Sponsored by:

Test Ride of 114 Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:01 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Test Ride of 114 Fat Bob

This weekend I checked out the new 114 series of Softails that have replaced the now-discontinued Dyna series. I had an extended ride on the new 114 Fat Bob and my reaction was – WOW.

The new engine, frame and suspension is better than anything they’ve made in the past. The stock 114 puts out an amazing amount of torque. Out of the hole, the bike will best my BMW 1200GS.

Gone is the rubber-mounted drive train. The frame is very rigid and fixed when pushed hard on curves.

The suspension has more rear travel than any of the stock Dynas as well as the stock Touring models! H-D is using a triangulated rear swing section with an adjustable shock under the seat. This set-up very much resembles that of the Guzzi Daytona and V11 Sport series. It all works well.

In some ways, labeling these bikes “Softails” is a shame since they have very little in common with the previous Softail models. That badge conjures up the hard suspension and limitations of the old Softail that is long gone now.

Would I buy one? Not yet. They are a little too “cruiserish” for me right now. I don’t like the forward pegs of pretty much all of them and I don’t like the cornering manners of the fat front tires as fitted to the bike I rode today.

The bikes have potential and the 114 engine is fantastic.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 AM
HalfMoon
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leafman60
This weekend I checked out the new 114 series of Softails that have replaced the now-discontinued Dyna series. I had an extended ride on the new 114 Fat Bob and my reaction was – WOW.

The new engine, frame and suspension is better than anything they’ve made in the past. The stock 114 puts out an amazing amount of torque. Out of the hole, the bike will best my BMW 1200GS.

Gone is the rubber-mounted drive train. The frame is very rigid and fixed when pushed hard on curves.

The suspension has more rear travel than any of the stock Dynas as well as the stock Touring models! H-D is using a triangulated rear swing section with an adjustable shock under the seat. This set-up very much resembles that of the Guzzi Daytona and V11 Sport series. It all works well.

In some ways, labeling these bikes “Softails” is a shame since they have very little in common with the previous Softail models. That badge conjures up the hard suspension and limitations of the old Softail that is long gone now.

Would I buy one? Not yet. They are a little too “cruiserish” for me right now. I don’t like the forward pegs of pretty much all of them and I don’t like the cornering manners of the fat front tires as fitted to the bike I rode today.

The bikes have potential and the 114 engine is fantastic.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I actually have a deposit on a Fat Bob 114 as I wait for a couple things to come together over the next few days, but I have been reconsidering. I think I am going to purchase a touring bike instead, probably the Road King Special and wait on the Fat Bob for a couple years.

My thoughts are that for the same money (or less) I can get another bike that will outperform the Bob in just about every area other than not being American or a HD. In the short term, I think I'm going to end up with a Ducati Monster 1200 R instead for the "sporty" feeling days. Cost is just about the same, the seating position is about the same, but the Duc has 160 HP and behaves like a more comfortable version of the supersport bikes (I'm not 20 anymore, so I can't fold up to ride a bike like I used to).

Maybe HD will buy Ducati as the rumors are whispering and we could see the Bob become a hybrid between the two in the coming revisions....

Old 09-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Nice write up. You should check out the Heritage before jumping to the touring bikes imo. 99% of the functionality and comfort in a much lighter bike with the 114 motor. It's geared taller than the Fat Bob I'm pretty sure so you won't have quite the same get up and gone, but it's very nice...and you could always drop a tooth to add to your low end.

We have a Monster 1200 in the garage. Fantastic bike. Much faster than a 114, but totally different feeling. You should also check out the BMW RNineT. Both great, but you still might find the HD scratches a different itch.

The following users liked this post:
HalfMoon (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:03 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I was just about to buy a Touring bike last month but waited to see what '18 would bring. I was undecided between the SGS and RKS, but they didn't get the 114" motors this year and the Fat Bob became much more attractive with the new frame, etc....didn't think I'd end up on another FB, but the world is a strange place.

So I will wait a couple of years for a true Tourer because I think the frame improvements will probably migrate to the Touring line over the next year or two, and the 114 or 117 motor will probably be standard then as well.

I have toured extensively on my current '14 Fat Bob so I have no reservations of doing so on the '18 Fat Bob for the next couple of years. A detachable screen, sissy bar and rack should work well. Side panniers for the '18 FB will be tough because of the upswept exhaust, but a big roll along tour bag on the rack should work well.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:25 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

The Harley is not a direct comparison to the European bikes mentioned in a couple of postings. Horsepower alone is not as important to me as the torque of an engine.

I've had Ducatis and BMW's (still have 3). Ain't the same thing. The eurobikes are good in their own way. Handling is top notch but they aren't the same visceral experience of a big block H-D. The H-D makes the Ducks and the Beemers seem like sissy bikes. lol joooooking (well maybe)

Maintenance on a Duc is a royal PITA and $$$$$.

Go ride a 114 Fat Bob and then decide.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 PM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I keep reading the HD/Ducati potential marriage has been put on hold???

Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,311 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by artsbest
I keep reading the HD/Ducati potential marriage has been put on hold???
Harley dropped out last I read and VW's union stomped on the sale putting everyone off. Apparently Polaris was one of five leading bidders

Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by leafman60
The Harley is not a direct comparison to the European bikes mentioned in a couple of postings. Horsepower alone is not as important to me as the torque of an engine.

I've had Ducatis and BMW's (still have 3). Ain't the same thing. The eurobikes are good in their own way. Handling is top notch but they aren't the same visceral experience of a big block H-D. The H-D makes the Ducks and the Beemers seem like sissy bikes. lol joooooking (well maybe)

Maintenance on a Duc is a royal PITA and $$$$$.

Go ride a 114 Fat Bob and then decide.

100% on point, could not have said it better. The new 114 Fat Bob is outstanding. A complete visceral and raw experience combined with a thoroughly modern excellent handling, outstanding brakes, fantastic torque that is right there with the excellent throttle control and a amazing smoothness. HD has magically combined all the visceral appeal with a 100% modern motorcycle, completely blown away here. I also have a couple of BMW motorcycles, love them all.

Waiting on a test ride on a new 114 Heritage which might replace my Road King if it is anything like the new 114 Fat Bob (crazy name BTW)

Old 09-06-2017, 10:11 PM
reesmicm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FatBob 114 - 3 1/2 gallon gas tank

Haven't seen one in person yet, but looks interesting. the main problem I have with some of the new softails is the 3 1/2 gallon gas tank. I had a 02 VROD with the small tank, it was really a pain to start looking for gas after 100 miles, takes out a lot of the fun riding, especially with something that wants to be aggressively ridden.

The FB is off my list until some proper FB gas tanks are available.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:42 AM
CQ-HarleyRider
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock 114 puts out an amazing amount of torque. I pulled out from the local dealer and slipped it into second gear and opened the throttle a bit. The rear let go and fish tailed up the street, scared the daylights out of me. I wasn't expecting it as I wasn't up it Hate to think how it'd go with a 117ci stage 4 under it.

Goes a lot harder than my 2016 CVO Road Glide did, then again it is 100kg lighter.

Quick Reply: Test Ride of 114 Fat Bob