Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 M8 postmortem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 PM
bigsteve113
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm keepin' mine !! Love it !! I am a little jealous though, because mine came with NONE of the problems that I read about daily on the interwebs !!!!!

Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsteve113
I'm keepin' mine !! Love it !! I am a little jealous though, because mine came with NONE of the problems that I read about daily on the interwebs !!!!!

Old 08-18-2017, 10:40 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

For David,,, wait for it..... right at the end

Last edited by TomcatCV62; 08-18-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
In your time?
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/p...ct-post-mortem

Mr. Skewl, have you seen the movie "The Terminator," where Arnold has a heads up display that gives him several possible responses to the janitor? That.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have had my RGS for close to a year now and it has been an exceptional bike in all aspects.

OP here is my resume for you to judge the value and merit of my statements.

:Years of riding experience - 61 plus years.

: Number of bikes owned - over 70

: Brands owned - Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Harley, Norton, Simplex and Whizzer.

: Lifetime miles - 500,000+ (85K for 2015 and 16 alone)

: Harleys owned - 30 with 22 still in the garage

My RGS is the best touring bike that I have ridden. Tracking, handling, Fuel economy (av. 52 mpg), braking, comfort and overall performance make it a total package. I only had 10K on it because I tour six of the collection each year. The others are for local riding.

The most vaulted Honda ever was the Honda Valkyrie Rune. I bought one and got ride of it in a year as it was deficient in many ways. Honda produced it as an example of their engineering and styling prowess. It was a dud and flop. Do a "post mortem" on it.

Check any other forum for negative comments. You will find on the Corvette forums the same type of complaints about problem. One example the Vet battery will go flat in 14 days if not left on a tender. The complaint is I paid X dollars for it and the battery should last longer.

Negative folks speak up more. The complaints on this forum about M8's is not in any way relevant to the number produced and the few issues it had.

What are the issues. A supplier did not clean the parts and it caused fragments to ruin some engines until the source was identified. New or rebuilding the engines were done promptly. Oil migrated from the trans to the primary case. New seal designed. The non wet heads with oil cooled lines had a union worker miss clamp the oil line hoses to the heads. Issue promptly corrected.

I had a new Ram truck that had a recall because a bolt in the drive train didn't get the thread locker applied and some trucks had the rear drive lock up. A safety recall was made and it took Dodge 6 months to decide what to do about it.

HD set up a team when the M8's went public and they were charged with identifying the issue when dealers first reported to them and getting the solution promptly. Few manufacturers react as fast as H-D.

Some folks are timid as they are not what is called "early adopters". I got the first RGS that came of the truck at my dealer. Had 10K miles of amazing riding across the midwest. Not single glitch as considerable majority of the roughly 100,000 M8's sold.

By the way I spent most of my working life in business and management. We called the examinations of a process/product a critique or review never head it ever called a post mortem. That seems unprofessional or morbid to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by lh4x4:
Spy11 (08-25-2017), Thingfish (08-28-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

It's the best and the worst Harley I've ever owned, I've owned seven. A couple dozen bikes in all. 55 years old. Been riding since 1971.

Yeah, I'd dump it in a heart beat if I could walk away clean and have my old twin cam back. I'm seriously thinking of taking the financial hit and trading for a Goldwing. That would be the first non-Harley streetbike I've owned since '86. I've never owned any bike, let alone a brand new bike, that I had to baby to get it through a 1500 mile trip to Sturgis and back. Dumping transmission fluid from the trans to the primary at the rate of 8 to 10 oz every 500 miles is seriously bad. It's mostly OK at 65 mph and below. Ride it at 75 and above it gets really bad. Have some fun around town with 4K to 4.5K rpm now and then and it's dumping transmission fluid like an electric pump.

It's smooth and torquey but I'd go back to the paint shaker twin cam tomorrow.

This is 2017, not 1975. I didn't sign up for this. I truly wish HD did react fast, but they are still in the complete denial mode for this problem. I'm not interested in owning a $26K motorcycle that I need to do fluid service several times a year.

I still ride it to work everyday, but I ride it slower than in the past. And man it doesn't make me proud to be seen on it. I bought mine in August 2016. I guess I'm a chump....

Last edited by ocezam; 08-19-2017 at 12:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Guy Lipsky (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 AM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
https://youtu.be/n9huSs0g67c

For David,,, wait for it..... right at the end
Thanks, I love that movie.

Originally Posted by Hammz
lol. Sorry a movie reference upset you.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Guy Lipsky
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Purchased yesterday with 28 miles she has 80 now so far dam I love her , so smooth and she gets up and goes

This was sitting beside my new rig in showroom

Old 08-19-2017, 10:56 AM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have had my RGS for close to a year now and it has been an exceptional bike in all aspects.

OP here is my resume for you to judge the value and merit of my statements.

:Years of riding experience - 61 plus years.
: Number of bikes owned - over 70
: Brands owned - Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Harley, Norton, Simplex and Whizzer.
: Lifetime miles - 500,000+ (85K for 2015 and 16 alone)
: Harleys owned - 30 with 22 still in the garage

My RGS is the best touring bike that I have ridden. Tracking, handling, Fuel economy (av. 52 mpg), braking, comfort and overall performance make it a total package. I only had 10K on it because I tour six of the collection each year. The others are for local riding..........

Some folks are timid as they are not what is called "early adopters". I got the first RGS that came of the truck at my dealer. Had 10K miles of amazing riding across the midwest. Not single glitch as considerable majority of the roughly 100,000 M8's sold.

By the way I spent most of my working life in business and management. We called the examinations of a process/product a critique or review never head it ever called a post mortem. That seems unprofessional or morbid to me.
Thank you sir for responding. No need to post your resume for your answer to have merit.

The "considerable majority" of M8 owners don't use this forum, and of those that do, this is a good platform for complaints. That is why I phrased the question the way I did, to try and filter through "tech support" issues and boil it down to pass/fail, go/no go, or would you/wouldn't you.

As far as the term "post mortem," I come from a publishing/advertising/software development background, and they're an irreverent bunch. More devil-may-care than morbid, but sometimes unprofessional.

Originally Posted by ocezam
It's the best and the worst Harley I've ever owned, I've owned seven. A couple dozen bikes in all. 55 years old. Been riding since 1971.

Yeah, I'd dump it in a heart beat if I could walk away clean and have my old twin cam back. I'm seriously thinking of taking the financial hit and trading for a Goldwing. That would be the first non-Harley streetbike I've owned since '86. I've never owned any bike, let alone a brand new bike, that I had to baby to get it through a 1500 mile trip to Sturgis and back. Dumping transmission fluid from the trans to the primary at the rate of 8 to 10 oz every 500 miles is seriously bad. It's mostly OK at 65 mph and below. Ride it at 75 and above it gets really bad. Have some fun around town with 4K to 4.5K rpm now and then and it's dumping transmission fluid like an electric pump.

It's smooth and torquey but I'd go back to the paint shaker twin cam tomorrow.

This is 2017, not 1975. I didn't sign up for this. I truly wish HD did react fast, but they are still in the complete denial mode for this problem. I'm not interested in owning a $26K motorcycle that I need to do fluid service several times a year.

I still ride it to work everyday, but I ride it slower than in the past. And man it doesn't make me proud to be seen on it. I bought mine in August 2016. I guess I'm a chump....
That really sucks! I know that many people as well as dealers will point out that you are in the 10% of owners who have problems, but for you, you're having 100% problems! It has to be maddening when the dealers give blank "that's not possible!" stares because the company as not discovered the problem, cause, or solution, yet!

Old 08-19-2017, 11:30 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,436 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
.. Oil migrated from the trans to the primary case. New seal designed. ..
The issue oil migration from the trans to the primary is already recognized and
solved?

Quick Reply: 2017 M8 postmortem