Sponsored by:

Rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Zoom1077
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rattling noise

Recently street glide special developed a rattling noise on starting that disappears after about 30 seconds. Sounds like a heat shield is loose but checked and all are tight. Completely disappears after a few seconds. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm trying to avoid taking to dealer as I have slip ons and don't want to switch back unless I have to. Slip on is not the problem as I started to hear the noise prior to changing pipes. Just a slight rattle but noticeable. Any ideas??

Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 PM
alburton
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that the support clamp on the crossover pipe under the bike can loosen up. That MAY be the reason for the rattle.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

The crossover pipe clamp on mine is a loose fit on the pipe. Easy to get to, 1/2" socket. I just wedged a flat washer in to make it tight. Rattle gone.
Still wondering about why some rattle and some don't.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Zoom1077
Advanced
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Just for clarification both of you are referring to putting a washer between the hanger and pipe it supports .
this is the hanger that supports the crossover pipe located under center of the bike. Your reply sounds like my problem as I've tightened everything else in the system. Thanks again I'll try

Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 AM
alburton
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard about the loose clamp from a service advisor at a HD dealership. His recommendation was to remove the clamp and put high temp silicone between the pipe and the clamp and re-install.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zoom1077
Thanks for the reply. Just for clarification both of you are referring to putting a washer between the hanger and pipe it supports .
this is the hanger that supports the crossover pipe located under center of the bike. Your reply sounds like my problem as I've tightened everything else in the system. Thanks again I'll try
Yep. The first one fell out, after I was sure that fixed the problem. The second one I drove in with a hammer and a pin punch with the bracket tight, lol. Why? Don't know, but I know that I won't deal with rattles.
Quick tip- if you can grab the left slip on tip and move it up and down, the crossover clamp is loose.

Last edited by Michaelpost; 07-22-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by alburton
I heard about the loose clamp from a service advisor at a HD dealership. His recommendation was to remove the clamp and put high temp silicone between the pipe and the clamp and re-install.
I thought about that route but I think eventually the vibration would wear away the silicone and it would be metal on metal again. We need rubber like autos use in the exhaust hangers. The pipes are rubber mounted at the back of the mufflers, there's no need for rubber on the crossover.
Plus, in my admittedly short time as a Harley owner, I think their "service advisors" are highly lacking in mechanical aptitude. I've already been told some dum-*** things in two service visits.

Last edited by Michaelpost; 07-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:09 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Are you sure it's not a lifter that has bled down? Granted mine is a 2016, and not an M8, but I had a similar issue (rattling noise going away after 30 seconds or so) and the dealer found frosted lifters. They were replaced under warranty. No rattling now.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Zoom1077
Advanced
Default Lifter

Originally Posted by PeteF
Are you sure it's not a lifter that has bled down? Granted mine is a 2016, and not an M8, but I had a similar issue (rattling noise going away after 30 seconds or so) and the dealer found frosted lifters. They were replaced under warranty. No rattling now.
don't think so but anything is possible. Don't happen every time and seems to be coming more from the pipes than motor. I'll monitor. I did drop a washer in and tightened the hanger. Sound stopped for now. Thanks for the info all you may have solved the issue.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:17 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I have taken a center punch to those hangers in the past, made a nice little raised dimple, tightens up nicely.

The following 2 users liked this post by sixguns:
Michaelpost (07-23-2017), RoadRunner13 (10-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Rattling noise