Sponsored by:

2018 models at sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I believe the earliest we will see a sneak peak of the 2018 lineup will be sometime after midnight on the 24th of Aug, 2017. Watch the MOCO website for pictures and propaganda. My local dealer has promised to have some in the showroom on the 26 of August. Remember what Gust said: "We will see".

They sure did do this last year. there was a big facebook live or youtube live thing they did to introduce the new models last year. damn social media. lol

Old 08-09-2017, 01:08 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,324 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
If you have a chance, test ride the new 18 Yamaha Venture. Would love hearing from someone that rode one. They are offering test ride at Sturgis.
I want someone to give that new K1600B from BMW a try... not sure I want that much power and its not a twin but its starting to look better each time I see it; I have never been a fan of the K1600 series but...

Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,671 Likes on 5,196 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
I want someone to give that new K1600B from BMW a try... not sure I want that much power and its not a twin but its starting to look better each time I see it; I have never been a fan of the K1600 series but...
One reason I do not have a K1600 BMW or the 1200 , they suck for two up and I like having my wife with me. They are an amazing machine and the HD dealer I go to also sells BMW.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
ok it may have been at the dealer meeting last year. I know about a week after they were introduced, they were in the dealers hands last year. I could have sworn they showed new models at Sturgis in the past. could be wrong however.
You're right. Harley did, in the past, preview/introduce new models at the Sturgis Rally. They used to set up at Rushmore Plaza in Rapid City with new bikes on display & had new models up in Sturgis at the demo rides. They also had displays of all the new P&A stuff at Rushmore Plaza & a huge corporate store selling clothing. All indoors in air conditioning, with a huge hospitality suite. Show opened to HOG members only the first afternoon/evening, then open to the general public the next day.

All that ended about the time big investors took over/moved the Rapid City H-D dealership to Black Hills Harley at their new complex at I-90 exit 55, moved there from Omaha Street location. The old dealership store now sells spas/hot tubs.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
If you have a chance, test ride the new 18 Yamaha Venture. Would love hearing from someone that rode one. They are offering test ride at Sturgis.
I gave it a hard look but didn't sign up for test ride; sign up early AM to get a ride by late PM just wasn't working for me. They said they have 8 of the TransContinental Touring models at Sturgis. Two on display, six in the demo fleet, but it didn't appear all six were available for demo rides when I was there.

The radio/nav system was my prime focus since the demo timing was a no go for me. Controls for that thing seemed pretty confusing with controls all over the place (handlebar thumb controls, tank mounted switches, some menus requiring screen touch for access, etc). Could just be reps didn't know the system well enough to demo its' capabilities? Those reps were claiming the nav they're using is from Garmin? IDK if that's really the case; I heard that from H-D dealer reps about the 6.5GT system too.

The one feature that seemed to be very positive is the electric parking system. Worked well both forward & reverse.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Grof
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just wondering how HD keep new bikes so secret. Is it impossible for someone who works there on assembly line to snap picture and share with friends on fb etc.... security must be hella tight....
just trying to figure out this crap

Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Grof
Just wondering how HD keep new bikes so secret. Is it impossible for someone who works there on assembly line to snap picture and share with friends on fb etc.... security must be hella tight....
Maybe they do a "body cavity search" before and after they punch in and out. If so, they must buy rubber gloves by the pallet.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I gave it a hard look but didn't sign up for test ride; sign up early AM to get a ride by late PM just wasn't working for me. They said they have 8 of the TransContinental Touring models at Sturgis. Two on display, six in the demo fleet, but it didn't appear all six were available for demo rides when I was there.

The radio/nav system was my prime focus since the demo timing was a no go for me. Controls for that thing seemed pretty confusing with controls all over the place (handlebar thumb controls, tank mounted switches, some menus requiring screen touch for access, etc). Could just be reps didn't know the system well enough to demo its' capabilities? Those reps were claiming the nav they're using is from Garmin? IDK if that's really the case; I heard that from H-D dealer reps about the 6.5GT system too.

The one feature that seemed to be very positive is the electric parking system. Worked well both forward & reverse.
Thanks for checking out, looking forward to hearing from a test rider. Especially a Harley owner.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,864 Likes on 18,598 Posts

deleted

Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,864 Likes on 18,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Grof
They must be good at it ... When my son works at the GM Proving Grounds ( he's a pipe fitter ) in Milford they "secure" his phone with some kind of thing on the camera lens

Quick Reply: 2018 models at sturgis?