Sponsored by:

A.B.S or DIE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Professional (years of performance riding) riders can out brake ABS...under ideal dry conditions...
This fairy tale continues to circulate. No matter how "professional" you are, humans just do not have the senses required to control a braking system as precisely as an ABS system does under emergency braking, period. ABS systems are comparing wheel motion and brake pressure something like 50 times a second - something a human can never hope to achieve. If they could, you wouldn't need to restrict your statement to dry conditions.

This reminds me of a previous ABS discussion where a guy was complaining that the ABS on his bike made him ride right through an intersection instead of stopping. It was pretty obvious that with or without ABS he'd have still gone through the intersection - the only difference was that with ABS he was still upright on the bike.

Last edited by FurryOne; 10-04-2017 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FM500 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Ya know - I just purchased a 2015 Heritage (nice deal) cause I don't care for the new one & don't wanna be a tester on the new suspension system & make over of the new heritage. well whatta ya know - the 15 has ABS - so know I have a bike with standard ABS - go figure.

So after riding it - I really know no difference YET...! & honestly it don't matter one way or the other, I ride my ride - stay within my limits & do the best I can with what I have - no matter with ABS or with out. If you need / absolutely have to have ABS then your choice but as mentioned its not a crutch for lack of ability - if you are reliant on ABS due to lack of ability then regardless you are asking for trouble.

in my time of riding - I have had & can count on 1 hand the amount of times I was distracted or just being stupid that I had to rely on brakes & luck or skill which ever the good lord blessed me with at the time to safely stop or evade serious harm.

NOW...............I don't have enough hands to tell you how many times harm has dam near got me due to others (cage drivers) & in those cases no ABS system was gonna do me a dam ounce of good. so ABS, a prayer, guardian bell , skill luck or whatever may you all ride safe & stay safe!

The following 2 users liked this post by LXT:
FM500 (10-05-2017), mjwebb (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,613 Likes on 4,456 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Ya know - I just purchased a 2015 Heritage (nice deal) cause I don't care for the new one & don't wanna be a tester on the new suspension system & make over of the new heritage. well whatta ya know - the 15 has ABS - so know I have a bike with standard ABS - go figure.

So after riding it - I really know no difference YET...! & honestly it don't matter one way or the other, I ride my ride - stay within my limits & do the best I can with what I have - no matter with ABS or with out. If you need / absolutely have to have ABS then your choice but as mentioned its not a crutch for lack of ability - if you are reliant on ABS due to lack of ability then regardless you are asking for trouble.

in my time of riding - I have had & can count on 1 hand the amount of times I was distracted or just being stupid that I had to rely on brakes & luck or skill which ever the good lord blessed me with at the time to safely stop or evade serious harm.

NOW...............I don't have enough hands to tell you how many times harm has dam near got me due to others (cage drivers) & in those cases no ABS system was gonna do me a dam ounce of good. so ABS, a prayer, guardian bell , skill luck or whatever may you all ride safe & stay safe!
btw..I still think the pre M8 Heritage is the best looking bike Harley ever made..loved my 2004 (I bought Evel Knievel's bike btw) and my 2013..congrats on the nice ride

Attached Thumbnails A.B.S or DIE!-picture-434.jpg   A.B.S or DIE!-dsc03033.jpg  
LXT (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:29 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Screw ABS. When I hit the brakes, I expect a certain response from the bike. I've been ambushed by ABS twice. Naturally, I was expecting the rear brake to contribute to my deceleration. Both times, the ABS let the rear brake grab for a second and then it completely bailed - I got the front brake only. Screw that. It seems like the rear ABS is calibrated to keep the rider from flat-spotting the rear tire.
Who cares about that when you are trying to stop Right F'n Now!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:42 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
Screw ABS. When I hit the brakes, I expect a certain response from the bike. I've been ambushed by ABS twice. Naturally, I was expecting the rear brake to contribute to my deceleration. Both times, the ABS let the rear brake grab for a second and then it completely bailed - I got the front brake only. Screw that. It seems like the rear ABS is calibrated to keep the rider from flat-spotting the rear tire.
Who cares about that when you are trying to stop Right F'n Now!
Free education for you! "Flat spotting" a tire is the result of having it locked up and sliding. A motorcycle, or car for that matter, will slow faster with the tires just shy of lock up. Feel free to share your new found knowledge!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:51 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

this thread's played out..think about every point has been made..those who don't believe or trust it won't be persuaded, unless maybe they find themselves in a situation where they reconsider...people that realize the benefits are already in the know..and there's the learn proper braking techniques crowd (which should always be first and foremost) and a little of every opinion in between..what's left to discuss, and why is this even an M8 topic

Last edited by mjwebb; 10-04-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
this thread's played out..think about every point has been made..those who don't believe or trust it won't be persuaded, unless maybe they find themselves in a situation where they reconsider...people that realize the benefits are already in the know..and there's the learn proper braking techniques crowd (which should always be first and foremost) and a little of every opinion in between..what's left to discuss, and why is this even an M8 topic
Not every thread has to have an endgame. There can still be entertainment long after that point has been reached.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear
Not every thread has to have an endgame. There can still be entertainment long after that point has been reached.
good point..commence...wouldn't want to 'apply the brakes' too soon on this one...mainly I was questioning why it's brought up on M8 forum..Lord knows there's plenty of M8 specific issues to discuss..not like I'm worried about someone breaking my record on the transmission fluid transfer post

Last edited by mjwebb; 10-04-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:38 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys it was brought up on this m8 forum because people were advising a guy to buy a "new" 2017 tourer without abs.I know you guys are experienced and fully understand the difference.I did not intend the riders of pre cross linked abs to migrate here,but I am glad they will know the difference whilst they have an opportunity to choose.Counter arguement is beyond reason.Like buying a new parachute just like the old one! With a hole in it?

FM500 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:18 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
Guys it was brought up on this m8 forum because people were advising a guy to buy a "new" 2017 tourer without abs.I know you guys are experienced and fully understand the difference.I did not intend the riders of pre cross linked abs to migrate here,but I am glad they will know the difference whilst they have an opportunity to choose.Counter arguement is beyond reason.Like buying a new parachute just like the old one! With a hole in it?
There is nothing wrong with parachutes with holes..... well some holes anyway, I T-10's have a big hole in the top, and I have damn near 100 jumps on those, and -1's have a big hole on one side, that I also successfully jumped countless times.

Quick Reply: A.B.S or DIE!