Sponsored by:

Milwaukee 8 recall experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:35 PM
jdreynss
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Milwaukee 8 recall experience

So like most of you in here, I have a new bike. A superior blue 2017 street glide.

A short time after Harley issued the recall for the oil lines, I took my bike in to the dealer that I bought it from to perform the recall. At this splint I probably had 1500 miles on the bike.

They checked the clamps, and said everything was good to go.

Now my bike has 4500 miles, and upon returning from a ride the other day, I saw oil spots on the garage floor. Looking at the bottom of the bike, the underside was covered in oil.

Called my dealer, and they could not get me in till Friday. Called another local dealer, and was told that they get warranty issues dealt with asap. So I had my bike trailered to this other dealer. Just got a call from the service manager.

The oil line clamps had creased the oil lines, and eventually started leaking. He said it's impossible to tell if my dealer made a mistake, or if it was something that could not be seen at the time.

So I'm without my bike for a bit.

Just wanted to pass this along to everyone..... just because they said your oil line clamps are good.... doesn't necessarily mean they are.

Ride safe everyone

The following users liked this post:
Suidae (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

My oil clamps checked out good as well but dealer still replaced them, said they were told by HD to replace clamps not just inspect. My bike was pissing oil from the clamp area at my 1k service, they were replaced then, October 2016, long before a recall. Put 6,500 miles after that with no problems then went back when recall came out and they replaced again at 7,500 miles.
​​That was my experience

Old 08-15-2017, 05:57 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

I had a leak with the upper right spring style clamp when new which they replaced that and the hose. Then I got the fan assist oil cooler and they only replaced the two lower ones with worm drive. Then got the recall and they said the lone crimp style clamp needed 'recrimping'. After that i cinched a nylon zip tie on the end as a back up. A year and over 12k miles and no leak since the first incident when new

The following users liked this post:
PDB17UltraRG (08-17-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 PM
I forgot my username
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No leak but was told about the recall last week when I bought pipes, ( Magna Flow...which are badass btw).... they replaced clamp and no issues.... before or after

Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

In a nut shell sounds like your dealer half assed there job on the recall. I would be taking my bike to dealer B in your case from now on if they fix your issue and your happy with them. Even if it is a few extra miles. Folks including me seem to forget sometimes that all dealer service departments arent equal. Just part of it. Mine was fixed before i bought it. I did take a look at there work and you can tell it was replaced but no issues yet.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

I have read the recall. It doesn't call for replacement of the clamps at all; there is nothing wrong with them. The issue is that some of them weren't crimped from the factory. If they spot one that hasn't been crimped, they simply crimp it if there isn't any leakage present. My tech said he's seen only one out of hundreds that he's done. Could be that the guy that had the leak got his over-crimped.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:14 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I have read the recall. It doesn't call for replacement of the clamps at all; there is nothing wrong with them. The issue is that some of them weren't crimped from the factory. If they spot one that hasn't been crimped, they simply crimp it if there isn't any leakage present. My tech said he's seen only one out of hundreds that he's done. Could be that the guy that had the leak got his over-crimped.
^^ That. It says to inspect and re-crimp if they are not correct. Nothing more. Mine were fine and so far knock on wood no leaks.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
^^ That. It says to inspect and re-crimp if they are not correct. Nothing more. Mine were fine and so far knock on wood no leaks.
I haven't read the recall, just going off what my dealer told me, they said they were told to replace and that's what they are doing, had the bike for an hour and I'm good with that.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I haven't read the recall, just going off what my dealer told me, they said they were told to replace and that's what they are doing, had the bike for an hour and I'm good with that.
my service writer/advisor says they have the crimping tool and were instructed to recrimp upon inspection determining they weren't crimped properly..who really knows what goes on in those backrooms sometimes

Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
my service writer/advisor says they have the crimping tool and were instructed to recrimp upon inspection determining they weren't crimped properly..who really knows what goes on in those backrooms sometimes
​​​​​​True, I suspect this recall is like getting answers on tuners and headpipes.... every dealer will have a different answer or method.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee 8 recall experience