Sponsored by:

Question on Stage 2 or 3 for M8

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Question on Stage 2 or 3 for M8

Hi all. I put down a deposit for a 18' SG and it won't be in for awhile as it is an anniversary model. I'm going to have the dealer do the Stage 1 for sure before I take delivery, but wondering about the Stage 2 or 3 depending on which one I decide on. I would like to gather some opinons on whether I should do the stage 2 or 3 upgrade before I take delivery? Or wait and have it done at the 1000 mile service?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I only have the stage 1, but I waited till after the 1000 mile service. I'm sure you'll get both sides of that...some saying to wait, others saying don't wait. I mean they had stage 4 bikes right on the showroom floor when I bought mine.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Think I'd wait also til the 1000 mile but if your shop has a good reputation with breaking motorcycles in with their dyno when doing stage work then go for it.

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 09-08-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:26 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I wouldn't waste time with the Harley stage kits beyond maybe the stage 2 torque cam while the bike was under warranty. You get an increase just not what you would from a good head porter and after market cam for the same or less money. If it were my money I would do the stage 2 and after the warranty is up look at who is making good broad power in the aftermarket.

If you were going stage 3 or 4 I would do it before delivery and break it in once.

That being said I have a hot rod built motor that I ride when I want to wick it up and the stock stage one 107 is not a slug. I am leaving mine alone.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:26 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

The stage kit you go with is up to you, the Videos Harley has on their stage kits were helpful to me when I had to decide. What I will say is to have it done before you take delivery. especially if your going stage III, because there have been no heat cycles, nothing to cleanup and everything is new all at the same time.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the stage 2 and am less than impressed. I understand the torque cam, is "EPA" so HD says, but my dyno run was 92/107. That doesn't trip my trigger at all. I'm seeing other folks, Fuel Moto, TTS and others posting triple digits on HP and 110-115 on the torque side. I would say save your money. Decide what you want you to do on the warranty bit and get real motor work done, if thats the route your headed. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by abadley
Hi all. I put down a deposit for a 18' SG and it won't be in for awhile as it is an anniversary model. I'm going to have the dealer do the Stage 1 for sure before I take delivery, but wondering about the Stage 2 or 3 depending on which one I decide on. I would like to gather some opinons on whether I should do the stage 2 or 3 upgrade before I take delivery? Or wait and have it done at the 1000 mile service?
what is your intended purpose for this bike, primarily hot rodding around or Touring? primary solo or a mix of two up?

since you are doing the Stage 1 right off the bat regardless, and is prerequisite to further Stage upgrades, and if going SE just do the ECM recalibration, I'd ride it that way until close to the 60 day expiration for SE upgrades still under warranty..you may just like it enough to stop there..I did, except had them dyno tune with SESPT for even better performance.

doesn't sound like money is a concern and if you just want a ball buster then go Stage 4 under warranty..can't imagine that would feel underpowered or not perform great for the vast majority of people and you don't have the headaches of trying to tune with an aftermarket tuner and parts and kick your warranty to the curb..my biggest concern would be doing a Stage 2 and not being satisfied, then do a 3 and regret just not going all the way and have wasted time and money with incremental upgrades

all starts with the first question, what are your intentions on how you want to use this bike?

good luck

Old 09-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

What I did, and what I recommend, for any M8, is that if the Harley sound is something you want in your new bike go straight to Stage2. Just doing a Stage 1 on these bikes for me doesn't cut it in the idle sound department.

Whilst a M8 won't ever sound like an evo, doing the cam too will give a nice improvement. My result was 97/109 which gives the bike a great ride experience but it also sounds killer.

The following 3 users liked this post by Oz Dan:
Olive oil 2.0 (09-09-2017), Super2k (05-18-2020), teedoff65 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:53 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
What I did, and what I recommend, for any M8, is that if the Harley sound is something you want in your new bike go straight to Stage2. Just doing a Stage 1 on these bikes for me doesn't cut it in the idle sound department.

Whilst a M8 won't ever sound like an evo, doing the cam too will give a nice improvement. My result was 97/109 which gives the bike a great ride experience but it also sounds killer.
Could one assume that you could get even better sound from aftermarket cams and tunes?

Asking cause I think I'll wait till my warranty is no longer a concern, then do the cam upgrade.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Could one assume that you could get even better sound from aftermarket cams and tunes?

Asking cause I think I'll wait till my warranty is no longer a concern, then do the cam upgrade.
Yes I think that's a good assumption. The tune is important, as is a catless header. In Australia we still have access to the old SE tuners and with a dyno the actual Harley cam sounds great. Goes good too.

Quick Reply: Question on Stage 2 or 3 for M8