Sponsored by:

Oil Level weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
Could be sumping or could be a bad main seal, next time it's low check your primary and see if it's in there
You beat me too it. Sounds like sumping to me as well.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
It really sounds like it's overfilled. When COLD it should NOT read full on dipstick - it should only be halfway between add and full.

Proper procedure is to check it at ambient temperature and make sure that the level is halfway between 'add' and 'full'. Then, get the bike to operating temp, which is around 10 minutes of riding, then let the bike idle on the jiffy stand for 1-2 minutes. Shut it off, check it.

I find that idling on the jiffy stand allows the oil to drain down into the pan after riding. My level is different if I park the bike and immediately check vs. idling on stand for a couple minutes then checking.
Pretty much what I do. Its probably over filled now. The main point is a quart disappeared and was sitting in the crankcase apparently. I'll find out more during the week im sure.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:19 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Well? what was the problem?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:39 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

I've always checked my oil when the bike is cold & usually it's in the middle but after reading some of these posts decided to check it hot, let it idle for a couple of mins then checked & it's at the bottom of the hatched markings, does that mean I need to add some ?? Mebe I'm just getting paranoid now

Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by paullavery
I've always checked my oil when the bike is cold & usually it's in the middle but after reading some of these posts decided to check it hot, let it idle for a couple of mins then checked & it's at the bottom of the hatched markings, does that mean I need to add some ?? Mebe I'm just getting paranoid now
youre not paranoid, you just own a harley........

The following users liked this post:
paullavery (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I will check mine cold every once in a while cold when I check the tranny but if I want an accurate reading I let it idle for a few minutes after a long ride and then check it. My M8 eats way more oil than any twin cam that I have owned.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

hot check is the reliable method..wife's bone stock Freewheeler is thirsty..my RK after the SE Stage 1 and dyno tune has stabilized its consumption pretty well..drinking in moderation is a good thing!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 AM
RG RON
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe off topic, but wife's 2012 tri had the oil changed at an indy. Was up to the full mark, cold and says that on the dipstick if level. Ride it and noticed oil residue on r/s fender. I drained out to half on dipstick and good to go, no more oil residue. I change oil myself days ago and put in 3.5 quarts and its on the full mark, so again I drain some to half stick. I look in the owners manual to verify first before I did the first drain some time ago. I'm totally confused by this as well. Took my street bob for the first service about 2 months ago and noticed when cold its full on the dipstick, but according to the manual it's not supposed to be, only when hot. Called dealer who did service and was told they all take 4. I have kept an eye on the residue, so far none, but figured its under warranty and I made a call to dealer and was told different, so let HD eat it if something should come up. A friend of mine who is a long time HD guy told me that at half stick it takes a quarts to the full line, I beg to differ, so now I'm wondering if the tri is sumping ?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
youre not paranoid, you just own a harley........
Finally got some news on this. The dealer spent all week riding around in the heat to see if they can reproduce my problem. I went to pick it up because they didnt have enough time to put more miles on which is understandable. Ill rode it and monitor. As I went to the bay, the mechanic said give me a few more minutes to check something. He had just got back from a ride on it. He pulled off the primary cover and the oil over flowed out. He said, I think I found your missing oil problem.

They did a oil change on Saturday to make sure the levels were correct and said I had only 3.5 quarts in there. Now, before I rode the 20 miles to drop it off, it was over full.

Have an HD reference number, got a loaner (RG Ultra) and now have to wait for HD to tell the shop how to fix this so called impossible problem.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerbar
Finally got some news on this. The dealer spent all week riding around in the heat to see if they can reproduce my problem. I went to pick it up because they didnt have enough time to put more miles on which is understandable. Ill rode it and monitor. As I went to the bay, the mechanic said give me a few more minutes to check something. He had just got back from a ride on it. He pulled off the primary cover and the oil over flowed out. He said, I think I found your missing oil problem.

They did a oil change on Saturday to make sure the levels were correct and said I had only 3.5 quarts in there. Now, before I rode the 20 miles to drop it off, it was over full.

Have an HD reference number, got a loaner (RG Ultra) and now have to wait for HD to tell the shop how to fix this so called impossible problem.
Bummer.

Quick Reply: Oil Level weirdness