Sponsored by:

Oil Level weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 PM
BLKDLX
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerbar
Finally got some news on this. The dealer spent all week riding around in the heat to see if they can reproduce my problem. I went to pick it up because they didnt have enough time to put more miles on which is understandable. Ill rode it and monitor. As I went to the bay, the mechanic said give me a few more minutes to check something. He had just got back from a ride on it. He pulled off the primary cover and the oil over flowed out. He said, I think I found your missing oil problem.

They did a oil change on Saturday to make sure the levels were correct and said I had only 3.5 quarts in there. Now, before I rode the 20 miles to drop it off, it was over full.

Have an HD reference number, got a loaner (RG Ultra) and now have to wait for HD to tell the shop how to fix this so called impossible problem.
that sucks, welcome to the growing club. I'm so glad I held off on buying one of these M8 motors.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Hmm... Oil into the primary is different than the seemingly increasing number of transmission to primary issues... This is a new one.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:19 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

I've just had to add 1 quart to get the levels good when checking level when hot, upto the 1K service i didn't have to add anything & since the oil change its used a quart in 1300 miles, not sure if that is normal ??

Old 07-23-2017, 10:46 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by paullavery
I've just had to add 1 quart to get the levels good when checking level when hot, upto the 1K service i didn't have to add anything & since the oil change its used a quart in 1300 miles, not sure if that is normal ??
yikes! Harley may say that falls within 'normal' but nothing I've ever experienced..wife's Freewheeler is pretty thirsty tho, not quite that bad

The following users liked this post:
paullavery (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 AM
paullavery
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yikes! Harley may say that falls within 'normal' but nothing I've ever experienced..wife's Freewheeler is pretty thirsty tho, not quite that bad
I know, this is my 6th harley over the years & never had oil consumption like it ! I'll be even more paranoid now, i get on very well with the supplying dealership so will be having a word next time I'm in there.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:09 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I know, this is my 6th harley over the years & never had oil consumption like it ! I'll be even more paranoid now, i get on very well with the supplying dealership so will be having a word next time I'm in there.
My SGS eats more oil than previous ones did but yours sounds worse than mine. I'm just over 14K miles now and I've been pretty consistently having to add 1 qt every 4,000 miles.

It bothers me, but at least its consistent

paullavery (07-23-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Before you add more oil because tthe dipstick is low, ask your dealer to pull the Crank Position Sensor under the crankcase. If more than 3 oz flows out, you have a serious engine issue. Read SB 1450. I believe it applies to more than just M8 engines with stage 3 or 4 kits.

paullavery (07-24-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

This is exactly how mine started and exactly the mileage. Pull off the primary cover and check your level in there, check your transmission as well. From what I was told the seals are bad and have been redesigned a few times already.

I'll have more information hopefully this week I hope, going on week 3.

paullavery (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:06 PM
paullavery
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beerbar
This is exactly how mine started and exactly the mileage. Pull off the primary cover and check your level in there, check your transmission as well. From what I was told the seals are bad and have been redesigned a few times already.

I'll have more information hopefully this week I hope, going on week 3.
Primary & transmission levels are good, I spoke to the service manager the other day about this & he agreed with me that the consumption was excessive, asked me to run it another 500 miles & check level & if its still consuming at this rate to bring it in for them to investigate further. So far I've only managed a couple of hundred miles & its sitting at 1 square below the F mark.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Primary & transmission levels are good, I spoke to the service manager the other day about this & he agreed with me that the consumption was excessive, asked me to run it another 500 miles & check level & if its still consuming at this rate to bring it in for them to investigate further. So far I've only managed a couple of hundred miles & its sitting at 1 square below the F mark.
After adding the quart? seems very similar, after I added the quart it stayed steady. If you start it cold and let it idle for 5 - 10 minutes whats the dip stick say then? This is when I knew I had a problem, all of a sudden I had to much oil. My primary would also get hot and it would be hard to shift gears, neutral would be very hard to find. The tech said probably because there was way to much oil in the primary from the leak.

paullavery (08-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil Level weirdness