Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The warranty issue is real.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
Come on, lets be real here. Heatwave, you are beating the ****, cross that, have beaten the **** out of multiple "First Year" Harley M8 motors. I am very sorry they aren't holding up to your standards. Flaunting it all over the web that you are beating the **** out of them, isn't helping any case of trying to get resolution. It's not even hurting HD sales. It's really of no purpose, value or gain other than to prove the new M8 can have the **** beat out of it and break.

Ya, may sound harsh but come on, do you beat your truck, car or any other vehicle like that? What did you think would happen? Really bud, think about your response before responding.
Well “Bud” you have no idea who I am or the care I take of my vehicles. I own multiple hi-performance vehicles. They are serviced professionally, by-the-book, on the manufacturers schedule. I don’t go for all the nonsense of aftermarket lubricants. I run what the manufacturer recommends. Syn 3 in all 3 holes. I pay for my dealer to service my bike, just like I do my cars, boat, dirt bikes etc. i expect the products I buy to perform as designed and be covered by the manufacturer warranties.

I don’t run my bikes or cars on the track. Its really not that complicated. I’ve been riding motorcycles for almost 50 years so I’m not some guy that recently retired and is riding a motorcycle for the first time. My 2010 CVO is hi performance, ridden hard, serviced meticulously and was flawless for 65,000. I had the engine rebuilt last winter, by my dealer, after I heard what sounded like a lifter that was failing and sure enough it was. Most 110s have failing lifters by 40k so I’ll take 65,000 flawless miles out of a high performance 110 any day. Thats my expectation for my new 2017 as well. Anything less is unacceptable.

The following users liked this post:
dnespolo (10-02-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:01 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,338 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Once you’ve had 125hp/125ft lbs you can never go backwards in power. I will always have that level of power in a touring bike or my riding days will be behind me.
I find this interesting.. I own 3 bikes that all meet or beat these numbers and all weight around 550 to 600 lbs.. The M8 (stage II) I have right now is likely the slowest of all the street bikes I have but for me it's still plenty fun.. It will likely get built up some time after the warranty expires but it still fun as is... Heck, I'm happy with a good running 95 ci TC.. say 105/105 in an older (and lighter) RK, Dyna / softail. The only place I see the extra power worth while is on the more open roads.. Passing can be fun. Still a stray coyote, wild turkey or deer can ruin your day..

I guess tho with your weight ridding an Ultra, you need more..I weight 185 and the M8 RK is 110lbs lighter. I think that we all need a certain level of performance to be happy but the 600lb higher HP bikes can be a handful in the tight stuff when they make over 125/125. In my case more power is unnecessary.. I probably ride a you level definition 4-5 most of the time but will do a 6 or 7 if by myself and conditions are right. I see myself slowing down as the higher level you ride at the greater the chance of encountering a unrecoverable situation.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I find this interesting.. I own 3 bikes that all meet or beat these numbers and all weight around 550 to 600 lbs.. The M8 (stage II) I have right now is likely the slowest of all the street bikes I have but for me it's still plenty fun.. It will likely get built up some time after the warranty expires but it still fun as is... Heck, I'm happy with a good running 95 ci TC.. say 105/105 in an older (and lighter) RK, Dyna / softail. The only place I see the extra power worth while is on the more open roads.. Passing can be fun. Still a stray coyote, wild turkey or deer can ruin your day..

I guess tho with your weight ridding an Ultra, you need more..I weight 185 and the M8 RK is 110lbs lighter. I think that we all need a certain level of performance to be happy but the 600lb higher HP bikes can be a handful in the tight stuff when they make over 125/125. In my case more power is unnecessary.. I probably ride a you level definition 4-5 most of the time but will do a 6 or 7 if by myself and conditions are right. I see myself slowing down as the higher level you ride at the greater the chance of encountering a unrecoverable situation.
Also doesn’t sound like you do multi-thousand mile trips. I’ve had softails and smaller bikes but after riding ultras I couldn’t go back to a smaller bike. For around town and day trips I remove the detachable tp on my other bike and ride it like a streetglide. Handles even better in the twisties with lower CG, less weight and Michelin tires. But for 2up long distance the only real choices are an Ultra (CVO Limited) or a Goldwing or a Yamaha touring bike or an Indian Roadmaster. i’m not confortable in the BMW seating position and its not a very good 2up bike IMO.

I prefer staying American but power is a key factor. There aren’t too many options in a touring bike to get over 120hp with manufacturer parts. The Roadmaster is around 70hp and maybe you can get that to 90hp with their cam kit. The Yamaha intercontinental is also around 75 hp with no upgrades from the manufacturer. Goldwing is close at around 120hp. Even BMW that advertises 160hp really has 130hp at the rear wheel. So HD’s CVO Limited with stage 4 is as powerful or more powerful than almost every touring bike on the market (no...Boss Hoss doesn’t count as a touring bike!)

And Harley is at or near the top of the trq comparisons as well when you consider their stage 4kit.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-25-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Also doesn’t sound like you do multi-thousand mile trips. I’ve had softails and smaller bikes but after riding ultras I couldn’t go back to a smaller bike. For around town and day trips I remove the detachable tp on my other bike and ride it like a streetglide. Handles even better in the twisties with lower CG, less weight and Michelin tires. But for 2up long distance the only really choices are an Ultra (CVO Limited) or a Goldwing or a Yamaha touring bike or an Indian Roadmaster. i’m not confortable in the BMW seating position and its not a very good 2up bike IMO.

I prefer staying American but power is a key factor. There aren’t too many options in a touring bike to get over 120hp with manufacturer parts. The Roadmaster is around 70hp and maybe you can get that to 90hp with their cam kit. The Yamaha intercontinental is also around 75 hp with no upgrades from the manufacturer. Goldwing is close at around 120hp. Even BMW that always shows 160hp really has 130hp at the rear wheel. So HD’s CVO Limited with stage 4 is as powerful or more powerful than almost every touring bike on the market (no...Boss Hoss doesn’t count as a touring bike!)

Just got back from a 2200 mile trip on Thursday.. Used an 107 ci 07 Electraglide classic.. I fit everything in the saddlebags when I can and leave the tour pack off.. Hate what it does for the handling. This was an 8 day trip.. If the trip goes over 10 days, I add the tourpack.

I haven't use too many SE parts except for rocker towers.. I did for the the M8 RK as I wanted to keep the warranty. The numbers I get are rear wheel on a dyno, not something out of a catalog.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,909 Likes on 3,286 Posts

Met a guy this weekend with a 2017 RG and he had a stage 4 kit installed. I immediately asked if he had sumping issues. YES, on his 2nd oil pump and it go's into service today for the 3rd oil pump.
According to his service guy who's got two of these stage 4's sumping he says the moco is fully aware of the issue and it has a team of engineers trying to get it figured out. People are getting different versions of the pump with the hopes one will work then they can make that the new permanent pump but without a bunch of proven miles on the bike it's impossible to know which one is working.

He also said that the new 2018 114" & 117" come with a new design oil pump but the compression ratio on those bikes is 10:1 unlike the stage 4 build that's 11:1
That's just some info from a random guy I met Saturday morning.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

I went back and read the posts over the weekend and Christ O' Mighty. You guys arguing over who rides twisties better and someone saying the run their bike in the 5500 rpm range....

Get a grip on yourselves, you don't even know each other! Not only do you sound like a bunch of HS girls but even more so you sound like a bunch of F*** Idiots!

Go to bed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oldskewl:
jd05flhtci (09-25-2017), Speed (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I went back and read the posts over the weekend and Christ O' Mighty. You guys arguing over who rides twisties better and someone saying the run their bike in the 5500 rpm range....

Get a grip on yourselves, you don't even know each other! Not only do you sound like a bunch of HS girls but even more so you sound like a bunch of F*** Idiots!

Go to bed.
Pretty funny! No one argued who rides twisties harder. It was worth understanding what the definition of “riding twisties hard” actually means because that's one of the ways of making a stage 4 M8 create a sumping engine failure. Which in turn could result in a warranty claim.

Its always entertaining to watch knuckleheads complain about other posts. Did you know its pretty easy to check the box so you won’t get notices. Better yet did you know you can skip posts that aren’t relevant to you. But no... you chime in like a 3rd grade girl upset she wasn’t invited to the party. Lol Move on.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

you chime in like a 3rd grade girl upset she wasn’t invited to the party. Lol Move on.
I'm the biggest 3rd grader you'll ever meet. I'll leave it at that.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Heatwave

I'm the biggest 3rd grader you'll ever meet. I'll leave it at that.
Even more entertaining. For a guy complaining about others not knowing each other, yet you think being a “large 3rd grade girl” is suppose to intimidate others on the internet?? You have no idea but you did make me laugh this morningi so thanks!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Go to bed.
Just trying to figure out under what condition the motor sumps. Not bragging or complaining. It just the old, I did XXX and it sumped. Did go a little OT but with the discussion of power needed for corners tho most of the discussions here go OT at some point.

Quick Reply: The warranty issue is real.