Sponsored by:

Oil Level weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Oil Level weirdness

I noticed this on my M8 Road King. I check my oil all the time, just because. The first 1000 miles, the levels never changed. I had the dealer do the first service.

The next 1000 miles the level seemed fine but then I noticed after a 300 mile ride in 95 degrees all of a sudden I was down a quart. Oil was still clean with slight discoloration. I check the AC and it was dry. So I call the dealer and ask if they have seen this before, they said if its really hot out it will burn more oil. Of course, but a quart? Something didn't seem right. So I go out on another 200 mile ride the following weekend and noticed after adding the quart, I'm down a third again. I changed to a K&N AC at this time and noticed a little oil on the intake, but the stock AC itself was dry. So, Im saying ok, when I added the quart maybe I over filled it a little.

Another weekend of riding this time around town, maybe 120 miles all weekend and now Im down about a half a quart.

This week out of boredom from the rain, I check my oil. It FULL and BLACK. It was a half low about an hour after riding. A few days sitting and its full. I've checked it cold plenty of times and havent seen this before.

am I

Old 07-14-2017, 10:09 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Something is majorly wrong if your engine is eating that much oil in that little mileage.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Something is majorly wrong if your engine is eating that much oil in that little mileage.
Thats just it, all of a sudden the oil is full again, it didnt eat it, its just not circulating and draining.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:35 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerbar
Thats just it, all of a sudden the oil is full again, it didnt eat it, its just not circulating and draining.
'sumping' sounds terribly wrong here..jk, not really even sure exactly what sumping is..probably a stupid question..but are you checking it exactly the same way Hot each time, immediately upon shutdown and don't worry about the bubbles/frothing. it gets lower even after waiting just a few minutes..forget about relying on Cold check, other than to make sure there is oil..check it Hot immediately a few more times times and see if there's consistency..short of that it's time to report to dealership imo

Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Could be sumping or could be a bad main seal, next time it's low check your primary and see if it's in there

Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser

Just spoke with the dealer and they think the oil may be sitting in the crankcase. Dropping it off tomorrow.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Do you have stage 3 or 4?

Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Do you have stage 3 or 4?
No, just some slipons.

The following users liked this post:
Gasguzlr (08-02-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Just spoke with the dealer and they think the oil may be sitting in the crankcase. Dropping it off tomorrow.
That's what is referred to as sumping. Hope they get you fixed

Old 07-14-2017, 11:56 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I noticed this on my M8 Road King. I check my oil all the time, just because. The first 1000 miles, the levels never changed. I had the dealer do the first service.

The next 1000 miles the level seemed fine but then I noticed after a 300 mile ride in 95 degrees all of a sudden I was down a quart. Oil was still clean with slight discoloration. I check the AC and it was dry. So I call the dealer and ask if they have seen this before, they said if its really hot out it will burn more oil. Of course, but a quart? Something didn't seem right. So I go out on another 200 mile ride the following weekend and noticed after adding the quart, I'm down a third again. I changed to a K&N AC at this time and noticed a little oil on the intake, but the stock AC itself was dry. So, Im saying ok, when I added the quart maybe I over filled it a little.

Another weekend of riding this time around town, maybe 120 miles all weekend and now Im down about a half a quart.

This week out of boredom from the rain, I check my oil. It FULL and BLACK. It was a half low about an hour after riding. A few days sitting and its full. I've checked it cold plenty of times and havent seen this before.

am I
It really sounds like it's overfilled. When COLD it should NOT read full on dipstick - it should only be halfway between add and full.

Proper procedure is to check it at ambient temperature and make sure that the level is halfway between 'add' and 'full'. Then, get the bike to operating temp, which is around 10 minutes of riding, then let the bike idle on the jiffy stand for 1-2 minutes. Shut it off, check it.

I find that idling on the jiffy stand allows the oil to drain down into the pan after riding. My level is different if I park the bike and immediately check vs. idling on stand for a couple minutes then checking.

Quick Reply: Oil Level weirdness