Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road glide inner and outer fairing fitment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Road glide inner and outer fairing fitment.

Anyone else's fairing overlap just a little at the point where they meet under the headlight? Losing my mind trying to get the alignment right on it.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked at mine, its flush..

Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Mine is flush as well.

Take a look at the tabs/slots on your inner fairing. I had a painted inner installed by the dealer before I took delivery on my 16. The genius that installed it didn't get the tabs for the inner fairing inside the slots they go in. Everything went together but it wasn't quite right. I called them about the squeaks and rattles and thankfully my service manual came in a day later. I took the outer off to install audio stuff and found the inner tabs/slots were not correct, the tabs were sitting in front or forward of the slots they are supposed to be in. It caused a bunch of other misalignment but of course the highly skilled tech just gronked everything back together. If I wouldn't have found it the fairing would have ate itself within a few hundred miles.

You don't have to pull the outer to see the tabs/slots, just look up underneath the bike and you will be able to see if they are properly aligned. If not you will have to pull everything to realign, but it's pretty easy. Bike is in the shop for engine rebuild right now or I would snap a pic for you.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Mine is flush as well.

Take a look at the tabs/slots on your inner fairing. I had a painted inner installed by the dealer before I took delivery on my 16. The genius that installed it didn't get the tabs for the inner fairing inside the slots they go in. Everything went together but it wasn't quite right. I called them about the squeaks and rattles and thankfully my service manual came in a day later. I took the outer off to install audio stuff and found the inner tabs/slots were not correct, the tabs were sitting in front or forward of the slots they are supposed to be in. It caused a bunch of other misalignment but of course the highly skilled tech just gronked everything back together. If I wouldn't have found it the fairing would have ate itself within a few hundred miles.

You don't have to pull the outer to see the tabs/slots, just look up underneath the bike and you will be able to see if they are properly aligned. If not you will have to pull everything to realign, but it's pretty easy. Bike is in the shop for engine rebuild right now or I would snap a pic for you.
This all started after I installed some invisible fairing mounts. I wasn't sure if it was already like that or not but just went back through some pictures I had taken and it was flush before. I think the mounts are pushing the outer fairing out by the signals and distorting everything now that I look at it.