Sorry you feel a negative to proper recalibration (dyno tune). Your bike will never run to its potential until it's tuned.
JME, Bob
I agree with you - nothing replaces a good dyno tune. I was just trying to avoid it though and save myself the $300. When I did my Stage 1, Jamie at Fuel Moto gave me a perfect map for it and it ran great, so I was hoping his Stage 2 map would be just as good. As I discovered though, the more you change, the more variables there are and even though I am using the same exact set-up as their map is, you are correct that there is still a difference.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
JME, Bob
well my most recent experience can 100% vouch for all this..I didn't think my bike could run any better than after the SE Stage 1, then had it dyno tuned (with the SEPST) by a competent tuner..everything about it ran better..not just perception either..highly recommend getting an experienced tuner to complete the job properly

Quick Reply: Wood WM8-222 cam initial review